First impressions of my new NovaTac

kromeke

Enlightened
Just got my P85 in today from Lighthound. Comes with battery and clip, in retail style packaging.

The build quality on the mechanical parts is equivalent to the HDS B42 I have. The machining is on par with HDS.

I like the programmability, I don't have an Ultimate HDS to compare to, but I have reprogrammed my B42 and I believe that has been improved on the NovaTac.

Tail stands fine. Hate the clip. a quick partial disassembly appears to show that there is enough material to drill and tap like an HDS. I plan on doing this to mine. I like to attach the clip such that I can put it on a bill of a hat.

Bezel ring:

Black stainless (per specs). I could unscrew mine with my bare hands. Can't fit NovaTac clip under the bezel on mine, not enough clearance. It appears to be the same thread as the Ti ring available from the Sandwich Shoppe. However, the threading on the Ti ring is not relieved at the end of the thread, so it will not properly screw down far enough on the NovaTac. The NovaTac's bezel is relieved at the end of the thread, and will screw down leaving no gap.

I like it. I want to buy a 120p now.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm....... I must be the only CPFer that actually likes the clip, ha. In fact, I kind of felt like the light was missing something until I put the clip on, then all of a sudden it felt 'right' in my hand.

Well, I'm sure that somebody here will either be offering a replacement, or maybe some kind of service to attach old HDS clips for those that want it done.

Anyway, enjoy your new light.... another hour and it should be dark here, yea!

BTW... the P version is super easy to program, and VERY neat. :thumbsup:

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
My clip was broken where the ring meets the actual clip. No big deal, I'm sure I can get it replaced, but not sure I'll really use it.