The next terrorist attack - when and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After this attack in Scotland and the failed attemps in London, I've been think of when and what will hit us next. As much as us flashaholics' would love a power outage, it would only be fun for the first night then if it was a prolonged outage we would see how bad it would really be...

My view is that we are overdue for some kind of attack and I think it may be against our power grid - which is VERY fragile...

DM51

Flashaholic
If they are anything like as incompetent and brainless as this UK crowd have been, you don't have a lot to worry about. If guys like these tried to hit a power station, I doubt they would even manage to put out the light on the entrance sign. And that assumes they would manage to get there in the first place. The 2 car-bombs in London yesterday both failed, then today these 3 guys in Scotland tried to drive an SUV through the revolving door at an airport terminal - what idiots. One of them was the only casualty - his "bomb" didn't go off properly - it caught fire instead and he got burn injuries. The 3 of them were arrested on the spot.

It did all cause a lot of disruption, though.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Although this is an interesting question to pondor and may be a real concern for some, do you think it is a good idea to have a group of people, in public, discuss their ideas of where, when and how? This just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. :shrug:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
My view is that we are overdue for some kind of attack and I think it may be against our power grid - which is VERY fragile...

We are likely overdue for a strike of some type, and that is a major concern. Smaller attacks like car bombs and the like can be done on any given day with minimum resources. I guess you have to ask why we have not seen this kind of attack.

1. Is it because they don't have funding? NO

2. Is it because they don't have the people? NO

3. is it due to good law enforcement and intelligence? Yes, in part

Al Qaeda still is looking for a spectacular attack for the US. I suspect that the reason we have seen little else is because they are busy planning "A big one".

I sure hope I'm wrong. There has been enough loss of life in recent years. The where, how and when are truly unknown. What is of more importance is that individuals have emergency plans and supplies for themselves and their families. The best defense in any emergency, natural or otherwise is YOU.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Here in the UK we are used to this sort of "terrorism" aimed at causing panic and terror but actually its the disruption and delays that annoy us. It's like some muppet jumping in front of a train. The rest of life just goes on, just with a more difficult commute.

Quite frankly terrorists in the UK have been quite pathetic. From what I can tell they have much to learn from the IRA. Like how they may as well work for peace now because we will not be beaten by terrorists.

It seems we have more to fear from the rain then we do from terrorists. :ohgeez:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems we have more to fear from the rain then we do from terrorists. :ohgeez:

One is far more likely to be affected directly by natural disaster than terrorism. Preparedness is similar for both, as far as a regular citizen can go. If you are reasonably prepared for natural disaster, you are probably as well prepared for terrorism as you can be.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Al Qaeda still is looking for a spectacular attack for the US. I suspect that the reason we have seen little else is because they are busy planning "A big one".
Al Qaeda is not our only problem. A recent plot to blow up Kennedy Airport involved some who were US citizens. I suspect as the number of US citizens who feel disenfranchised for whatever reason grows, terrorism from within will be our greatest worry.

Next Al Qaeda attack? Who knows? I suspect they're not bothering with small stuff like car bombs because they're planning something spectacular. And I personally feel on the question of nuclear terrorism (either a dirty bomb or a suitcase nuke) it's a matter of when/where rather than if.

Empath

Flashaholic
Public lists of vulnerabilities and public presentation of potential hit lists seems more suited to a closed system like the Underground. Feel free to open the topic there.

Status
Not open for further replies.