building my first LED Mag-lite.Seoul p4...

DaGreenLantern

Newly Enlightened
hi.i have been reading this forums for many months. i finally decided that i want to try and mod my madlite. i own a Black 2D mag,i did the Led upgrade that the company offers but it's only a tease compared to what i have seen on this forum. i have purchased a SEOUL P4 Led, i bought a ucl lens and a borafloat but the guy that sold them to me didnt mark which one is which. i am looking for advice on what other parts i will need. i want to get about 40-50 min. of runtime with MAXIMUM lumens.i want to use an aspherical lens but i am having problems finding a list of stores from where i can purchase everything.i have used sandwichshoppe. and flashlightlens.com. any advice on driver or battery setup will be greatly appreciated , thanx in advance, :welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might want to mode this to the modding section.

For Max lumens and good throw, get the Seoul P4 LED, a Heatsink and take apart the MagLED driver.

Follow these directions(The only difference is that you have to solder the MagLED drop-in's driver instead of the micropuck).

DaGreenLantern

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12 thank you for your link to the tutorial.it is very useful and helpful.i am going to order one of those green heatsinks with i'm not sure what driver but i had a question, where did you get the heads on those maglites done at?? they look cool.differant.any more links will be appreciated , thanx everyone.:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Take apart the MagLED drop-in and use that driver. I think they drive at around 1 amp if they don't sense too much heat.

You could probably do this too.

If you want to avoid the heat problems with the MagLED drop-in, you can use the heatsink, wire the + wire from the switch to the + contact of the drop-in(the bottom of the PR base), and the - wire to the - of the PR base(the outside). Then put in the copper tabs and instead of cutting them, wire a wire from each and place the wire through the holes in the heatsink and wire them to the corresponding + and - parts of the LED.

The above should work(No guarantees though).

The Maglites were done a few months ago from what I remember. There was a thread about it.