Cat Going in for Surgery

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
My baby Pecaso:

Image005.jpg

Photo056.jpg

She is having surgery tomorrow to remove her teeth as she has an autoimune disorder that is attacking her teeth.

Photo045.jpg

She is a 4 -5 year old tonkinese/moggie cross who likes to sleep on my shoulder and under my jumpers when it is cold.

Photo038.jpg

She also likes to go for a drive in the car.

Photo040.jpg

Photo039.jpg

Sorry about the blurryness of the photos I was using a cell phone camera

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr Jekell,

So sorry to hear about Pecaso's impending surgery! It's so very hard when a beloved pet has health issues, harder even than when a human member of the family has them--at least I feel that way.

I hope everything goes as well or better than can be expected. She looks like a very sweet and wonderful cat. Thanks for posting pictures of her and letting us know about her surgery. Please keep us informed.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I hope all goes well with you friend. Our 2 cats (they are sisters) are about to turn one year old and I am thankful we haven't had to deal with many health issues.

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
Why does everyone have cats? Why arent there more dog people posting pics of there dogs?

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
She will be on soft food for the most part but later on her gums may harden enough for her to eat dry biscuts.

The vet is hopefull that with her teeth removed and after a course of antibiotics and steroids for a few weeks that she can been weened off the steroids (the antibiotics are for about 10 days while her gums heal) and not need them again. but if not she may be on them for the rest of her life.

And ddgarcia05 it could be that cats are a more socialy acceptable pet for people that are renting or living in a city.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I have visited her today and she is doing well. (I will save all the icky parts for later)

She is still a bit drowsy from the anaesthetic but moving around.

She is staying at the vets another night so she can rest and recover while on a drip to help combat dehydration from any drooling or wound seepage and to be given additional pain relief as needed.

But she will be home tomorrow and she will be spoilt absolutely rotten, I will be keeping her under my jumper 98% of the time and at other times she will be in a heated room with warm food available, her own litter box and of course a lot of pats and cuddles.

Apparently this had been a problem for a while & would have been painful for her (Insert MAJOR guilt trip here) but it is as the vet says a difficult one to notice.

The total for the surgery, vet visits (She needs a 3 week check up), Meds and assorted supplies (Food, litter tray, litter etc) comes to about $410NZD.

I will end this post with a description of her symptoms:

Bad breath
Pain when eating (she eats dry biscuits)
Does not like to be touched around mouth and chin
Reduced eating (she was eating one or to biscuits at a time instead of 8 – 10)
Reddened gums
Discoloured teeth
Change in temperament or behaviour

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm glad to hear Pecaso is doing well. It's always hard whenever a pet has to be away for medical care. Take good care of her. She looks like a sweet animal.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I'm so glad to hear your kitty is doing well. I hope she continues to improve, and can get off long term steroids.

I'm a BIG cat lover, so believe me, I know what this is like!