Need help with Kl1 emitter swap

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have a old style 1 watt Kl1 head that need an upgrade, what is the best led to use? I don't want to change the driver, will a 3w luxeon be a satisfactory improvement?

Thanks for any help!

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks LukeA,

One more question, Where is a good place to get the SSC P4?

I just got the bezel off today without breaking anything:D...so I guess its safe to order a couple of stars....

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine from DX, but a CPFer (PhotonFanatic?) sells them and with better quality control.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the original type KL1 with fins, i'd get a Seoul and swap the optic to a Kharod 17mm reflector. I have one right now with the old Batwing Lux and a McR18 that is actually pretty nice, but it barely fits. As soon as I have a Seoul or TFFC K2 to swap in there I will.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with a Seoul emitter, and you won't need the star. The heatsink has a hole dead center for the base of the LED, and it's just big enough for the LED itself. Buying an emitter mounted on a star will just be a waste of money for this particular mod.

cryhavok

Enlightened
I'm not sure what gen KL1 you have, but I swapped a SSC P4 into my KL1 as shown in this thread

If you have the same head, be sure to use a small spacer to bring the LED a little higher or the beam won't be as nice.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with a Seoul emitter, and you won't need the star. The heatsink has a hole dead center for the base of the LED, and it's just big enough for the LED itself. Buying an emitter mounted on a star will just be a waste of money for this particular mod.

Partly true, partly completely false. If this is the first generation KL1 head, then there is NO HEATSINK with a hole to put the emitter in. You CAN use just the emitter if you re-use the emitter board in there, or you can remove the emitter board completely and replace it with a star.

See these threads for reference: 1 2 Link

HAHA, I also just realized this is almost a 2 year old thread! I bet the OP doesn't need help anymore...

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Seoul P4 is a straight swap since the form factor is the same. However, the beam will be different, and I recommend changing the optic for a reflector. A Khatod or IMS 17 is cheap and a direct fit, although some swear by a McR 18 or 20, but it has to be cut down I believe. Photonfanatic should have the parts.