P3D-Q5 vs. 4 Others (Beamshots)

yalskey

Enlightened
Here are some comparisons for you. The shirt is there for size reference, and plus it is a pure white shirt. The folding doors behind the shirt are slightly off-white. All pics were taken from the exact same distance and position and in the pitch black darkness. All camera settings are exactly the same on each picture. Fresh batteries are in all flashlights.

Fenix L2D-CE on Turbo with Smooth Reflector
IMG_0965.jpg

Tiablo A9S on Low with a Smooth Reflector
IMG_0966.jpg

Tiablo A9S on High with a Smooth Reflector
IMG_0967.jpg

Surefire C3 with a P91 bulb
IMG_0968.jpg

Fenix P3D-CE (160 Lumen Max version) on Turbo with Smooth Reflector
IMG_0969.jpg

Fenix P3D-CE (160 Lumen Max version) on Low with Smooth Reflector
IMG_0970.jpg

Fenix P3D-CE Premium Q5 on Turbo with OP Reflector
IMG_0971.jpg

Fenix P3D-CE Premium Q5 on Low with OP Reflector
IMG_0972.jpg

What do you guys think about all that?

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Q5 is definately looking good! I was surprised that the P91 didn't look more yellow. Were you using auto white balance or manual?

yalskey

Enlightened
It was on Auto with the flash off... but it was on the exact same settings otherwise for each picture.

I'm not too comfortable with manual settings mode... even though both my parents were photographers.... the shame... :)

DanielG

Enlightened
I'm beginning to like OP more and more for actual light usefulness.

Thanks, those do help.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was on Auto with the flash off... but it was on the exact same settings otherwise for each picture.

Auto will adjust the exposure for each shot so they will all look about the same intensity wise, but your shots allow us to see the pattern of the beams.

If your camera has manual exposure, you can lock in an exposure and reshoot to show differences in intensity.

yalskey

Enlightened
Auto will adjust the exposure for each shot so they will all look about the same intensity wise, but your shots allow us to see the pattern of the beams.

If your camera has manual exposure, you can lock in an exposure and reshoot to show differences in intensity.

You're probably right. But you can see some differences in the brightness of some shots.

Maybe I'll retry again tomorrow on manual.

Oh well... this was my first time taking beamshots... nobody is perfect.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
though there is a very odd time I prefer more throw, I have to agree; +1 vote for the OP reflector for overall more useful.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the comparison of the P3D CE turbo and Q5 looks like the beam is not even brighter than the original P3D maybe thats the auto'ness of the camera? i know the OP reflector spreads out the beam a bit, but i mean if its 70 lumens brighter i would expect it should at least match the original smooth for brightness?

Jay T

Enlightened
I like how the Taiblo on low looks like it might a smidgen brighter than it is on high.