Feeling of guilt over owning too many flashlight?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyone feeling guilty can send me the lights that are causing that terrible feeling. Just drop me a PM. :thumbsup:

Anyone feeling guilty can send me the lights that are causing that terrible feeling. Just drop me a PM. :thumbsup:

Aren't you the humanitarian. :twothumbs Some people give till it hurts. But you're willing to take. I see a Nobel Prize in your future. Thanks for being willing to go the extra mile. You're a great American. :)

~ Chance

ven

Flashaholic
I think my guilt stems from not actually using them *all* or at least as much as i should,winter is upon us(fall) so more time will be had using my lights.

Right now i have different light downstairs everyday to help navigate downstairs once dark,get a little use out of them this way..................every little helps:)

Grab a light,go for a nice walk late on or once dark and enjoy your tints:thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my guilt stems from not actually using them *all* or at least as much as i should,winter is upon us(fall) so more time will be had using my lights.

Right now i have different light downstairs everyday to help navigate downstairs once dark,get a little use out of them this way..................every little helps:)

Grab a light,go for a nice walk late on or once dark and enjoy your tints:thumbsup:

You can take your turn with me and my neighbour checking the barns for illegals. lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Aren't you the humanitarian. :twothumbs Some people give till it hurts. But you're willing to take. I see a Nobel Prize in your future. Thanks for being willing to go the extra mile. You're a great American. :)

~ Chance

Thank you, good Sir. :buddies:

You're most certainly welcome. One must give credit where credit is due. The first round is on me.

Guilt, or should I say its cause, is very personal. Truth be told, I have, on occasion, felt its nagging presence. When that's happened I took a look at my collection, decided which light/lights were at the root of my discomfort, and either sold or gifted it/them to someone I deemed deserving. Problem solved. It was a natural, early phase, of the condition known as Flashaholism. I learned that being a collector wasn't something my personality would allow.

:twothumbs I'm very grateful for the members that share their wonderful collections here on CPF. :popcorn:

Viva la difference!

~ Chance

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I understand your feeling's of guilt completely Sean! For me it is very similar.

I DO feel guilty at times. My Guilt comes from spending so much money in such a short period of time on
Nothing but lights.

Its not so much that I just spent $500 on one light! But rather that it's the 3rd one in 2 months.
I will admit the flashlight hobby has held me back from achieving other Goals in my life.

Ultimately I make sure the important things are covered; Rent, utilities, Food, health insurance, etc
however my Savings account has taken a Hit! And I've wanted to buy another motorcycle
for some time, and the light hobby and NOT helped that happen. I estimate I've spent around $7,000
since I began in 2011. And for some that's a drop in the bucket.

For me it's kind of a lot. I don't make a ton of money. I do better than some I guess.
I make less than $60,000 per year, but I am single with no kids. So that helps tremendously.
I sometimes get carried away thinking about the other things I could have done
with all the money spent on lights.

But then I wouldn't have my lights or any of the experiences that go along with them.

I just want to be able to slow down the spending on new lights.

I am still proud of my collection tho and happy to have it. I am happy to have found this hobby and forum.
I've met so many wonderful people here, and learned so much. So much learning! And these experiences alone
is worth the money spent.

Thanks for letting me share

Nick

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nick - thank for your reply. I think one of the most important things is that you can pay all of you required life expenses before you put money hobbies or other things. As long as you can do that you can't be faulted for enjoying life but it definitely is a compromise. We can't have anything.

I've been able to curb my customs purchases lately as I am very pleased with my current collection. Lately I've been picking up a few production lights here and there and they've been fun to play with.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna throw my two cents in... I love flashlights and bibles. I never realized there was nice lights until I met sf and I never knew what a nice bible was until I got a r.l. Allan bible. And if people make you feel guilty about flashlights imagine having another Christian put you on a guilt trip bc your bible was handmade (but they forget it's a tool some people use daily)

I'm sure you can see some parallels. Anyways here's an article I thought of as soon as I came across this post. It's by a guy who is the Paul Kim of the bible world you could say. I realize it's not about flashlights but it's a good read about my other hobby besides flashlights.

http://www.bibledesignblog.com/2009/06/guilty-pleasure.html

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i feel guilty of all impulse buys i have made.. the ones i just wanted to have. not needed. the ones that i bought to fill a need of fix of getting a new flashlight coming to play with for few hours or days even though i knew that it wouldnt be worthy of being bought and used regularly by me.

i feel guilt of lights that i honestly didnt need to buy. the ones that are there just sitting there on shelf or are hidden away somewhere out of sight. gladly im cheap at heart so none of them really cost that much individually.. from 5 to 60usd each. but as i multiply them all.. some 20-40 of them (i dont even know anymore how many of them there are) with average price of 20.. that way too much money i could of used on something else. something more useful. maybe on one real good custom light that actually has resale value still. the ones i have dont have that. not enough to sell and make money, but still more value (be it monetary or sentimental) than just giving them all away. so they just sit there. just like the pocket knives i kept/keep buying for "fun" or "to see if it is better than what i got now".

i work on against my impulse buying habits. got it under control mostly. just at darkest hours of night i might get tempted to buy something shiny again. hahah. lot less often nowdays than it was in past. so lot less to feel guilty about when they arrive into mailbox.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
Guilt, or should I say its cause, is very personal. Truth be told, I have, on occasion, felt its nagging presence. When that's happened I took a look at my collection, decided which light/lights were at the root of my discomfort, and either sold or gifted it/them to someone I deemed deserving. Problem solved. It was a natural, early phase, of the condition known as Flashaholism. I learned that being a collector wasn't something my personality would allow.

:twothumbs I'm very grateful for the members that share their wonderful collections here on CPF. :popcorn:

Viva la difference!

~ Chance

+1 what chance says..

I can relate to all the feelings here. Collections were part of my life until I had children. Priorities shifted. I never collected lights, but I have a few more than one.

Possessions I have that cause me grief or guilt I give away, return, sell or put into storage. That seems to work. Sharing always feels good. I'm never giving a light to someone who is too lazy/ignorant to acquire one. But if I know someone is short on funds and has a need for one... BAM gifted flashlight. I make em promise not to sell it, must be regifted or Return it to me.

tools, tools and more tools. I had 5 sets, metric, standard and specialized sizes. Everything an average guy could need x5 or six. I couldn't resist a good deal. One day it bothered me they were not being used and really one back up is all i need in most cases. I gave away and sold the 3rd, 4th and 5th sets, unopened, unsused tools and accessories. It feels better and I have more room to put other things. Now I have my tools, the tools I lend out and a back up for most used items likely to break or wear out.

Collecting fills a need in some. Others not so much. You, shineonyoucrazydiamond, have contributed to this forum and the lives of many people in many ways. It sounds like your modesty is getting the best of you. Relax play with your lights. :candle:

The collectors and collections on CPF are both interesting and impressive. I am very glad people share photos, stories and experiences. (And reviews!!)

Not that my opinion matters any more or less than the rest, I think you are doing just fine.
Thanks for sharing, this is an awesome forum.

Last edited: