Best LED 2-AA light out there???

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone, i've been out of the loop for a while (working far too much) anyway I'm looking for an LED light powered by two AA cells.

I like the Fenix lights and have one L1 series and two LO series the L0D-CE being the latest, which I really like.

I was about to buy the Fenx L2D-CE but now I'm not so sure and since I've now seen the Lumapower M3 I'm back to square one.

Here's what I'm looking for;

LED based
Less than $100
Powered by 2-AA's (alkaline & lithium & NiMH powered)
Two light levels minimum, preferably three
Max distance 40 ft, prefer flood to distance (unless I can have both ;) )

Ideas? Suggestions?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer flood to distance M3 should be your choice. I was always using Fenix but after getting M3 I notice that I tend to use it more often in the real world.
Of course in the figures world Fenix is superior but for some reason I cannot fathom I always find my keys in the real world....:naughty:

In any case remember CPF motto and if you can buy both !!!!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your opinion does the Fenix have more throw than the M3? I'm looking for a compromise solution here.

IIRC the M3 has an adjustable flood/focus bezel? I'm generally against this concept but the Maglight AA LED seems to have pulled this off ok.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look here, the basic situation is very simple: you have two flashlights that are very similar, same LED, same formfactor, etc. Fenix has a circuit that slightly favors power and Lumapower's slightly favors runtime. But L2D has a smooth reflector and M3 an orange peel one and this makes the real difference as in other lights.

It is really your choice, you may think of it as having a light with two reflectors: you cannot use them both, it's one or the other.
As to the focusing function of M3, this is nothing like Mag. The bezel is normally screwed in completely, if you loosen it by one or two turns you increase the flood. The switch is not involved.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
that would be perfect. where can we find op reflector?

fenix is capable of brighter light, yes. but as far as runtime, remember it has four brightness levels!

Dobbler

Enlightened
What is the package cost of TurboForce head + M3 transformer complete? When is it available?