MiniMag LED upgrade

customh

Newly Enlightened
Whis is the best way to go with a minimag, I want to get the Nite-ize LED and IQ Switch upgrade, but I don't know if the 1 watt Luxeon (that is the Nite-Ize bulb) is the best way to go, the combo is going to end up around 20 bucks shipped, so what do you guys reccommend otherwise? Oh, and I really want the the IQ switch, or something like it...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Same with what GeorgePaul suggested. It looks like The Sandwich Shoppe has no drop-in sammies on hand for the moment. But they have the SMJLED. Primarily for use in Maglite's Solitaire, but can also be used in the other MiniMaglites. Check it out here:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=861

Personally, I'd go with the Kroll clicky tailcap switch for the MiniMag. Replace the reflector and window/lens. The Sandwich Shoppe has it all.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one at the Sandwich Shoppe is good if you want extremely long runtime and modest LuxI level output. But if you want something really bright (for a MiniMag), Terralux is coming out with an SSCP4 version of their TLE-5. Battery Junction will have it when it comes out.

Streamer

Enlightened
I read somewhere that the IQ switch robs you of all your lights power. Don't really know if it is true... Better check it out.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For not much more than $20, you can get one of the MiniMag LEDs with a Luxeon 3 in it. You might want to weigh that against spending $20 to upgrade an existing MiniMag. As already mentioned, the IQ switch does tend to introduce some resistance into the circuit that diminishes the level of overall output from the light. There are other switches on the market that do not have that level of resistance and will not have as much impact on the overall output of the light, though they are generally produced for the original MiniMag and may require some modification with a MiniMag LED. The easiest one to adapt is probably the switch from TerraLux which can be adapted by just stretching the spring a little.

customh said:
Whis is the best way to go with a minimag, I want to get the Nite-ize LED and IQ Switch upgrade, but I don't know if the 1 watt Luxeon (that is the Nite-Ize bulb) is the best way to go, the combo is going to end up around 20 bucks shipped, so what do you guys reccommend otherwise? Oh, and I really want the the IQ switch, or something like it...

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
For not much more than $20, you can get one of the MiniMag LEDs with a Luxeon 3 in it. You might want to weigh that against spending $20 to upgrade an existing MiniMag. As already mentioned, the IQ switch does tend to introduce some resistance into the circuit that diminishes the level of overall output from the light. There are other switches on the market that do not have that level of resistance and will not have as much impact on the overall output of the light, though they are generally produced for the original MiniMag and may require some modification with a MiniMag LED. The easiest one to adapt is probably the switch from TerraLux which can be adapted by just stretching the spring a little.

Well if you already have a 2AA MM, then it totally makes sense to upgrade it. For one thing, the 2AA MMLED is noticeably longer than the original MM. Second, the output on the newer 2AA MM isn't all that great and it has that issue people have been complaining about where it just dies when batteries are really low rather than going into moon mode.

I own both and I can say that a standard 2AA MM with the new Terralux SSCP4 upgrade costing a total of around $33 is better than the 2AA MMLED costing around $23 in output and size. And like I said if you already have a 2AA MM, the choice is that much more clear to me.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
ace0001a said:
I own both and I can say that a standard 2AA MM with the new Terralux SSCP4 upgrade costing a total of around $33 is better than the 2AA MMLED costing around $23 in output and size. And like I said if you already have a 2AA MM, the choice is that much more clear to me.

From where did you purchase your Terralux SSCP4 Minimag upgrade?

pilou

Enlightened
ace0001a said:

I thought the terralux SSC P4 wasn't even out yet. All I can find now is the K2 upgrade, and according to FlashlighReview, the MinimagLED has far more output. It might have been a defective unit, but I won't take that for granted.

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
For not much more than $20, you can get one of the MiniMag LEDs with a Luxeon 3 in it. You might want to weigh that against spending $20 to upgrade an existing MiniMag.

Until the SSC P4 upgrade comes out, it is simply impossible to argue against this logic. Everytime I think about it, I can only justify it as an opportunity to do some tinkering. Also, if you are not lumping this upgrade into an order for something else, the shipping charges make the economics look even worse. Once you reach the $35-40 level, you can actually buy nicer lights.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks are really sentimental about their Minimags. I mean, for less than $32, one can order a Fenix L2S.

customh

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to keep the minimag and get as much output out of it as I can on 2AAs. And I like the modes of the IQ switch, so with that, which LED should I get?

vic2367

Enlightened
yes,,wait for the seoul p4upgrade,,or get the terralux tle-5k2 ,,,,ive got the 5k2 on my mini mag AA ,,,great light,,,no complaints,,,am waiting on the newer seoul upgrade,,,will be getting one as soon as it comes out...also get the terralux lcs-1 tail clickie,,i also have one,,,great product,,,also get the glass lens ,,from lighhound,,,i also have that mod,,,good light mods that i use hard everyday,,,i work on the nyc trains as a conductor so i use my ligh very much/hard,,no failures as of yet...been using this set up for about 2 months now,,,i would try lithium batteries though,,,

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just picked one of these up at Target last night for $20. Not bad at all, really. I had heard about the IQ sapping a lot of power, but also had heard that they re-worked the circuit to greatly reduce this. Using a cheap 2AA with a Sears upgrade bulb in it as a control light, I have to say that I can not tell if it is any dimmer when I add the IQ. It must be a huge improvement over the early switches. My only suggestion would be bigger steps down to medium and low. Runtime gets huge on low, but it is still fairly bright for dark adapted eyes.

The LED module is no barn burner, but it is nice, much brighter than an SMJLED mod, of which I have a couple. Mine has a slightly warm tint, very pleasant, and is almost a dead match in output on high for a Fenix L1P. The beam is darn smooth with the new reflector, with only a tad bit of artifacts, but when you go for a wide flood, it is the usual story (donut hole). It does have just a bit of really good focus, though, just like the Mag LED's.
An upgrade to the SSC P4 looks a little too easy, BTW. I have not pried at it, but it appears as if the emitter is just plugged into the converter base with the tabs bent down. Not sure if any adhesive is under the slug. If the color were not so nice, I would have been prying at it already, I have a couple of P4's on hand.

Yeah, it is hard to balance the cost of what you get here with how little more a whole light can be had for, but it delivers what it promises for the old classic form factor of the MM. Definitely a keeper for me.

Hondo

Last edited: