Feeling of guilt over owning too many flashlight?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. I have many lights and don't suffer from guilt for a few reasons.
- I'm using funny money and not rent, food or other serious money.
- I have a stressful job/life and playing with lights is very relaxing. A non-destructive outlet is very important.
- I use my lights. OK, sitting outside at night having a drink may not really qualify as using a light. Especially if I'm sitting with 3 or 4 lights to compare beams and tints. I also take the dog for walks some nights.
- i've donated a few lights to the give away thread. Mostly this provided an excuse to buy the newer versions of the same light.
- Haven't had a power outage in Switzerland since we moved here. But I'm ready.
- My daughter just went on a one-week camping trip with her school. She was well equipped. Her favorite light was a bored SF 6P, protected AW18650 cell, Malkoff M61 L N with a diffuser wand. She said she used it every night in the tent. She didn't become a flasaholic, but she did appreciate my hobby a little more.
- Winter is coming. One of the most important uses of my lights is night bbq'ing. I have an agreement with my wife - some cuts of meat never go in the oven. The light for this purpose must be floody, neutral and hi cri. I've used a ZL H502D, McGizmo Sundrop head with a Nichia 219a LE and Moddoolar 18500 body. This year I'll use my new Saabluster Rev Captor on a tripod. I'm really looking forward to the fun I'll have.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can make yourself feel guilty about pretty much anything...just about everyone on CPF is living like a king compared to at least 20% of the global population. But as others have mentioned, there are worse things you could be doing with the money...and realistically, you can't expect everyone to live like a monk and not spend any money on non-essentials.

I do wish, though, that more people would contribute to giveaways here on CPF. Lots of members have more lights (or chargers, or cells, or whatever) than they could possibly use, or even keep track of. Why not give away an old/duplicate/redundant light to someone who CAN really benefit from it? It costs you a few bucks in shipping, but it can make someone else very happy. I'm not going to plug my own thread, but do a search for "Christmas giveaway" and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Personally I don't feel guilty...a little foolish, sometimes, but it is my money. Either way, giving back to the community would be an excellent way to feel better about it.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You lose that wager. I have quite a bit invested in flashlights, LED and otherwise.

Assuming they are sold that is a possibility although I do my best purchase when the price is right. As with any collectible, such as with the R/C cars you mentioned, it all depends upon the market at the time you buy or sell. However, the benefit of collecting quality and/or desirable items is that they should always have some tangible value, even when the market tanks.

The point of my earlier post was to point out that when it comes to a hobby it's nice knowing you can get at least some return on your investment, even if not a net profit, if you chose to do so.

My wager still stands,you have invested but until sold at a profit it is not an investment.I buy and sell air rifles and it needs a particular type to turn a profit or buy off someone who is desperate for cash.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wager still stands,you have invested but until sold at a profit it is not an investment...

This is just wrong. An investment is something that has the POTENTIAL to pay off later...it does not have to be cashed out to be termed an investment.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes. Typically an investment (whether stocks, bonds, rental property, or whatever) ties up cash but throws off interest or generates income. This is considered the reward for foregoing immediate liquidity and in the case of stocks is actually called the "risk premium." Since stocks are considered riskier than bonds, theoretically the average return should be higher to compensate you for the added risk. And in fact over the last 200 years in the U.S. market this has typically been about 2% on average that stocks have returned over bonds.

This is just wrong. An investment is something that has the POTENTIAL to pay off later...it does not have to be cashed out to be termed an investment.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While interesting, the debate about investments is not wholly relevant to the concern and angst of having a collection of lights. I've never collected stamps or coins and don't know if the goal of collecting those items is to make a profit.

I have a nice set of AAA lights - the small size and impressive output on many of them just tickle my funny bone. I know there are some AAA lights that have increased in value (mainly because they are great lights and are, unfortunately, no longer made). I don't have any of those lights. The only return that I get is intangible. But that is OK with me.

The definition of investment is slightly different in an economy with hyper-inflation. And if you believe the meltdown of civilization is coming, a balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds and bank deposits won't give you much comfort either.

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
While interesting, the debate about investments is not wholly relevant to the concern and angst of having a collection of lights. I've never collected stamps or coins and don't know if the goal of collecting those items is to make a profit.

I have a nice set of AAA lights - the small size and impressive output on many of them just tickle my funny bone. I know there are some AAA lights that have increased in value (mainly because they are great lights and are, unfortunately, no longer made). I don't have any of those lights. The only return that I get is intangible. But that is OK with me.

The definition of investment is slightly different in an economy with hyper-inflation. And if you believe the meltdown of civilization is coming, a balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds and bank deposits won't give you much comfort either.

I have to tell you hobbies and past times are an intrinsic part of our nature both psychologically and sociologically( I mean check this forum out man) I collected guns all my life and I guess as a result of time, say I started when I was 17 (I was shot in the chest at about 10)
and I am 45 now, I have a collection that spans almost 3 decades, obviously if someone walked in and viewed my collection which piece for piece is WAY less than the number of stamps in just 4-5 philatelist binders, a serious philatelist 30 year old collection, forget it hands down I would see my arse in comparison of what has collected and accumulated over almost over 30 years, 30 years man, he could cover ever square inch of my collection with stamps and some. Income demographics will also play into this but all aim going to say is that some would have more of anything over a given time than another but would he who has more love them any more than the the guy with less, I think not and I bet the argument could be made that the person with more may love them less, I am obviously oversimplifying this issue cos it is a really really hot issue, but the law of diminishing returns applies to everything not just ice cream.I view these beautiful and magnificent collection of torches with respect and awe and think in my mind one day not because I have 10 times that in firearms but because I have another, new love and people who not only have a thousand times more off but think of what one can learn, the wealth of knowledge and understanding and experience which is a global phenomenon. It's humbling and it puts a spark that you didn't think possible in an area you didn't know existed. This is something we could discuss all day so I am just gonna end off by saying that I am glad this phenomenon found me and I am going to go with it in as far as possible to where it goes, whether it's 10 or a 1000 torches ... Life is short, death indiscriminate and both are equally unpredictable

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforum

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Buying lights has no potential to pay off later.I want a monetary return on my hobbies but lights and air weapons will give me zilch.

Last edited:

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
Ok if we talking investment we talk investment I was under the impression this was a forum for people who Thompsons sub which is a legal and transferable automatic that I picked up for very little a long time ago from someone that passed

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
Ok if we talking investment we talk investment I was under the impression this was a forum for people who Thompsons sub which is a legal and transferable automatic that I picked up for very little a long time ago from someone that passed

People that loved this hobby

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
I guess I will bow out gracefully on this one cos I think I put my nose where it doesn't belong I don't want to equate my hobbies with investments like I sad I have a hobby that if I cashed in would allow me to retire rather lucratively but there's no way in hell I gonna sell any of them unless forced to .... My apologies to all

Neilbenecke

Newly Enlightened
You can make yourself feel guilty about pretty much anything...just about everyone on CPF is living like a king compared to at least 20% of the global population. But as others have mentioned, there are worse things you could be doing with the money...and realistically, you can't expect everyone to live like a monk and not spend any money on non-essentials.

I do wish, though, that more people would contribute to giveaways here on CPF. Lots of members have more lights (or chargers, or cells, or whatever) than they could possibly use, or even keep track of. Why not give away an old/duplicate/redundant light to someone who CAN really benefit from it? It costs you a few bucks in shipping, but it can make someone else very happy. I'm not going to plug my own thread, but do a search for "Christmas giveaway" and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Personally I don't feel guilty...a little foolish, sometimes, but it is my money. Either way, giving back to the community would be an excellent way to feel better about it.

I OFFICIALLY bow out gracefully after I HAVE to say that I agree with doc on this

scout24

Flashaholic
Back to the OP's topic- :) I have far more than I can use even during a power outage. They just seem to multiply. Redundancy is a big part of it for me: If I like something or feel it fills a particular niche well, then I'll hunt down a few. Recently it has been adding to my SF incan collection with fear that they seem to be growing scarce as time goes by, and I don't want to not have them around. So all of a sudden there are a half dozen E2e's around, and a bunch of bulbs... G2's also, and P60/90 lamps. Wait, need UCL lenses for them. Hey, a G3 or two would be good to have. May as well get a 6P while you're at it. Make sure it's bored for 18650's for those Malkoff dropins. Did you see the new 219B's? An M61LL would run forever in a C3. I think everyone sees where this goes. All of a sudden a drawer or two is full, and Paypal balance is zero... So guilt? No. Feel a bit silly after all the justification once in a while? Perhaps. As Sean said though, I'll put aside what's not on my radar today rather than sell and re-purchase it in six months. Too much rambling, but my $.02... :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away most of the weekend. Scout makes a good point about seeing one thing, then buying a few more, then buying accessories to have options, then buying different drop-ins. Feeling silly about having all this stuff rather than guilty may be an interesting way to looks differently on the situation.

Archimedes - thank you for that compliment. I just have fun sharing what I enjoy about my hobby and if I can make it for myself and others like it then we all benefit.

Really that should be the main counter argument to my own OP. This is a hobby and as long as we are having fun, not hurting ourselves, our families or others in a contentious or monetary fashion then there should be nothing wrong with it.

I really do appreciate the responses as just sharing and getting feedback has helped with my perspective on the situation. I don't view my lights as an investment, but if my situation ever got dire and needed the money I know I could quick sell these lights and it would help me along.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello SOYCD,
I started collecting 3-4 years ago. Then a couple of years ago I became disabled. In one particularly bad month I sold a handful of Surefires to try & keep my house. I had never considered the lights an investment, just a hobby. As a flight nurse, the lights were truly needed, but not in the quantity or variety I had. It was easy to convert lights to cash, although I regret that two are out of reach currently due to scarcity. I at times feel guilty about the number of lights I have, but when I look at the number I have gifted or hear from an extended family member about an emergency where the light I gave for their car glove box saved the day, it assuages the guilt a bit. Thanks for starting this thread, it has been interesting listening to the various viewpoints. And thanks to the CPFR's who catch & release or trade or sell for a fair price to allow others to experience various lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't view my lights as an investment, but if my situation ever got dire and needed the money I know I could quick sell these lights and it would help me along.

I recall you unloading your Damascus Tri-EDC and Tri-V2 for a new laptop :devil:....just goes to show you have impeccable taste and the lights that pass through your hands are sought after, if not that sale would not have gone by so fast!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been away most of the weekend. Scout makes a good point about seeing one thing, then buying a few more, then buying accessories to have options, then buying different drop-ins. Feeling silly about having all this stuff rather than guilty may be an interesting way to looks differently on the situation.

Archimedes - thank you for that compliment. I just have fun sharing what I enjoy about my hobby and if I can make it for myself and others like it then we all benefit.

Really that should be the main counter argument to my own OP. This is a hobby and as long as we are having fun, not hurting ourselves, our families or others in a contentious or monetary fashion then there should be nothing wrong with it.

I really do appreciate the responses as just sharing and getting feedback has helped with my perspective on the situation. I don't view my lights as an investment, but if my situation ever got dire and needed the money I know I could quick sell these lights and it would help me along.

Well Said

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOYCD-

I have always looked forward to, and respected your posts.
On top of that, your sheer contribution of your time and projects to our forum is well known and appreciated!
In my opinion, as long as we keep our hobby in check (i.e- doesn't dig into family, essential funds, etc) we're all clear!
Like many of us, I too have a busy and stressful career mixed with family obligations.
I look forward to reading CPF at the end of the day, and viewing the latest ti beauties for sale!

Cheers!

scout24

Flashaholic
Re-reading my earlier, I think a bit embarrassed rather than silly... kind of. As others have said, as long as you're not spending the grocery money, get enjoyment out of it, and enjoy your time here, no harm no foul.. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also been re-reading this thread. SOYD has given a lot back to this hobby - informative posts, shared projects and modds. With all that he's given, what's a few extra lights?