Help Me Pick The Right One

nobita

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I need help with getting the right flashlight for my step dad for the holiday.

Here are the things I am looking for:
* It needs to be TOUGH (against mild drops, auto oils, rain, and more oils ...)
* < $80.00
* at least two modes: low & high with decent run time (regulated)
* batteries: 1(preferred) or 2 of any kind
* flood is more important than throw because he does more close-ranged work
* 5-8 inches, something like the Surefire G2 (I don't really want one based on the bad runtime/output it has)
* output, more the better of course

I have good feelings about Fenix T1 right now because I have owned all their P#D series cree lights and liked them very much. I also like the DX MX 3 CREE light, but I thinks it's not the right one for him.

Thank you very much ! :D This is the best place to ask I figure.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello nobita,

I'd like to recommend the Zebralight (headlamp). It's a simple twisty light that should be fairly water resistant, especially with an adequate amount of lubricant:

555sl7.jpg

It's a light with all flood and would be great for close range work. Since it can be taken off the headstrap easily, it can be used as a pocket light as well.

Zebralight Impressions Thread One (some pictures on page 4)

Zebralight Impressions Thread Two
Zebralight website

Btw, it has three modes. Low, Medium, and High. It runs on 1 AA battery (Alkaline or NiMH). Not sure about toughness, but it certainly feels tougher than my Fenix lights.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Any light can become floody if you put a diffuser on it.

The T1 might have a too narrow beam for what you want.

How about a Dereelignt CL1H with a diffuser?

The Zebralight is also a good suggestion but might not have the output.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he is doing mechanical work sometimes a more focused beam is better since there are times you need to see down tight areas.

awberke

Newly Enlightened
i also think that something around 100 lumens would be more than sufficient. Working in such a tight area such as an engine bay or under a car, you wouldn't want an incredible amount of light.

I would recommend, i think actually a G2 or 6P would be a perfect light

nobita

Newly Enlightened
swxb12: The Zebralight headlamp looks very nice, it would certainly be more useful to him than the T1. He also reads quite bit sometime as well and this would be perfect. I need to read all the impression links you provided first. Thanks! :D btw: If I were going to purchase the Zebralight, where would be the best place to buy from? Shipping from ShangHai, China to TX can take a while :thumbsdow

Gunner12: I have read about the CL1H somewhat before. It was used to compete with others main for throw ability (A9, DBS, DX throwers ... etc). If I were to purchase a Dereelight, DBS would be my choice. The CL1H doesn't seem RIGHT for him. Thanks anyway ! :D

FlashKat & awberke: He has working lights specifically for down deep jobs. I just want something "simple & general" I also very like the G2L based on its toughness. I read that the newest version of G2L comes with a aluminum head to dissipate heat more effectively. Is it true? :D Thanks !

Federal LG: Fenix L2T v.2 is indeed a very nice light: two modes/two AA. However, for less than $10 more I can just give him the P3D Q5. I "don't" want to give him a Fenix because they are so slippery and have delicate looks that I am afraid he would break it within a week.
Thanks ! :D

I will do my research on the Zebralight first and hopefully will find the right light in the process.

Thank you all for your input !!!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi nobita,

Funny thing is, the representative/owner(?) of ZebraLight has mentioned that he would like to move their operations to Texas (Plano), but no word yet on that development. For now, it is indeed a 2-3week+ shipping from overseas.

I forgot to consider that you needed a light sized like the G2, the Zebra is probably too small. It's tinier than most AA lights out there. As mentioned by FlashKat the lack of throw could definitely be an issue as well when looking down crevices and tight spaces. There is absolutely no hotspot/punch in the beam.

-sw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
In case you were wondering how tough a Fenix could be, try dragging it a few miles on the ground while throwing it in the air, as tested here. But there might be heavy equipment around that would dent the P3D. You could cover it in a bit of shrink tubing or bicycle inner tube for grip but that would wear off. The T1 also seems a bit slippery.

The newer G2L does come with a metal head, and if you need more output, replace the P60L with a LED Drop-in.

The Dereelignt CL1H actually has similar throw to the T1, more if you use a smooth reflector instead of a OP one. The DBS might be a bit big.

But it all depends on what he wants.

Good luck on finding the perfect light!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Give up, and go with the G2L. The runtime/output is NOT bad with the Al head. You can use a 17650 rechargeable cell for saving money, and you can't buy a better warranty. Come on it's going to be a shop light right.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
swxb12: I finally read through all the Zebralight H50-Q5 threads. Zebralight did mention that orders from late November and on will be shipped from Plano, TX. However, I still haven't see any confirmation on CPF or its official site. I am going to buy one regardless before Christmas just because it's very unique. Currently, I am waiting on the promised H-30 and H-60 model before the end of this year (higher optput, narrower flood range, push button, better clip, better UI ...). I can tell that you are extremely happy with the H-50 based on your reviews, I am sure I will be as well. Thanks for all the links !!! :twothumbs

Gunner12: Thank you for your input. Yes I know how tough Fenix lights are, I own a few myself. My setp dad can be a rather "impatient & careless" person when working on cars. He has dropped bolts/nuts/wrehches down the engine bay a quite few times already, yeah ... :shrug:. I am afraid of the slipperiness of a Fenix even after the rubber band/tire tube mod is implemented. Thanks anyhow !!! :)

Sgt. LED: I bought a yellow (he will be able to clean it up easily) G2L today, solely based on its indestructible material and the name it carries. After a few months of reading on CPF, I too would definitely want to try something that's "upscale".

Where would be the cheapest place to get some Surefire CR123s?

Thanks to you all !!! :thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Good job on getting the G2L, did the yellow have the Al head? Battery station's own 123's cost less. As do others like titanium brand. SF's 123's are fine just more $ for the name on it. Others will know more about the batts though as I go 4 regargeables.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
Sgt. LED: I thought all the new G2Ls have aluminum heads. I will probably but some Tenergy primary CR123s for $1 each from BatteryJunction. I am going to pick up a nice charger/combo tomorrow at a local store. If the G2L I received does not have the Al head, I can always resell it for the same price I bought for. Thanks.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12: Yes I'll have a battery/charger combo before Christmas. However I will be running it on some primaries until then. I know AW batteries are highly recommended here, but I just want to stop by local Fry's and pick up a reputable combo. It's ok isn't it? btw, do all the new G2Ls come with a Al head? Yellow G2Ls' head looks like it's plastic whereas the black G2Ls' looks obviously like metal to me. I think it's just the pictures. Thanks

nobita

Newly Enlightened
few questions about the battery:

My P1D-CE & P2D-CE have been running on Amondo Tech's Titanium 3V CR123 for the past few months without problem. Now with BatteryJunction taking over AT, am I safe to try the Tenergy 3V CR123s ?

rechargeable battery/charger options:

1. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420
AW combo: 4 RCR123 + charger = $42.5
Is it all that good? it's alot of money and $40 worth of primaries can keep me happy for at least 6 months

2. http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html
4 Tenergy/charger combo = $28.95
much better for me because of the price, but questionable quality

3. a good reputable combo from a local store

which should i go for?

Can I buy Surefire CR123 at a price lower than $1.75 per? I have a G2L giving away and hope to have the same brand of battery go with it.

thanks again :eek:

iholla

Newly Enlightened
Great choice on the G2L--I love my 2 of them.

I was wondering Guys how do the OLIGHT T20 w. Cree Q5 WC perform?
They are the same price as the G2L from batterstation and look ok?? The output is 205+ they say

nobita

Newly Enlightened
I was told by the seller that my yellow G2L is on backorder. Now I am really having a second thought. Maybe I will just go pick up a T1 instead, at least its got two modes.

This is an odd question:
Fenix T1 or the Zebralight H50 Q5 ?
I like them both from all the reviews I read, but I can only get one at the moment. Which one would you get first? I know they are used for completely different things, but still, which first? Thanks for the inputs :grin2: