Newbie TLR1 question

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I would really like a light that will illuminate a person or object out to about 200 feet. I don't expect it to blind any one at that distance just light someone or something up enough so that it is fairly easy to be able to identify what it is or be able to tell if it's a person or not. Would the TLR-1 be able to do this? Also would it be bright enough to at least make someone want to or need to squint their eyes out to around 100 feet? I apologize for my ignorance here I'm just inexperienced. I appriciate the help.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The STreamlight TLR-1 is a weapon light/atteches to the accessory rails of a handgun or appropriately accessorized long arm. It doesn't have a strong enough beam to do what you describe. It's a good light, but it's also LED and suffers as such in terms of throw.

For what you describe, I'd look at one of the several incans available: Surefire 9P, Streamlight TL-3, etc.

--dan

mspeterson

Enlightened
I wouldn't count on a small weapon light to be effective at those distances. Remember, the TLR-1 is designed primarily for use on pistols. My TLR-1 was more of a close quarters/mid range beam, a nice compromise between flood/throw. They are great lights and killer values, you will be impressed if you have the proper expectations! Maybe take a look at Surefire weaponlights, possibly the X200A, or wait for the X300!

Edit to add: Dano beat me to the punch, what he said!

Last edited:

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I sure appriciate your replies. I just talked to a friend of mine on the phone who is an LEO(I didn't know he had one:eek:). He said 60-70 feet max. Does that sound a bit more realistic? I've decided on a Wolf Eys for my SKS(Wolf Eyes 6HX Sniper Tactical Flashlight + get a push button tail cap ). It's 130 lumens so it might come a little closer to what I had originally hoped for.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
You might also follow this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166659
(debating best flash for throw)

And look at this:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139486
(putting 5D bulbs in a 2C mag). Here's a howto
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94740&highlight=3x123+mod

I so gotta try that:
CroMAGnet said:
So I took the Mag, now loaded with the 612 out for a test drive to see how it performed in the real world. It's a clear night with a sliver of a moon and my street has no lights so it's dark, enough so you can't see the end of the street which is about 150+ yards away. At least until the CL-612 fires some photons down there. Long tight spot lights up the end of the street easily. You could clearly see a lot of detail at 100 yards and still pretty clear at 150. Very nice. Sorry I don't have pics for you guys but hopefully I'll get some nice shots tomorrow.

Here are the totals.

CL-1499 28,000 LUX
CL-612 24,000 LUX
GH24 18,000 LUX
CA1057p 16,000 LUX
Stock Mag 2C 6,400 LUX

I really like the Mag's large reflector when used with an incan. Don't know how a filament would stand up to the SKS though.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find one a Malkoff Drop-in would probably do what your looking for. Its a Maglite drop-in for c cell or d cell. Google Malkoff devices to check it out.