Malkoff's D mag drop in, worth it?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I've read everyone says it's wonderful and definately worth it, but bear with me.

The dropin is rated at 240 lumens, which is the emitter specification, not actual out front. Now notice how fast other much smaller light like fenix is catching up. My p3d ce is only 160, which was only released less than a year ago I believe? But look at the new p3d Q5, rated at 215 lumens. With this rate, we'll probably see the p3d come with a 240 lumen or higher rated LED by next year.

So why should one buy the drop in for a D mag, instead of wait a couple of months and get a new p3d with whatever LED they'll use, which will be much more smaller, lighter (even with a whole box of spare batteries), and less expensive? :poke:

(In case you couldn't tell, this is a "talk me out of spend $100 on dropin" thread. :D)

meuge

Enlightened
Yes I've read everyone says it's wonderful and definately worth it, but bear with me.

The dropin is rated at 240 lumens, which is the emitter specification, not actual out front. Now notice how fast other much smaller light like fenix is catching up. My p3d ce is only 160, which was only released less than a year ago I believe? But look at the new p3d Q5, rated at 215 lumens. With this rate, we'll probably see the p3d come with a 240 lumen or higher rated LED by next year.

So why should one buy the drop in for a D mag, instead of wait a couple of months and get a new p3d with whatever LED they'll use, which will be much more smaller, lighter (even with a whole box of spare batteries), and less expensive? :poke:

(In case you couldn't tell, this is a "talk me out of spend $100 on dropin" thread. :D)
1) Because of the Mag's focusing ability, it will likely have >2X lux in the hotspot compared to the Fenix. Actually, I have a TerraLux dropin, and its hotspot is AT LEAST 2X brighter than my Fenix P2D-R100, so the Malkoff should be 3X+ brighter. This, in turn, results in MUCH MUCH better throw. My 3D TerraLux out-throws my L2DCE and P2DR100 by maybe 3X the distance (100m versus 33m). The Malkoff should throw even better.

2) A 3D Malkoff should run ~6 hours at max... as opposed to about 2 hours for the Fenix lights.

3) For some applications, a large-bore D-format light is preferable.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
it's like why would I buy a car when I could buy a motorcycle? Both get me to the same place but one is smaller and can go faster. Generally car shoppers don't consider motorcycles and vice versa. People who want a maglite to be brighter generally want a bright maglite. If you tell them that they can get a brighter light that fits in their pocket they'll say But I want a bright maglite. Apples and oranges in my opinion. I have both. As far as a super bright awesome maglite, Gene's dropin is the only way to go imo. If you think you'd rather have a tiny lite that puts out the same amt of light then that's what you should buy. :thumbsup:

g

Patriot

Flashaholic
it's like why would I buy a car when I could buy a motorcycle? Both get me to the same place but one is smaller and can go faster. Generally car shoppers don't consider motorcycles and vice versa. People who want a maglite to be brighter generally want a bright maglite. If you tell them that they can get a brighter light that fits in their pocket they'll say But I want a bright maglite. Apples and oranges in my opinion. I have both. As far as a super bright awesome maglite, Gene's dropin is the only way to go imo. If you think you'd rather have a tiny lite that puts out the same amt of light then that's what you should buy. :thumbsup:

g

I think the difference, at least for me, is the awesome battery capacity available in a 3D mag. None of my small light will produce over 100 lumens for 10-20 hours on a set of batteries. It would be like having a car with a 1500 mile range.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my other choice, a surefire e2l the seller has been a deadbeat so far, no answer for three days after I told him "I'll take it, here's my address, and here's my cell number if you have any questions, where do I send paypal".

So that said looks like I'll be getting this dropin after all, if I can be fast enough to get in line before they are sold out.:poof:

p.s. I am one of those people who will cross shop car or motorcycle, a jeep or a miata, maglite or fenix/surefire. What can I say, my way of cross shopping is weird. :huh: (ended up with a wrangler on 2" lift and 32" mud tires)

3) For some applications, a large-bore D-format light is preferable.

Like what, convincing some people on the head that you are not to be messed with? :naughty:

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like what, convincing some people on the head that you are not to be messed with? :naughty:

:twak: Ah.. that would just be couthless.

The Maglite also has a huge, bright spill compared to the Fenix lights. As mentioned above the brightness, runtime, throw, spill, and heatsinking are top notch. Other lights are getting brighter and there's a bunch that are a LOT brighter, but the Malkoff drop in is a cheap, easy way to update an old Maglite. I've got a 4C and it's one sweet light.