FINALLY...The perfect multi-level Surefire + how-to(many pics)

cryhavok

Enlightened
I like E1L's...always have...but I'm a city flash-o-holic and need a lot of output to be impressed. This is where the E1L is a bit disappointing. I know the designers at Surefire made the light so it has great runtime...but I don't care much about that. Max output is what gets me going :devil:

Then comes the Surefire L1 cree. Great light...2 modes, great output. But that little devil voice in my head said "You can make the light brighter...DO IT!" So I went ahead and shoved a RCR123 and was pleased with the results. But after a few weeks went by I was bored.

So here I am with the newest mod to the light. I decided to give the L1 head some circuitry with a FluPIC. I would run the light with a E1L body/clicky. I went this route instead of just modding a KX1 because I think it makes the light a bit less top-heavy and more balanced.

IMG_0002-12.jpg

Here is how the head looks once you unscrew the bottom part. Fitting a FluPIC was easy as the surface was concave with an outer diameter that matched the OD of the FluPIC (.55")

IMG_0004-8.jpg

Just slide on the FluPIC (or any .55" converter, for that matter) and you're ready.

IMG_0006-12.jpg

I trimmed the wires, soldered on the board, then soldered on the grounding ring. Because the stock head has a raised (+) contact, I made a somewhat large solder blob. Also, I raised the battery so it was flush with the threads on the body via magnets.

IMG_0007-10.jpg

Here's a shot of the finished head, all screwed back together

IMG_0005-9.jpg

IMG_0008-10.jpg

Here's a shot comparing my surefire lego to the KX1
IMG_0009-8.jpg

Here's a comparison of some surefire heads.
IMG_0010-6.jpg

KX1, KL1, L1

And finally some beamshots. I think the only stock light I have is the Fenix P1D Q5 w/ SMO reflector...

-0EV
IMG_0011-9.jpg

-2EV
IMG_0013-6.jpg

comparison of the low settings of both lights: EDIT: Didn't have the FluPIC set on the lowest setting. The corrected picture is found below.

And a shot of the L1 vs. My McGizmo S27-PD running at 833mA (NOT STOCK!) -2EV
IMG_0014-4.jpg

The lux@1 meter reads 6500 :devil: Not bad for such a small light, so I'm satisfied...for now :p

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
WHOOPS...I forgot to reconfigure the FluPIC so it wasn't on the lowest setting. Here's the correct picture:

IMG_0001-2.jpg

L1 on left, P1D on right. Both on lowest settings.

I know you guys who LOVE your low low will love this;)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
KX1? Is that what they are calling the new Cree'ed KL1?

I was assuming they'd just call it the KL1 as always and we'd designate it (unofficially) as 5th gen.

That looks like an awesome mod!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
KX1? Is that what they are calling the new Cree'ed KL1?

I was assuming they'd just call it the KL1 as always and we'd designate it (unofficially) as 5th gen.

That looks like an awesome mod!

There is now the KX1 (E1L) and KX2 (E2L). No more buck/boost circuit.

BBL

Enlightened
Nice work, great pictures!

As much as i wish to do something like that, the treadlock mess is what holds me back...