Advice for an EDC as a present for my wife

Jerseyman

Newly Enlightened
I've just joined so please bear with me if I ask anything too daft!.

I am looking to get an EDC as a present for my wife. The main usage would be to light the way down unlit streets when walking from the local village to our house (in Spain) - a walk of 8 - 10 minutes.

The only requirements that I have is that it should use AA / AAA or rechargeable batteries and that it must be stunning looking!.

I am not too price sensitive, but probably not custom if only because at the moment I find the custom discussions completely indecipherable...

The possibilities I have at the moment are the Orb Ti or the Chameleon, but I was rather hoping to find soemthing even more attractively styled

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I think the choice of a flashlight is a personal thing but I definitely feel that a flashlight should be well regulated so that the light remains constant and not this maddening dimming. Of course, the use of rechargable cells will make any light somewhat regulated.

I do not know how large the light may be, so allow me to propose several, in different sizes:

1AAA
- Fenix E1: good regulation with any cell and a honest and sufficient 11 to 12 lumens.

2AAA
- Inova Bolt: 12 to 15 lumens
- Peak Pacific HP: 14 lumens. Can also be had in SS and brass.

2AA
- Peaks that are available in 1x Cr123 can also be had with an optional 2AA tube. It makes for a loooong light, but quality is top notch.
Peak Mediterranean would be nice.
- Inova Bolt: >40 lumen
- Fenix L2P v2

1X (R)CR123
- Fenix P1 Cree : 80lumens
- Peak McKinley HP: +/- 15 lumens but a very very nice beam for walking.
- Peak Mediterranean:

In a lot of cases, your wife will tell you what she wants (mine did and grabbed my McKinley).

... there are many more choices... but these are the ones I would consider. Basic line: a Fenix E1 will do fine, the rest is luxury and toys :twothumbs.

Kind regards,

Joris

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Presuming that your wife is a very practical person and asked for a flashlight as a gift I would suggest one of the Fenix lights running off a single AA or AAA battery and very bright all things considered.

check them out here https://www.fenix-store.com/

boosterboy

Enlightened
A Lumapower LM301.

AA powered.

about 65 lumens realistic output. Runs on high for 95 minutes with 2600mah NIMHs.

simple two stage clickie, low and high. Your wife will love the simple clickie.

maybe you can buy some moly-resin to "paint" the light pink. It will look like a lipstick.

it's 35$ shipped straight from Lumapower

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad it has to be AA/AAA or this might fit the bill.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5438

sku54381np5.jpg

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3014 I just got one of these.
It's a great little 123a light for a lady...has a side clicky switch...light push to click on..nice amount of light...uses a seoul Led. Women often like a side switch better than a tail clicky. (get 2- one for yourself!) Also Ultrafire has a new Rebel for $38 that looks very nice. You'll have to find the dealer under the dealers corner.

cv3po

Banned
The only requirements that I have is that it should use AA / AAA or rechargeable batteries and that it must be stunning looking!.

I am not too price sensitive

Welcome to CPF JMan!

One of your only requirements is that it's stunning looking and price is not much of an object? Hmmmmmmmm, I would suggest purchasing a Fenix LOD-CE, removing the electronics and emitter etc., and having your favorite jeweler sculpt a new body and head out of sterling silver (or 24K depending on just HOW affluent you are).

Boy, I still remember when flashlights were used as light engines instead of adornment.

CJ

Last edited:

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened
A Lumapower LM301.

AA powered.

about 65 lumens realistic output. Runs on high for 95 minutes with 2600mah NIMHs.

simple two stage clickie, low and high. Your wife will love the simple clickie.

maybe you can buy some moly-resin to "paint" the light pink. It will look like a lipstick.

it's 35$ shipped straight from Lumapower
I will second the LM301. Great light for the price.

Dobbler

Enlightened
I will second the LM301. Great light for the price.

+1

Simple UI, fantastic floody beam. It's my second favorite light in my collection now (with the P3D-Rebel just edging it out because it's so freeking bright!)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower F1 - stylish, pretty, uses 1X AA. Sure, it's a few bucks more than the LM301 but it's got extra fashion points...and it's what I gave my wife (twisty = no broken nails). :)

Jerseyman

Newly Enlightened
Many, many thanks for all the suggestions. This is a pretty friendly place to hang out in. I have just spent a pleasant couple of hours researching the suggestions and things seem to be making a bit more sense now - even if I can't yet tell the difference between some of the Fenix or Peak options:eek:.

At the moment I am trying to track down the Lo-Ti that is for sale.

Best Regards