Fenix Premium vs G2 comparison?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the P2D compare to a SF G2 on throw and brightness when on high/turbo?
How about a L1D?
An thinking about getting the Fenix combo pack that has the CR123 and 1xAA bodies.
What about the L2D?

jugg2

Enlightened
I just got a P2D Rebel version, and I have a G2.
My simple comparisons show that the P2D on high is roughly the same output as the G2, and on turbo is slightly brighter. The P2D has about the same throw on turbo as the G2, but it lights up a larger area.
I would much rather have the P2D because it is smaller, has adjustable output for different situations, and provides the same/slightly more output on only one CR123, so it is cheaper to run. All this is IMHO, YMMV.:D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The beauty of the G2 is that you can upgrade it very easy yourself as new bins come out. You can make it as bright as you want time and time again. And you get a real warranty with the SF.

daveman

Enlightened
About the only advantage the G2 has over the P2D is its ability to be easily upgraded via aftermarkets in the future. And Surefire's warranty.

The P2D is smaller, brighter, multi-mode, and also very tough, although probably not as tough as that nitrolon material.

Personally, I think the 2 are different lights; the P2D is a small edc light, the G2 is a small coat pocket or backyard light. A more reasonable comparison would be between the Fenix P3D and the G2.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main concern was output as I wanted a more compact light for use at work. I require/prefer output in comparison to a G2 or similar 2x123 light.

I went ahead and ordered the Fenix combo pack, P2D Q5 head and a 1x123 and 1xAA bodies for switching between batt types. Used the CPF 8% discount code. Can't wait to try it out.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beauty of the G2 is that you can upgrade it very easy yourself as new bins come out. You can make it as bright as you want time and time again. And you get a real warranty with the SF.

A question: wouldn't modding the G2L (e.g., by using aftermarket LEDs which you install yourself) void the warranty?

Wattnot

Enlightened
I went ahead and ordered the Fenix combo pack, P2D Q5 head and a 1x123 and 1xAA bodies for switching between batt types. Used the CPF 8% discount code. Can't wait to try it out.

Hi. I'm still new here. Could someone explain this (the discount code) to me? I was looking for "where to buy" info but this was all I found so far.

Feel free to PM me if it's more appropriate to talk about this in private!

Thanks!

Wattnot

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Marduke!

I ordered a P2D Premium and it's on it's way! This will be my first "real" LED light. Anyone want to buy a couple of S&W Galaxy 9x hybrids? :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire G2 incan should out throw a Fenix P2D due to it having a larger reflector. I think this was the case when I did a lux reading of the hot spot. The Fenix T1 would be more in the same league as the G2 as far as reflector size, and throw. The T1 should beat out the G2 w/ P60 in the throw department.