Need a Good light! U2, C2 or what?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I want a good CREE LED light that runs off CR123A's or 18650's or both. So far I have looked at both the U2 and C2 from DX. But I'm not sure what one I should go with. I want something that is 120-200+ lumen's. The brighter the better, but it must last at least an hour to get to 50%.

Can anyone point out some other options or tell me what they like better the C2 or U2? What is brighter?

Thanks! :twothumbs

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'd like to keep the price under $30 shipped to Asia.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful of calling DX's Surefire U2 clone a U2 here with out the DX in front of it. The SF guys here will attack like wild dogs on a wounded bunney rabbit. The C2 was my first cree and I think it is a great light.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha... I do like the U2, but I found something a little badder. :p

Check out this 18500 lux CREE light

It supports 2x18650's. So it should last a while, and be super bright. Anyone know or can guess at what kind of lumens something like this would put out?

I also like this. It looks just like the DX U2 but has 8 modes and costs like $7 more.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at that one also. But how do you know its brighter than the C2 or U2 clone? Any links?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the C2, U2 clone and the VB-16 16-Mode SSC.
btw-the VB-16 16-Mode SSC got the forward cliky too.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any comments on either of the two lights I posted above. I like that one that does 18,500 lux at 1m. SOUNDS VERY BRIGHT!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That one projects very far but it has the same output as some of the other lights. It has a narrow beam pattern and isn't really useful in real life. A 3W Cree Projection should have about the same throw if you swapped the Cree P4 with a Cree Q5 and it runs on 1 18650 battery. I'd go for the VB-16 since it has variable modes and a forward clickie but it is a bit longer then most 18650 powered lights.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the LED lights at DX, I would definitely recommend the VB-16. It's a bit longer than the others (C2, and U2) but ultimately it's much more practical with a forward clicky stock, and a useful range of brightnesses (including a low level that is actually low).

If you want super throw, I wouldn't bother with the Cree Projection light either. I'd go instead for the incandescent WF-500. IMO now that DX is selling 26500 cells (C-sized LiIons) they could really have a winner on their hands if they came out with a 2C version of that light. For a quick "spotting" light the increased lumens and spectrum of incan will be an asset, and extended runtimes are generally not going to be as necessary in that category of light either. For extended runtimes, the VB-16 on a low level will work great.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the DX VB-16 is regulated. Does that mean the output will be about the same on a single 18650 vs two CR123A's? As far as run time goes, wouldn't a 2400mah 18650 last longer than two CR123A's @ 800mah? Also, the batteries it comes with are not protected. Should I buy two protected ones?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Ultrafire C2 HAIII, i have to say the quality is better than the old version it is almost like handling a Fenix quality wise. I noticed that they even clean out the inside of the tube. Unfortunately they should have used Q2 instead the old XRE and add 2 mode. other than that Recomended.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the LED lights at DX, I would definitely recommend the VB-16.

The VB-16 is quite a decent light, and has one of the better click switches available from the Chinese vendors. I picked mine up from the post office on Saturday, took it home for disassembly, cleaning and comparison to some "benchmark" lights like the Surefire U2.

Output is on-par with the U2 but the U2 has better tint (imho), and the VB-16's 16 levels of adjustment is way overkill. In reality it's more like four levels of adjustment because the upper 11 ranges are so close in brightness you can hardly discern them. But for the $27 or so asking price, I certainly can't argue that this light is a great deal.

BTW, the VB-16 is advertised as compatible with RCR123s or an 18650. The tube's ID is large enough to be a very sloppy fit with the RCR123s.

cranphin

Newly Enlightened
The VB-16 is quite a decent light, and has one of the better click switches available from the Chinese vendors. I picked mine up from the post office on Saturday, took it home for disassembly, cleaning and comparison to some "benchmark" lights like the Surefire U2.

Is that a DX VB 16 ? Which sku ?
If so, how did you disasemble it ? :)
Or did you mean only the tail end ?

Cheers!

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people say that protected rc123's don't fit in the VB-16, while others say they do. I want to run protected batteries in the light, and want to know what protected cells will work.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a DX VB 16 ? Which sku ?
If so, how did you disasemble it ? :)
Or did you mean only the tail end ?

Actually I misquoted the price, I paid $37.50 with a DSD charger and a pair of 800 mah RCR123s.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2686

I disassembled the tailcap; the head and tube are very securely bonded together! Switch is easy to disassemble; just unscrew the inner retainer ring and she pops apart. My switch was full of dirt and filth.

Last edited:

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I added a C2 to my collection a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Nice and short, good quality, although the beam is slightly blue/purple. Very good value.