Pila Codex Digital Module

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, totally new here!

Does anyone own the codex digital module for Pila flashlights (I searched for it here but couldnt find a post about it)? What are your impressions of it? I think it's a great idea if it works as good as it says. Always wanted to have that kind of control over the flashlight!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila has a rep for quality products. I had forgotten about it as they don't seem to get much press here lately since JSBurleys doesn't seem to be selling now. I don't own one but would like to see a review on it too. BTW :welcome:

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcoming, matrixshaman!

I live in Sweden and as far as I know there is no one that deals with Pila products around here. Overall the market for (quality) flashlights is very poor over here. And sometimes I have looked at the prices and come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to order from US or UK... especially now days when the dollar is so low. ONE guy (or a web-site) in Sweden has some cr123 batteries for reasonable price... damn expensive otherwise.

About the module... it would be so much more hightech and cool-looking to control the flashlight with such a thing :thumbsup:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi The_Viking,

:welcome:

Here's a link to my review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154559

A link to Luigi's review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/164212

...and my reaction after a couple months (the very last post at the end):sigh::

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152444

Overall it's great, but I was expecting a whole lot more; like pre-programmed morse code letters and higher memory capacity. If you're really into programmable flashlights (of which there are very few), then it's pretty awesome. I like it, just wished for more.

You can actually find a bunch of information on it, just type in "Pila Codex" in the search function. Hope you enjoy our reviews.:twothumbs

Dudemar

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Indium Smart was the mother of programmable flashlights. JSBurly (awesome former Pila dealer) used to be involved with the project, unfortunately it ran out of funding and it sadly died. If it ever comes to fruition I'll be the first in line to get one!

Here are other options, the Novatec 120P, LiteFlux LF2 and LF3. I'm not sure to what extent you can program these lights, I have yet to handle any of them personally. They look so awesome I want to give 'em a try!:popcorn::poke:

On a side note, I feel the Codex was made specifically with the Cree LED in mind. I feel it's more functional with the LED than the incan, just my opinion.

Dudemar

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few other things that give the Codex an advantage. It can use incandescent bulbs as well as the Cree LED, AFAIK the Codex is the only programmable flashlight with an incan option. Another thing is its near-indestructibility. I like to think of Pilas as the "Terminator" of flashlights, it just will not stop working. The build quality is absolutely top-notch.

Dudemar