Necklight - what do you use?

GBone

Newly Enlightened
For those of you that carry a flashlight around your neck I have two questions.

1. What brand/model of light do you carry?
2. What kind of chain or lanyard do you use to secure your light around your neck?

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
my neck carry light is a Fenix L0p - simply because i havent needed to replace it

its fairly bright, light and runs on an easy to source battery

the lanyard its on is a fishing swivel and clip threaded onto a piece of paracord
a breakaway point and a little glowstickie ride at the back of my neck

copperfox

Enlightened
I'm confused about neck carry - isn't it uncomfortable? Wouldn't you rather put the light in your pocket? Do you wear it inside or outside of your shirt?

The only thing I have to wear around my neck on a daily basis is a security badge, and thankfully it's lightweight. I imagine that a metal object swinging around thwacking you in the chest would be quite annoying.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused about neck carry - isn't it uncomfortable? Wouldn't you rather put the light in your pocket? Do you wear it inside or outside of your shirt?

The only thing I have to wear around my neck on a daily basis is a security badge, and thankfully it's lightweight. I imagine that a metal object swinging around thwacking you in the chest would be quite annoying.

mine gets carried under a shirt, its small and doesnt weigh much
its no worse than wearing a silver or gold chain round your neck
and i do have a light in my pocket, and another on my belt - its just for those instances when i need to swap batteries in my lights (the pocket light is really just a spare battery carrier for the belt carried light)

i will hopefully have a Orb Wee NS at christmas time, that will be my new neck carry light (ive already got a silver chain to wear it on)

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
I have carried a red photon around my neck 24/7 for well over a decade. It's on a nylon cord and I never even notice it at all. It's primarily for when waking up in the dark and is extremely useful for that. With dark adapted eyes it's plenty bright and has no effect on dark adaptation. If I want a brighter or white light, it allows me to easily locate another light.

Illum

Flashaholic
1: Fenix P1-CE
2: surefire Z60 lanyard

wear it wherever, whenever...working, sleeping, in the shower, in the tub....

Last edited:

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I assume you guys that wear them 24/7 are married? There's no way you're going to be "successful" with the women going out like that!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I dont wear a light around my neck right now, I had my SF A2 in the lanyard it came with, around my neck when I got it. It wasnt to bad, not to big not to heavy. But you really must have it between shirts, or under the shirt. When you tie your shoes, the light will dangle in an anooyingly fashion way...
One thing I wonder about when carriyng a light like that, is the sweat going to affect the light? I had the A2 around my neck while rollerblading, it had a very moisty envoriment hanging around my neck.

Im thinking of carrying a photon freedom around my neck, in a pre cut nylon lanyrd, whitout the lanyard balls. Its the perfect size for EDCing around the neck, it wont knock you out cold if the light would come flying in your face. Even a single CR123a light would be ok. But might look weird to most people.

luminata

Enlightened
LOL!!

Actually Varmint, I would venture to say you would have to be single to successfully pull this off. Even if married the ridicule and teasing would be unbearable . Also it would keep bonking the lady in the head if you engaged in traditional games between the sheets, if you know what I mean???:sssh:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
ModaMag Draco and Atwood Mini Son of Pry Thing carried inside shirt 24/7 on a stainless steel ball chain covered in paracord. I never wore any kind of necklace before I started carrying this way last year but quickly got used to it. One annoyance that I did have to deal with was that initially it was jus a large blob of items that tended to get all twisted up and somewhat uncomfortable. But I added a 2" spacer on the chain between the items so that they now have some width and seldom twist. They tend to hang flat against the chest and go mostly unnoticed. But there have been plenty of times when they were all I had handy when the need arose. As for the constant exposure to sweat, yes it will cause wear. My Draco had some imperfections in the chrome coating and the bare aluminum has become discolored over time. And the chrome has worn off on the lip of the bezel in one spot.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
I assume you guys that wear them 24/7 are married? There's no way you're going to be "successful" with the women going out like that!

LOL!! :crackup:

I'm quite happily single. But when I get to the point where a gal might notice a photon on a string, I'm already there! LOL.

If it's someone I haven't known long (for PCness, let's say "we're moving along quickly on the first date"), then it comes off with the t-shirt and most haven't even noticed it. Once in a while when it does get noticed, I'm guessing they don't know what it is and don't give a damn. Only once or twice on "first dates" was I even asked. On those occasions, I just said it's a light and we moved on.

Now on the "third date" ladies, they've likely gotten to know me well enough to understand I'm an outdoors/adventure/just plain active guy and they are more likely to notice it and question it more. But it just goes with the outdoors/adventure/just plain active guy nature and will sometimes get a giggle.

It has *never* been a liability. I wouldn't say it's been an asset either. But then again, it's just a little photon, not some AAA or larger cylinder on a chain (that seems more of a "statement" to me). While I would say it's unlikely, if I came across a lady with a photon on a nylon cord around her neck, I'd say "very cool". One of my past, longer term lady friends liked the idea enough that she wears the same when traveling or camping. But even I would at least scratch my head if I came across a gal that had a AAA light (or larger) around her neck all the time.... LOL...