Canada -> US Shipments - What's the problem?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Pardon the mini-rant, but can anyone explain why it takes so darn long to get goods from Canada delivered to the US?

I would assume it is US customs, but I have gotten most shipments from Hong Kong, India, Korea in 10-14 days. Canada.....three weeks to a month (if I get it at all!)

Is there any reason it is so darn slow? I mean, we're right next door!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I don't know where the sludge is, but it's been my experience that it takes forever from the US to Canada as well.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, usually a package to the states can take me about a week or so. Sometimes a bit longer.

Packages from the states often take 10 days - 2+ weeks to get to me.

I think it's slow customs and really slow Canada Post.

You guys down south are lucky to get stuff in a couple days!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to say it but it is my experience that Canada Post SUCKS. plain and simple. They are slow. I have had more than one package disappear on it's way to the recipient in Canada. Post from Canada is the definition is SNAIL mail, This may even be the place where they coined the term.
Yaesumofo

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard about this a lot...and it does seem rather odd that it takes so long for something to be delivered from one country to another when they are joined by land.

I recently placed an order with OpticsHQ. They handed the package over on Friday last week (January 11th) and it arrived in the United Kingdom yesterday - January 15th (!). That's 4 days from San Francisco to England, over a weekend! I couldn't figure out what the package was for a while as I wasn't expecting it to arrive anywhere near that quickly.

Regards,
Tempest

savumaki

Enlightened
My experience has ALWAYS been customs; doesn't seem to matter the item, foreign (non domestic) mail just takes longer. Items from the US generally take 1-2 weeks. I have had some take 4 weeks.

On the other hand, I have received items from CHINA within a week.
(the exception).
I guess you'd have to be on the inside to understand it; I don't think I really want to know why just so long as I get the item.
I have only 'lost' one, however I have my doubts that it was ever mailed!