I want a LS, but which variation to get...?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've been away for a long time and haven't kept up. This is what I want, something with the brightest hotspot and farthest throw (narrow beam). I know I want the 5w one. Is that only the LS3? The site doesn't state the properties of the various LS heads so I'm confused what the differences are. So what is the best head and battery pack for me?

Can somebody be kind enough to explain the diffences. Or point me in the right direction. Much appreciated
grin.gif
Arc-LSL Standard
Arc-LSL Premium
Arc-LSH Standard
Arc-LSH Premium

kev1-1

Enlightened
This may be wrong but...

Arc-LSL Standard...low dome, rounder beam, more diffused, not good throw.

Arc-LSL Premium...same as above but whiter LED.

Arc-LSH Standard...high dome, squareish beam, less diffused, better throw.

Arc-LSH Premium...same but whiter.

All these are 1w only. 2 x AA gives longer run time.

I'm sure people will correct me
smile.gif

EDIT...I REALLY WANT A LSH Premium to!!
rolleyes.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The premiums are also brighter, due to the use of parts from a P or Q flux bin. The standards can use an N or O I believe.

Lexus

Enlightened
Yeah, I absolutely agree with this_is_nascar. The LSH-P is not blue-white or green-white, it's white-white and has a very good throw for an LED. Ok, it costs 160 $ but it's worth every cent. If I lost mine, I would buy a LSH-P again. It's my favorite EDC light.
AFAIK the LS3 has a wider hotspot, more light output, but I think the LSH-P throws further because the beam is more "surefire-like", but much whiter.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello gx93117,

I spent a lot of time evaluating the various LS products. I kept being put off by the color tints. I told myself that I would be "damned" if I would spend a lot of money on a light.

I am "Damned"...

Like this_is_nascar, Lexus, and others, I have a LSH-P. I am totally impressed. Beautiful white color, very usable beam shape, adequate throw, and from what I can tell reading here, the quality is consistant from light to light.

Peter G and ARC have a real winner in this light.

Battery packs are a different matter. My initial reluctance to purchase the LSH-P was due to the high cost of replacement batteries. The 123 battery can be found at reasonable prices with quantity orders, but all of that savings can be erased with one purchase at the local camp ground store for $15 for two batteries (if they have that one in stock at all). The WOW factor with the small battery pack is great, but I have a 2X AA pack on order. You can borrow AA batteries from your hiking partner if you have to. I also think that the light will fit in my hands better with the longer battery pack. Time will tell.

Tom

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the LSH-P is fabulous but my two LS1's are wonderful! I have a total of $125.00 invested in the two and that also includes the clickie, AA pack, and twist pack in that $125.00. Yes, one is blueish but bright and the other is about 10-20% brighter and almost pure white, (I guess I lucked out on that one)! For a total investment of $125.00, I can also knock the heck out of them. I love my "old models"!
smile.gif

key

Newly Enlightened
What about the arc ls1 rev-2
Can any one tell me what the 1 stands for?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by key:
What about the arc ls1 rev-2
Can any one tell me what the 1 stands for?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">'1' = low dome emitter, which is LSL. The names changed to make their meaning more intuitive. The best verbal explanation I recall is in Peter Gransee's post of 2003 products over here.

As a total side-note, that's not only a good question, but it's one whose answer can't be searched easily at all and needs to rely on historical memory more than anything else. Maybe it should be put into a FAQ, because it does in fact get asked & answered frequently.

[edit] Aha! I found that your answer almost exists at the 'acronyms' link at the bottom of the page. That list just needs to be expanded with the '1' = 'L'= low dome = broad beam.

key

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick answer.it was very helpful:)Being a locksmith,my new arc ls1 rev-2 is like night to day compared to a regular flashlight.Hay I have a gold mine Idea, if this super light can work like a probe light,the locksmith and other trades would wellcome such a bright light.....just a thought.now im off to get a ls2 premium...Love these lights.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a side note that it does look like a good deal even though it doesn't appear to be a 'premium'. At least I don't see "premium" in the auction description.

For my money, and having just bought a Surefire KL1 which comparitively looks purple in the center with a greenish surround, it's a good backup light but for everyday use I prefer the color of the Arc LSH-premium. The Arc LSH-nonpremium's color is not specifically spec'd to be as white as the premium. The LSH-P is beautifully white and worth the extra $$$ if you're the fanatical personality willing to save up for that extra level of perfection. This isn't to say that the KL1 is bad, nor the LSx-nonpremium. The color tints probably aren't that noticeable unless you've already been treated to Peter G's version of 'white'. Plus, the KL1 + E2e works out to about $60 less than the LSH-P, and that LSH-regular on ebay looks like a good deal too if you're not a perfectionist. 'Pays yer money, takes yer choice.'
smile.gif

key

Newly Enlightened
I emailed him.Will keep you posted.Im hoping to its a:Arc LSH-premium. saince it says on the auction thats its a high dome.if so thats a realy super deal compaired to 160.00 i keep hearing........
Update, hes gots two more on his auction but now the price has gone up:(

key

Newly Enlightened
Well I called him:) realy cool guy,he said.arc only makes ls1 and ls2. sl1 is low dome ls2 is hi dome....hope that helps:)