Identifying old Surefire Parts

zx7dave

Enlightened
I have a old 3P and 6Z. What modle are the round bezel and Tailcaps on these? i.e. Z41 tailcap...
Also on the original E1 Executive same question. The round bezel and small tailcap. Many thanks

zx7dave

Enlightened
Also none of these have the notch or indention to line up with the body of the light, and they say the model 3P and 6Z and Laser Products on the tailcap.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The early standard series (6P etc) bezels do not have Z numbers.

The early (non-LockOut) TailCaps could be a Z14 or Z31 (difficult to tell which not that it really matters)

The E-Series bezels (then and now) do not have Z numbers.

The early (non-LockOut) TailCaps for the E-Series do not have Z numbers.

Z-numbers are mostly used for components people want to buy as accessories or upgrades etc.

zx7dave

Enlightened
I appreciate your time. Back to the E series. The tailcap differences between the early and current Executives, and the E2D...so they would be described by the body they came attached to? no model number?
I would be interested in more info on the Z14 and Z31 if you have the time or could point me to a older thread. Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I appreciate your time. Back to the E series. The tailcap differences between the early and current Executives, and the E2D...so they would be described by the body they came attached to? no model number?
Back in the day, there was the E1 and E2, in HA, BK and GM (Gun Metal).
These went through a few smaller changes before SureFire replaced them with the Elite version: E1e and E2e.
The changes (Improvements of the Elite)
New LockOut TailCap.
New bezel with Pyrex window (instead of Lexan), Anti-roll hexagonal style.
New bodies with new PocketClip (replaces the one on the bezel).

SureFire at about this time released the LockOut TailCaps so that people could update their E1 and E2 flashlights
Z52 LockOut TailCap - E Series - HA
Z53 LockOut TailCap - E Series - GM/SG
Z54 LockOut TailCap - E Series - BK

Note that SureFire changed the name of the finish they called GM (Gun Metal) to SG (Satin Grey) which I guess is a more appropriate description for what I'd call metallic silver...

The TailCap prior to the LockOut version was not sealed - the switch contact was not retained and could be removed, and the rubber switch boot could also be removed. Now, the LockOut version sealed the rubber switch boot and retained the switch contact to restrict its travel (thus enabling the switch contact to be rotated clear of the body contact surface and disable the switch).

I would be interested in more info on the Z14 and Z31 if you have the time or could point me to a older thread. Thanks.
I don't know (and nobody at SureFire seems to really know either since it was such a long time ago) what the difference between the Z14 and Z31. My guess is that the difference was because SureFire updated the profile of the rubber switch boot. Indeed, these higher profile, more aggressively knurled switch boots were included with certain other accessories.

This is the info I have:
Z14 TailCap (Classic) Three parts (for Standard Bodies)
Z31 TailCap Group (for Standard Bodies)

Also, there was a
Z23 TailCap Diaphragm Sealed (for Standard Bodies)
which had the rubber switch boot sealed.

Then there was the Z41 - the current LockOut TailCap design that has been sealed for water-resistance.

Does this help?
Al

Last edited:

zx7dave

Enlightened
Many thanks! Yes. Clarifies a lot. I have two of the older E1's in HA and GM (Ser# A04872 & A15152 repectively) Also a 3P, 6P, 9P, and 6Z with no markings except on the tailcap whcih say the model number and Laser products. I am a little gung-ho about knowing exactly what I have as much as possible...especially with the older lights as they are becoming more collectable. I certainly appreciate your help. - dave