Got my Fenix P3D Q5 WOW

joe2004

Newly Enlightened

Im new to all this LED flashlights but I got to admit this little sucker is pretty bright for its Size. Makes my other Flashlight hid in the Closet.

So my questions is this I just paid $12.00 for Two CR123A battery at the store is there an alternative or cheaper way to go other then rechargeable ? And also what's the best run time on different Batteries

Thanks guys

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, Welcome to cpf! All your questions will be answered here with a little searching. Secondly, congrats on your P3D Q5, it is a great light. Lastly, you can buy 123a's for much lower than $6 each.

Google Batteryjunction, they sell 123a's for under $1 each depending on what brand you buy. I personally like to buy the more expensive non-Chinese brands...Surefire, Energizer, Panasonic... but they can be had there as well for under $2 each. Also, if there is a Sportsman's Warehouse near you, they sell Surefire 123a's for $21 for 12.

Check out the Good Deals section in the Marketplace forum. I think I saw a site selling Energizers to cpf members for $1 each when you buy 50.

Again, welcome to cpf!

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Stay with name brand 123's, and $1 each for them sounds almost too good to be true (i.e. watch out for, and stay away from, "surplus" cells pulled from equipment, etc.). $1.50 or so is doable. Batteryjunction.com (dealer, not battery brand) is good, lighthound.com is good. With due respect and no offense intended to various vendors with a CPF presence who are selling their own brands of batteries, the way that whole situation has played out over the past several years has made me decide to stick with the premium brands and pay the extra.

I'm not sure if your P3D can properly use the slightly higher voltage RCR123A rechargeables. I'm not a fan of those though. If you primarily use your P3D at the lower settings the batteries should last practically forever.

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer buying from a brick and mortar, go to Lowes. They have SureFires CR123A for $5 a pair. Also, Academys Sports and Outdoors sometimes have Streamlight CR123A for $4 a pair.

BigD64

Enlightened
You can also grab a set of rechargeable 123's from Batteryjunction. With a charger and 4 Tenergy 123's it comes to about 27 bucks with the CPF discount. Get the 900ma batteries. I run them in my P3D Rebel with no problems.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im new to all this LED flashlights but I got to admit this little sucker is pretty bright for its Size. Makes my other Flashlight hid in the Closet.

So my questions is this I just paid $12.00 for Two CR123A battery at the store is there an alternative or cheaper way to go other then rechargeable ? And also what's the best run time on different Batteries

Thanks guys

Joe,

Welcome to CPF. If you go to the battery forum you will find posts with battery comparisons, run times etc.... It is worth checking out and reading. You do not need to pay $12.00 for 2 CR123's. Streamlight, Panasonic, Surefire, to name a few are very good batteries and will not cost you that much on line. Again, check out the information in the battery forum.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can PayPal, most people will recommend AW's R123A's for use in the P3D as a rechargable option. You would need two R123A's for the P3D:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420

Protected R123A ( 750 mAH ) ----- $ 6.00 each
Shipping is $4.50 ( up to six batteries, additional cells $0.50 each )

Charger for the above batteries : UltraFire $15.00 + $3.50 shipping

This is what I use in my P3D's and they have been fine. They will have less run time than primaries, so if you're going to be away from your charger for awhile you'll either need spare R123A's, or keep some spare primary CR123A's around as backups.

Duluth Diesel

Newly Enlightened
I buy my 123a batteries direct from Surefire. On reliable info about other brands sometimes being near dead right out of the box, I buy from Surefire directly and have never had an issue with quality. That is worth the money in my opinon. I had an incan lamp in my 6P blow out (it was due for death) but it happened in a pitch black sub-basement 2 stories below the surface and there was NO ambient light. Luckily I had my SC1 spares carries and did a lamp swap in the dark by feel. But I'd hate to have my batteries die in such a situation only to find that all the new spares I have with me are dead or close to it. No thanks.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
joe, grats on the P3D... and :welcome:!! anyway, i HIGHLY recommend the AW RCR123s for your newfound friend. talk to Fenix-Store if you have doubts. anyway, i've had the P3D for probably a month or a little over now and have charged the batts only twice... and that is having everyday consumption on them too. the P3D is ridiculously bright and efficient. get the RCR123s and the charger if you will be using this as an EDC, but be sure to have at LEAST one pair (i have three pair) of primaries for backup or if you plan to go camping or where you will be without electricity. seriously, you've just invested in an exceptional light and you won't be disappointed. one last thing, if you happen to use primaries, and you actually manage to run them dead i'd have to wonder where on earth you literally were... because it is only dark for half the day :) you'll love the P3D either way you choose to go...

joe2004

Newly Enlightened
WOW thanks guys for all the INFO man you guys are more
Helpful then any other sites :)

Thanks