Fenix P3d Rebel 100 = 200 lumens?

Miracle

Enlightened
can any kind souls please confirm that the Fenix P3d Rebel 100 = 200 lumens?

:candle:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix, like most flashlights are rated at what the manufacturer of the LED's say they will produce at a given current. This is not the out the front lumen rating ,but rather the lumen rating at the LED. If you factor reflector and lens losses you can see how you will have less lumens out the front as opposed to at the LED. It seems typical losses are around 20% (20% of 200= 40l) so 160 lumens out the front sounds about right.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Confirmed? That graph states "estimated lumens". It's an estimation, not a confirmation, and he's testing for lumens out the front, not lumens at the emitter, so of course it will be a lower figure than what Fenix is stating. As the post above states, Fenix is quoting the lumens at the emitter, which should be 200 lumens according to Lumiled's when using their Rebel 100 at that current. However, that isn't telling us what the lumens are coming out the front. Fenix should probably say "Emitter Lumens: 200" etc.

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Why does the Q5 outperform the Rebel 100 by such a large margin? I thought that they had similiar specs at the higher amperages?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont get this.. the Q5 is like the perfect thing. Lumens Lumens err Lumens and power consumption still the same? Sheee, Why dont they use the Q5? Why mess with a rebel /?

zachplaysguitar5

Newly Enlightened
The reason Fenix doesn't use Q5's is because they are still rare and pricey. Rebel 80's and 100's are much more easily produced and thus less expensive.

When the Q5's do become more available, I'm sure Fenix will begin to mass produce lights with those emitters.

I do recall that Fenix produced a limited number of Q2 lights. This seems to suggest they will do the same with higher-bin emitters.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i hope not.. all these variations are making me nausious . . cant they just use better LED and give us more runtime and then turbo is like WHAM mode which blows you away ? I mean same low levels with more runtime has got to be good for survival etc, but turbo can unleash the led.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
They Rebels are nice because they don't have the bonding wires so they can put out a cleaner beam. Also the Rebel has a nicer tint than any of the CREE's I have. I sent my P3D off to fenix-store for a Q5 mod, so I'll see how it looks compared to the Rebel 100 when I get it back. :)

zachplaysguitar5

Newly Enlightened
A Q5 is a Cree LED that is more efficient than others, meaning it puts out more lumens per watt.

The higher the letter and number, the more efficient, and as a result, brighter the LED is.

Most lights with Cree's are P4 bin, although some lights can be special ordered witha Q2, but only special modifications can be made to put a Q5 in. No lights are being manufactured with these emitters.

Enlightened
Accurate or not the lumens at the emitter does provide a yardstick against which we can measure similar lights. For instance, comparing my P3D CE to my P3D R100, the R100 has a somewhat brighter spot and a much brighter and smoother spill.

OTOH, I'm having a harder time comparing the P3D R100 to my Elektrolumens Tristar Phazer (rated at 216 lumens) due to the TSP using three emitters and optics as opposed to reflectors.

Still, the fact that I'm having trouble comparing the output of a single emitter light to a 3x Luxeon III says a lot.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i hope not.. all these variations are making me nausious . . cant they just use better LED and give us more runtime...

Nobody did that, except for the HDS lights (and the recent Novatac lights too, I'd assume). It's a lot of trouble for the manufacturer because each light needs to be individually calibrated for the same brightness.

It's a lot easier for the manufacturer to just set up the circuit for a particular drive current. Then all the lights have essentially the same runtime, but the ones with the better binned emitters are going to end up being brighter than the others.

In reality, you probably won't notice that one model is brighter than another, unless you hold the two side by side and shine them at the same target. Even then it might be hard to see the differences.