best keychain flashlight search

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Greetings:

I'm new to this forum and hoping to get some solid advice. I am looking for the best keychain flashlight on the market. I need power, brightness, and durability. I am aware of LiteFlux and Fenix but not sure if there are better ones. Any time-tested advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
The LOD by Fenix I think is the best. IT has five modes, small in sizes, runs of of any AAA, and puts out alot of light.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will really vary based on how tolerant you are of weight on your keychain. AAA lights are too big for me for keychain carry. I think this light has unbelieveable brightness for its size, very good construction, and is small enough that I might keychain carry it: http://www.lummi.co.uk/wee.php

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You would have to define best.

Best performance?
Toughest?
Most modes?

The L0D-CE Q4 is a good choice and so is the Liteflux LF2. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

:welcome:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always still the venerable Arc. I like it better then the LOD because it is a shade smaller and fits a bit better in my pocket. I did have mine Miller-modded though.

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who replied...I really appreciate the responses and info. I think I've narrowed it down to the Fenix LOD-CE and the Fenix P2D CE Premium Q5. It's a tad bigger but seems more powerful and may last longer. I also like the pushbutton feature. The LOD-Ce seems waterproof while the Q5 says it's only "dunkable"...not sure of the difference. Any suggestions from here would be greatly appreciated.

Marduke

Flashaholic
What is your opinion of this light, do you think it's rugged enough for everyday use? Do you have an LOD or Arc AAA to compare with? I doubt it actually puts out 100 lumens but I would assume it must be fairly bright.

It's a piece of junk, and not as bright as the Fenix's 75 lumens.

BMF

Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF
I got 3 of these: 1 on keychain, 1 in shirt pocket and 1 in glove box at about the same price of 1 Fenix LOD-CE Q4

What is your opinion of this light, do you think it's rugged enough for everyday use? Do you have an LOD or Arc AAA to compare with? I doubt it actually puts out 100 lumens but I would assume it must be fairly bright.

No, I don't have an LOD to compare. Rugged or not I have no idea because my work doesn't require a flashlight. I just turn it on to look at the nice white beam, for fun or to check if I need to recharge the batteries. I don't have anything to measure lumens but it's very bright at its size. At KD there's beam shot compared the two: Buckle and LOD. I did test at my local Fry's and it's brighter, more flood than Inova XO at about 4' shinning at the dark spot on the shelf's wall. Of course it's not very accurate because all the lights around but I did ask an employee happened to be there and he said the Buckle is brighter and more flood.

Order a few, they won't cost an arm and a leg. And KD is very good at customer service if you need help.

StingKing

Newly Enlightened
I have both the LOD-Q4 and P2D-Q5 (4 in 1 power pack)
I carry the LOD on my car keys and have been very happy with it so far, it is amazing how much light the little fella puts out, people at work are blown away at how bright it is compared to its size.
The P2D on the other hand I have been using at work (security at a resort) and the torch has been very useable but the size i feel is a little to small in my hand and i have been thinking of purchasing the 2AA extension tube to increase the length and be able to use AA batteries. It really depends if you want a twistie or a clickie and what sort of batteries you want to run, Which ever way you go you will be happy with both of these lights.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3 that I have been most impressed with are the:
  • MJP Extreme III AAA
  • Arc AAAP w/DS LED
  • Draco
I have them in the order that I prefer them for the following reasons:
  • MJP Extreme III: Runs on both 3.7v LiIon's, Lithium AAA, Alkaline AAA and NiMH. Excellent build quality and anodizing, tremendously useful output on low and high as configured from ArcMania. Biggest of the bunch.
  • Arc AAAP w/DS LED: The lowest output of the group and the lowest of many AAA lights on the market today but the build quality is the best of any light w/the most durable anodizing and the most fantastic knurling I have ever seen. Always raeady when you need it.
  • Draco: Smallest of the bunch, fantastically hard AlTiN finish and very nice user interface. 2 levels from Modamag (High and Low I think) and 1 level that the user can set.
The MJP Extreme is on my keychain right now having replaced the Arc and the Draco. It is a little bigger, but it outperforms the Arc in terms of brightness and flexibility, and it is able to use normal batteries in addition to the rechargeable lithiums; giving it the edge over the Draco for me.

Good luck.

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
Does size matter? How about cost?

From the one on the keys then going clockwise...
ARC-P (x1 AAA), JetBeal C-LE muliti mode (1xAA), generic $1.19 (button cell), NovaTac 85P (1x CR123)
lights-keys02%28500x325%29.jpg

The ARC-P has been on my keyring for years, and I suspect it will always be there. The JetBeam and absolutely wonderful NovaTac are a little heavy on a keyring for my taste.

Sorry about the image, I just through them on the scanner.

Better with sheet of paper on top??
lights-keys03%28500x325%29.jpg

I slip the Kershaw Chive (knife) into the top of my pants out of sight, the rest hang out over my belt. Quick access, don't get lost, quick release.

Good luck on your choice, there are more than a few to choose from....
Pick size and price range, go from there. Still not easy, lots of hit and miss.
Fathom

ps.
The JetBeam is for sale, I ordered it two days before I decided on the NovaTac, received both yesterday, new. PM if interested.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to waiting for the new LS fathom? :nana:

Squirt P4s rock..:D

The beamshot on KD site comparing the buckle light and the LOD is from awhile back, its the old LOD. Imgaine, the old LOD is rated 45 emitter lumens. IMgaine how the new 75 lumen one will comapare to the KD..

I would trust and LOD more cos the finish or the buckle light is type II, i dont think it will last. Plus, my twisite on the buckle light is iffy..

Crenshaw

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
What happened to waiting for the new LS fathom? :nana:

Squirt P4s rock..:D
Got it, LOVE it.
Very happy I got the 85P rather than 120P. One extra step is very insignificant IMHO.
My options mnemonic saved me, impossible to read guide while changing options in the dark.
LOVE the Squirt also, saved my butt a few times! And love the ARC and the Kershaw auto.

This thread got me reading the LiteFlux programmable 1x AAA/AA pdf manual. Pretty cool, possibly incomprehensible, but cool.
thinking.gif

Fathom

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it, LOVE it.
you have the new LS ?!

I need to read the Nitecore Defender Infinity PDF is anyone has it..take the edge off waiting for it..:banghead:

Come to think of it, i might make it myself once i get it..i have adobe acrobat...

Buddy of mine get the 85p too, 70dollars for the extra lumens up to 120 isnt cheap.

Crenshaw