New Arc Owner...WOW!

bitslammer

Enlightened
Just got my AAA Arc-P and Arc-U (UV) lights and now wonder what took me so long.

Great light, great quality, great everything. I got the GS LED in the P and that sucker is bright! I still have bigger lights with more throw stashed in car, motorcycle bags, laptop bags, etc., but the AA Arc looks like it's going to be my new in pocket EDC. So light and small I hardly notice it's there.

The UV is just as amazing and maybe more so. It must be the wavelength but that light seems to out shine my Invoa X1, and my 3xAAA 12 LED UV lights with ease. I guess 375nm vs. 395nm really makes a difference. To the eye (and no I didn't shine them into my eye directly) the 375nm is obviously not as visible. The 395nm have much more visible purple to them. The 375nm will bring out the glow in things that the 395nm can't seem to. Very happy with this light.

One question for other Arc owners. The LED on my ARC-P protrudes ever so slightly from the head, maybe 1/2mm or less but you can't set it down headfirst without it resting onthe LED . Should I worry about the LED coming in contact with keys/coins and is there anything I should/could do to protect it?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new LED does protrude slightly, but I doubt that it is problematic. Many of us have been carrying an Arc AAA with keys and coins for years, and those LEDs are also exposed and have not resulted in damage (to my knowledge). They don't protrude like the new ones, but nevertheless are still exposed and subject to abuse.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
One question for other Arc owners. The LED on my ARC-P protrudes ever so slightly from the head, maybe 1/2mm or less but you can't set it down headfirst without it resting onthe LED . Should I worry about the LED coming in contact with keys/coins and is there anything I should/could do to protect it?

I'm sure you'll get several thoughts on this. I'm of the opinion that it is a problem. Some will compare the GS protruding LED as no different than lights such as the LRI Freedom and others, who has the bare LED partially or fully exposed. I believe, that for what I want my Arc-AAA to be to me, this is a huge issue with the LED sticking out. That's why I sent my (2) GS units back for a refund. I'll stick with my DS versions, which are great and serve my purposes as a reliable EDC. I don't have that amount of faith with the GS units, although Peter did mention something about talking to the shop about setting the LEDS deeper into the reflector/bezel.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'm sure you'll get several thoughts on this. I'm of the opinion that it is a problem. Some will compare the GS protruding LED as no different than lights such as the LRI Freedom and others, who has the bare LED partially or fully exposed. I believe, that for what I want my Arc-AAA to be to me, this is a huge issue with the LED sticking out. That's why I sent my (2) GS units back for a refund. I'll stick with my DS versions, which are great and serve my purposes as a reliable EDC. I don't have that amount of faith with the GS units, although Peter did mention something about talking to the shop about setting the LEDS deeper into the reflector/bezel.

My take on this is not of concern towards scratching the LED, but by pushing it in, apllying force on the pill and regulator. The Arc is lightweight, but much heavier than a photon, and those don't have a pill to be damaged....

Patriot

Flashaholic
The new LED does protrude slightly, but I doubt that it is problematic. Many of us have been carrying an Arc AAA with keys and coins for years, and those LEDs are also exposed and have not resulted in damage (to my knowledge). They don't protrude like the new ones, but nevertheless are still exposed and subject to abuse.

It's really amazing how well they have held up over the years now that you mention it. If anything, a few micro-scratches probably smooth the beam some..lol

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the whole head is epoxied, but honestly i would be worried about that LED if its protruding, remember what happened with the first gen E0s?

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, what's the point of having an UV arc?

You could inspect your hotel room for things left behind by other guests. :)

There are many things you can use a UV light for. I think you can check currency with them? I'm sure someone will give us a list of things. :)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that you like your Arc. I find them to be one of my favorite lights of all time and certainly a light that flashaholics and non-flashaholics can appreciate for years and years.

Great purchase!

MrSmith

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, what's the point of having an UV arc?
http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa-uv.shtml
Some uses for the Arc-AAA Ultraviolet

• Entry control at events (pass mark on people's hands)
  • Forensics (using "Luminol", etc to show blood, semen, etc)
  • Leak detection using fluorescent dyes (automotive, industrial, pressure vessels, etc)
  • Curing UV adhesives
  • Detecting repairs in pottery, china, etc (glues typically fluoresce)
  • Stamp collecting
  • Scorpion/insect hunting
  • Law enforcement (detecting UV strip or insignia on ID)
  • Product QA (detect authentic strips on product)
  • Counterfeit bill detection - Credit card counterfeit detection (various UV marks are used on cards)
  • Geology/mineralogy (identify minerals)
  • Parties
  • Hotel cleanliness (detect substances on the sheets - requires reagent)
  • Carpet stain detection (pet stains, water damage, etc)
  • Pest control (detect rodent/animal urine)
  • Electronics (erase EPROM's, test sensors, etc)
  • Military (test UV signature of uniform as a result of detergent residue, test night vision equipment, light up scenes for starlight goggles)
  • Lab/science experiments