"At 1 million miles, it's just broken in"

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Really amazing. Some of those vehicles are only around 10 years old. I didn't think driving 100,000 miles a year was even possible, let alone that some have done it. My mom's Chrysler 300C is a little over 2 years and only has a bit over 4,000 miles.

My own stats:

Cumulative cycling mileage since September 1980: 57,168.2 miles

I hope to hit at least 100,000 before I die.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father used to drive up to 100k miles a year, he is a real estate agent (he has his broker's license) and did a lot of travelling out of state. The only car he ever bought new, was a 1981 VW Rabbit diesel, he put 100k miles on it in the first year, and the car had 317k miles on it when someone ran into him and totalled the car a couple years later. He sold the engine to a family friend, and it was still running years later. He is getting older now and doesn't drive quite as much, I think he is down to only around 40k miles a year.

My wife had a VW Rabbit diesel that rolled over 200k miles before we got rid of it. It was bought new by her sister, and then passed onto my wife when she was in college. It was still running for at least a few years after we sold it.

My wife and I were the 2nd owners of a Volvo 240 Wagon that had over 220k miles on it, we'd probably still own it if a Dodge Ram truck hadn't plowed into my wife (my 10 week old son was also in the car) in front of our house at more than 60 mph. The car did its job though and protected my wife and son, no injuries at all.

I used to drive 25k miles a year before my wife and I settled down and started having kids, now it is closer to 15k miles a year. I can't imagine putting a million miles on the same car, I'd get tired of that. The longest I've owned a car is 9 1/2 years, and I put 116k miles on it (a Dodge Neon, my first new car) before I sold it a couple of years ago. I've driven nearly 400k miles since I started driving more than 20 years ago, but I like to drive, and would rather drive across the country than fly. My wife and I own four cars now, and split the driving among them, the most any one of them gets is around 10k miles a year.

Last edited:

DieselTech

Enlightened
I had a '94 Ford F-250 with a PowerStroke diesel, it had 305,000 on it when I gave it to my parents back in September. They're still driving it now.

My current truck, an '02 F-350 with a PowerStroke diesel, has 167,000 miles and runs like new.

My work van, an '04 E-350 with a 5.4 Triton, has 84,000 miles. I average about 50,000 miles a year in it.

The last trucking company I worked for retired trucks (semis) at a bit over 1 million miles. Modern trucks and cars run far, far longer with significantly less maintenance than they used to.

rodfran

Enlightened
We sold a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass with 145K on it. It was still going strong.
We still have a 1974 Volkswagon Beetle with 148K!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, 1,000,000 miles on a vehicle! I never knew that was even possible. The most I had ever heard was a buddy of mine had a old VW van which the speedometer stopped at right under 400,000. Is it possible to have a car reach the million mile mark? I notice all of the vehicles listed are trucks/vans.

I drive a 1994 Eagle Vision with 158 thousand and some change. I've been driving it since I was 16, and it's the only car I've ever owned. It'll be a sad day when I have to retire the beast.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, 1,000,000 miles on a vehicle!........Is it possible to have a car reach the million mile mark? I notice all of the vehicles listed are trucks/vans.
There are documentad cases of a Honda, a Volvo (or two), a Saab, and I believe a VW of passing the 1,000,000 mile mark, possibly some others as well.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any vehicle will last 10 billion miles if you keep replacing whatever breaks or falls off of it. :)

My crappy Ford Explorer has 180,000 and needs a tranny rebuild, but I keep on driving it.

I'm in the market now for a '08 or '09 Honda Pilot or '08 Toyota Highlander for their apparent durability. Lots of anecdotal evidence of that, and JD Power seems to agree.

Its a coin toss, whatever you get.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I own a '04 Honda Element that now has 137,000 miles on it. I usually put 250,000 on a vehicle before junking it. :party:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a '99 Audi, bought it used in '02, and since then have only put on 36,000 miles.;)

I intend to drive it a million miles, but as of right now gas and repairs are too expensive.:poke:

Dudemar

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 07 Isuzu NQR 16 foot boxtruck and an 06 Dodge Sprinter each approaching the million mile club.
Just give me a few to several more years to do it.
Japanese and German designs just simply kick butt! :rock:
American made versions simply suck elephant humping effers imho. :whistle:
The Isuzu is at 58K and the Dodge is at 149K as of this post.

Stay tuned. :popcorn:

mighty82

Enlightened
I have an 2001 peugeot 406 hdi that i have put about 200K miles on. I might have to change the engine in a couple of years, it's hard to sell when the milage is so high. But i'll probably keep it for a long time anyway, it's such a nice car.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I owned 2 vehicles that made the 200,000 miles mark. First one was a 92 Toyota Corolla, 238,XXX miles, when I sold it the engine and transmission was still going strong, could have gone more that 300,000. Great car, I just have to sell it because it was hit from behind and rain water was seeping inside and flooding the carpet.

The next car I had was a 96 Honda Civic with 268,XXX miles. I really love this car, fast and small. Both car never had engine and transmission replacement, only rebuilt.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 1984 Chevy Celebrity many years ago that had 231,000 miles on it with original engine/trans. I sold it because I wanted a "faster" car. A neighbor had a Chevy Cavalier with 230,000 miles still going strong until someone vandalized it so bad it was totalled by his insurance company. The father of a high school friend also had a Chevy Cavalier with 215,000 miles on it. He sold it because it was getting pretty rusty. One thing in common with these cars was the 2.8 liter V6. Very durable and long lasting.
I currently have a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a 3.1 V6 (just a slightly bigger version of the 2.8 V6) It has 156,000 miles on it, still going strong. I also have a 1996 Cutlass Supreme with the same engine, but it only has about 88,000 miles on it.

vtunderground

Enlightened
'91 jeep cherokee XJ 4x4 4.0 litre, 314,000 miles and drives like a champ

I'm a big fan of the 4.0... I had a work Jeep with 302,000 miles on it, it ran just like it came out of the factory.

My mom and her boyfriend both have Toyota pickups with over 300,000 each. I hope the 2TR-FE in my Tacoma is as reliable as those old 22R-E's!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since my last post, I got the tranny rebuilt and am still driving the Explorer at 187,000 miles. Its not record-setter, but for a crappy Explorer its doing well.

Like I say, any vehicle will last forever if you just keep replacing parts.

IMG00267.jpg

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I'm a big fan of the 4.0... I had a work Jeep with 302,000 miles on it, it ran just like it came out of the factory.

My mom and her boyfriend both have Toyota pickups with over 300,000 each. I hope the 2TR-FE in my Tacoma is as reliable as those old 22R-E's!

the 4.0 and 22RE are my to fav engines, my best friend has a toyota 22re Propane converted rock crawler, the durability of that engine is amazing even with the engine bay completely caked in Ga red clay that thing got us off the mountain from a day of crawling.

I call my 4.0 "4 liters of fury" it has the power/comfort setting, which in the xj is completely irresponsible... how many stock 4x4s made can do a four wheel drive burnout on dry pavement?