Feeling bored!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Man am I bored!

Im usually bored, but when I got enough cash to buy stuff with its alot better! Then I have something to look forward to and play with!
Im currently not buying anything, I have all the stuff I "need"... :)

So what to do now? I want to use the stuff I have bought, but dont know how to get the chance to do so. Its not just lights, its knives and other hiking/camping stuff too. Its to cold to take a camping trip now, but I want to do something! I tend to almost over organize all the stuff in my cupboard with sorting boxes etc, I feel like a hamster when I get some new stuff. Instead of putting them to use I put them nicely in some sorting box in my cupboard...
I would use it if I ever got the use for it, but I never seem to do, they just lie there neatly in their compartments...

I feel that I must make something up to get to use something, sometimes I wish something happens and I get to use my gear! Like a engine failure in the middle of nowhere. I think most of us gets a big smile when the power goes out! But the power VERY rarely goes out here! And if it does its just gone for max an hour! If I had lived in the country it might have been different since they have been out for month at the most.

I felt I had to went some of my boredom here, maybe someone have a good suggestion for me to do! Maybe I should suggest a Swedish flashaholic get together. Dont think theres any of you near where I live?

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
I just feel the same way...

I think I feel like this because it's easier to buy than to get into action.
Everyday I do the same thing, wake up at 7h00 go to the office, have lunch at 13h00, back at home around 19h30.
I buy, buy again and keep buying. Sad but true.

But right now, I try to stop buying (except food), it's pretty hard but I keep going since 2 weeks ! Great no ? :thumbsup: You should try.

I got around 35 knives and around 10 flashlights, 2 Casio watches.
I think that's enough isn't it ?
I must save money for tomorrow life and thus who dies with the most toys is nonetheless still dead.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I feel like I have to really use the things I have right now, and not pile up with new things. Its fun with new things, but I have come to a point where it feels a bit pointless. Im no real collector of either knives or lights, I have just bought what I think I could need somehow. I cant afford to buy things just to collect them. I have tried to come to a halt regarding buying things except food.
I have made it one week so far! :)

Not getting any easier when you see all the new things coming this year though...

I´ll try hanging in there!

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
One week without buying is better than nothing.

For real use, I go to a small park a couple of blocks away from my house and I start splitting wood in the batoning way, or I use my "commando wire saw" in a log wearing my german flecktarn combat fatigue.
I try to justify the possession of my fällkniven F1 and WM1.
I sweat, I feel dirty and tired and thereafter I'm back at home for a nice cup of tea (and biscuits) in front of my computer like a good chairborne commando.:thumbsdow

Well sometimes I pick-up my girlfriend at the subway station nightime.
I dress up in full gear for this high-risk black ops mission.
5.11 pants, delica wave, P3D Q5, kevlar gloves... While walking, I wonder about what new proper knife I may need for this : ZT knives, Spyderco...

I use my ultralight backpacking gear... sometimes.
I go on camping trips with my girlfriend but not as often as I wish.

On a daily basis, I feel the thrill of pulling a knife in front of my coworkers to cut my apple. Pretty exciting.

Just a slice of my boring lifestyle. :sigh:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I understand the feeling about wanting to have "real" uses for these toys we buy. I used to try hard to justify in my mind new lights, knives, watches, radios, etc. Now I don't worry about it so much. Trying to keep the cost down helps lessen the "guilt", too.

Geoff

jugg2

Enlightened
I like to take walks at night, just to test out my lights. I do use them on a daily basis though; crawling under houses and looking into tight spaces is much better with a good light. I use my knives everyday tool; preparing food, cutting string, cutting insulation, cutting nylon straps, not very hard use, but still much easier with a knife.

I know what you mean about feeling like you're not using your new stuff, but I've found if I stop treating it as new, and just use it, it gets the most use lol.

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
Before being a flashaholic and a knife nuts, I was into Home-Theater gear, HiFi and so on... It was way more expensive and a lot more useless than a good bunch of EDC gear, trust me.
I just told (confess) a coworker about my knives & flashlight madness, just to wipe out boredom ...
Yesterday I gave a fauxton and a crappy 2AA freebie incan to another.