1000W PAR64 HID 63000 lumens

ez78

Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with these PAR64 HID sealed beam bulbs?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/3...PL1000_PAR64_840_HR_G38_Metal_Halide_Hid_Lamp

and here with lower price:

http://jandslighting.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_42_62_70&products_id=1165

Just put that with a ballast in a Harbor freight spotlight and you have 63000 lumens Larryk12 type corded light. :)

There are also similar china made 400W versions of that still with 36000 lumens. I wonder if those could be used with inverter and ballast compo so it would be portable.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heavy stuff!!

With Maxablaster, it already was a very hard job to construct a inverter/ballast setup with enough room left for batteries !!

I'm thinking about a inverter/ballast setup for the 200watt 10,000 lumens Emarc to fit in the Thor host: But with high wattages, both ballast and inverter will be bigger! So, with decent runtimes in mind, 400 watt HID and over will be out of the question IMO..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

Cigarman

Enlightened
How about a back-pack style battery/ballast combo? Plenty of room of LiIon or NiMH packs and a klunker of a ballast. :crazy:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some put 2000watt audio in a car...

So why not two 1000watt HID headlights??.. Anyone??

Ra.

ez78

Enlightened
Yeah, I would use backpack for ballast and batteries if I tried to do this kind of portable setup. And runtime would not matter much, 10 minutes (after 2-5min warmup) should be possible with batteries you can still carry. Might be difficult to find 400W ballast that accepts modified sine from inverter. Ra, do you know any? Now I am just playing with this idea, but maybe some day. :naughty:

Edit: Here is one manufacturer for those chinese bulbs: http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...I/Sell-Metal-Halide-PAR64-Lamp-JN-M-P64-.html

Last edited:

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I would use backpack for ballast and batteries if I tried to do this kind of portable setup. And runtime would not matter much, 10 minutes should be possible with batteries you can still carry. Might be difficult to find 400W ballast that accepts modified sine from inverter. Ra, do you know any? Now I am just playing with this idea, but maybe some day. :naughty:

Edit: Here is one manufacturer for those chinese bulbs: http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...I/Sell-Metal-Halide-PAR64-Lamp-JN-M-P64-.html

Hello ez78

You can get pure sine wave inverters for cheap from Powerstream Technology. 300w $165, 1500w $750.

I'm really starting to think it may be worth building some sort of monster.
The wrong reflector that I ordered is a lot nicer, than I thought. It got me
thinking about ordering the big 355mm reflector, and making something
crazy.

Lets face it, the stuff we are buying costs quite a bit already. I think
spending a few thousand on this is not out of line. Some lights cost
$5000 or more, and this would spank them in output.:)

Dave

ez78

Enlightened
Hi Dave, thanks for the tip on those powerstream inverters, that 300W version could be put in a back pack but the 1500W is 'slightly' too big and heavy. I think 400W bulb setup might be the sweetspot, total weight could be under 10kg depending on battery type.

I found something on ebay. This might run a 400W ballast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-500w-pure-s...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

Not even too big 26 x 12 x 8.5 cm, and about 2kg. And 30 available. Sounds too good to be true, maybe bad quality.

Then how about one of these to go with that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lumatek-HPS-MH-...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Heck, this could be tested if there was a seller for those 400W bulbs.

About reflectors. Nice thing about these sealed beams is there is no optics design needed. This would be very easy job compared to buying a separate reflector and maybe some short arc bulb. I am not on that level yet.

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
I think 1Kw HID ballasts are upwards of 7Kg.

Yes, you are right, that is too much. But 400W version would be easier, those are about 3-4kg. This seems to be one popular 400W MH ballast:

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...Cap-Model-400-MH-220-volt-Electronic-Ballast/

I have no idea if these aquarium ballasts work with more exotic types of metal halide lamps. But I quess they might since they contain adaptive electronics that should work with wide range of bulbs. Just fun to research the possibilities...

ez78

Enlightened
After some more searching I think that Raylight DTS might not be high enough quality for HID bulb. And the bulb mount would have to have some postition adustment so you could play with the focus. Othervice you propably just end up massive output flood light.

I actually contacted the chinese manufacturer out of curiosity for that 400W PAR64 MH NSP version and got an answer already with some additional info on those bulbs. Interesting was it said short arc and 3-4 degrees beam, that cant be true with glass reflector. No price for sample yet. These would have to be really cheap if I was going to risk it and paypal someone. And before that I would have to have complete info on the electronics that are needed and aprox cost for those.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting was it said short arc and 3-4 degrees beam, that cant be true with glass reflector.

Hi ez,

Please explain to us why you think that's impossible. Do you know something about reflectors that I don't? :thinking:

Regards,

Ra.

ez78

Enlightened
Hi ez,

Please explain to us why you think that's impossible. Do you know something about reflectors that I don't? :thinking:

Regards,

Ra.
Hi Ra

Nope I don't know much about reflectors. This was just more like general feeling based on the fact that these bulbs should be aimed for construction and stage lightening and such general purposes. No need for such high quality. And the tech sheet had some typos so I though this might be one.

Edit: But yeah I should have put question mark after that sentence you quoted, I don't really know what can be done with glass reflectors. I just pictured these halogen PAR sealed beams in my mind, they have all sorts imperfections.

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
I got price for the chinese 400W sealed beam metal halides. It is 56 euros for sample. I think I will be building some sort of hid monster soon but maybe it will be some sort of separate reflectror + bulb combo made from well known components rather than this chinese option. Feels too risky.