Any 8AA battery carriers for 2D Mag that work without having to bore the light?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering which cells and battery carriers there are (if any) that will work in a stock 2D Mag without having to bore it out. Also, I have heard that colored Mag's may have looser bodies than black ones, any true to this? I have a blue one.

I've been thinking of picking up a 8AA battery carrier, a package of eneloops and running a 6 cell krypton bulb in my 2D Maglite. There will be a slight overdrive on fresh batteries, but I think nothing significant under load. (.6V)

I would love to hear any success stories of this type of mod.

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering which cells and battery carriers there are (if any) that will work in a stock 2D Mag without having to bore it out. Also, I have heard that colored Mag's may have looser bodies than black ones, any true to this? I have a blue one.

I've been thinking of picking up a 8AA battery carrier, a package of eneloops and running a 6 cell krypton bulb in my 2D Maglite. There will be a slight overdrive on fresh batteries, but I think nothing significant under load. (.6V)

I would love to hear any success stories of this type of mod.

You can fir 4 across in a M@g as long as you use some nice thin cells (Eneloop) and a Modamag 8aa to 2d adapter. I was also looking at this,, and I found a thread here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119756&highlight=fit

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/104688&highlight=fit

and Here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94112&highlight=fit

There are some that will, as long as the labels are lined up and you use the modamag adapter.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just try to get 4 of the batts into without any carrier.
IF the diameter of the Mag is wide enough, then look for a carrier.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I THINK that 4 energizer 2500 fit in the mag host...:twothumbs
p7100001cb9.jpg

Last edited:

xcrucialsx

Newly Enlightened
I just put together a 2d rop... using fivemegas 8aa holder and 7 eneloops with a dummy. slides in and out fine. I got the battery holder from sandwhich shoppe.

mattchase

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D to 8AA adapter from the sandwich shoppe and with my Eneloops and a new black Mag they would not fit. I could force it in, but ended up tearing part of the jacket on 2 of the batteries in doing so. I ended up having to ream out the Mag with a brake hone (not fun!), and now they fit. It's still a little snug, but no more torn battery jackets.

Different batteries have different thicknesses. I have some Rayovac alkalines which fit just fine before enlarging the Mag body. They are just a tad over 14mm at their narrowest, and 14.1mm at their widest. An Eneloop is about 14.12mm at it's narrowest and 14.22mm at it's widest. I found another post where the person had turned the batteries so that the overlap in the jacket was on the inside of the holder, which puts the narrowest part of the battery on the outside. Wider batteries might fit this way without having to enlarge the Mag body, but it seems like it would be a bit of a pain having to watch for this every time or risk damage to the batteries. More of a pain than a brake hone? Um...well...hmm...

Of course if colored Mags really are looser inside then none of this may even matter.

Beer

Enlightened
I THINK that 4 energizer 2500 fit in the mag host...:twothumbs
p7100001cb9.jpg

Nope...I have the same mag, same batts, and the 8 to 2d carry. They DO NOT fit....lol...I forced them...tore the jackets, and shorted the hell out of a couple cells. :shakehead

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+2]Not all M*glites have same ID no matter the color, size or edition. This applies for batteries too.
Nothing is created same. No exception.
[/size]

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
And if ANYONE knows this to be true it would be FM!!!

I've got 4 across (using Rayovac 1800) in a blue 2D. They rattle.

I'll attempt to try some other cells after I check these for SD.

edit: Energizer 2100 are snug! All my Hybrids and Eneloops are out in my truck. Data on them much later.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it looks like sandwich shoppe just sold out of Modamag's 2D > 8AA carriers today, so I won't have to worry about this anymore unless Fivemega decides to make some more. ;)

JeepmanCJ8

Newly Enlightened
I agree, Fivemega is the saint of the M@g mods. His work amazes me. I try to sign on each day to see what he may be offering, pray I can afford it, and post an :takeit: before they are all gone.

I recall Modamag posting recently that he is still offering the parts to construct his 8aa to 2d carrier, but is not currently assembling them.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=96929

Best,

Jeep

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
I skeletonized a RS 8AA holder and managed to get 8 AAs in a regular MAG 2D. The trick is to remove all the plastic separating the cells without completely destroying the holder.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it's hit or miss... FM would know.

To better your chances, look at the tutoral made by Spacemarine called:

Tutorial: How to fit 4 Energizer 2500 cells across in a D-Mag without boring!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107772

There are nice pictures and directions included, but a Brake Cylinder Hone or a Brake Cylinder Flex Hone from an autoparts store like Napa may also do the trick.

Good luck...