Good AA light for camping/hiking. (under $50)

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning a backpacking trip in the summer and need a good 1xaa light to bring along. I need something that will be fairly bright but also have a very good runtime, as well as run good with alkaline cells. I like the Lumapower LM31 as it has a good floody beam which would be good for hiking, and it has good brightness and runtime. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm also looking at grabbing a zebralight q5 along with the Luma for a good around the camp light.

cv3po

Banned
I'm sure you know about this one already but somebody has to say it. Fenix L1D-CE. It's a bit more expensive than the LM31 but has a bit more output on high (turbo) and has a lower low that is rated for 25 hours batt. life. When camping, a little light goes a loooong ways so I always look for a light with a long runtime low low. I think you'd be happy with either one. The zebralight looks pretty sweet but I've never played with (used) one. Should be a great tent light, reading light or just walking around light

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I would get a fenix L2d. its a bit more than $50 more like $60 but Its a great light very bright and long lasting. It uses 2AA.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gonna say a Fenix L1P. I totally missed out on all the tens of different models after the L1P, but still consider it a great light. You might want to save yourself some trouble, heartache, cursing, fumbling, and alot of stress by getting a headlamp. That's assuming you don't have one already. A headlamp is worth it's weight in gold when camping, or hiking in the dark. I'd rather have a decent headlamp than the best Surefire on any trip.

So yeah, it looks like you've got it covered with the Zebra Light, you can use it either in hand or on head. You could be perfectly happy just using that the whole time.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've looked at the fenix's, but I think I like the price an simplicity of the Luma more. Plus, I've heard that it runs better on alkalines, which is definitely a plus.

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I reccomend the ROV 1 watt Sportsman. It is one of the best $25 lights you will ever find.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
long runtime and good output?
NO 1 AA light!
a L2D is not this large.

2nd, but thats a guess and maybe a personal thing (as I dont have one and just read the site):
most everyone seems to like bashing Fenix for their "difficult" :thinking: action...
but the Lumapower is: 1st klick --> ON low --> 2nd klick --> ON high --> 3rd klick --> OFF
this action would make me crazy within short time.

PS:
how come You think the light runs better on Alkies?
Runtime: (minutes)
High: NiMh 95, Alkaline 65. Li-Ion 130
Low: NiMh 700, Alkaline 600, Lithium Primary 900, Li-Ion (not tested)
seems Ni-Mhs kick the Alkies by far, as with in every light that needs some current to be run on high

http://batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
long runtime and good output?
NO 1 AA light!

Have to agree there. 1xAA and the like are for having a flashlight always on you when it may not be appropriate to belt carry or something.
Hiking/camping? Go all out.

awberke

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what kind of camping you will be doing, or if it will be backpacking but i would consider a lightweight light that runs well on lithiums, either primaries or rechargeables because they are many time less heavy which can be very important when hiking.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RayoVac 1w Xtreme with red/blue 5mm LEDs and a white Lux, and diffuser.... mmmmm. I hope it's the last headlamp I ever use.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I reccomend the ROV 1 watt Sportsman. It is one of the best $25 lights you will ever find.

I'd reccommend the Rayovac 3W Sportsman Xtreme. I got mine for $25 at Walmart and it is a great light. Strong, sturdy, bright, and the runtime of two hours was EXACTLY on target, I tested it :).