Multi-level driver for SSC P7 under $8 ?

NetKidz

Enlightened
After I connected two ordinary 4x AMC7135 boards, I just thought this cheap board may also be able to connect to a multi-level driver to provide the current P7 needs.

The multi-driver used is DX SKU.6190 5-mode or DX SKU.7612 16-mode Driver connect with DX SKU.1886 4x AMC7135 board

Here's the connection chart:
P7-Multi-Drv01.gif

I didn't know how the MCU works, but I think it use PWM to drive AMC7135's VDD pin. Thus just connect many AMC7135s VDD together and they'll provide enough current to drive P7. :)

From SilverFox's NiMH test, eneloop should be able to keep above 1.1v under 3A load. 4x eneloop should keep AMC7135 stay regulation. I'm waiting my other P7 and DHS heatsink. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it should be fine. Any suggestion?

Thanks. :D

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you connect the two ordinary 4 x AMC7135 drivers? Just in parallell? How did it work out?
I have burned some drivers experimenting with my P7.

Stefan

NetKidz

Enlightened
Hi Stefan,

Yes, just in parallel. Here's the wire diagram:
MAG-P7-1-driver.gif

On DHS heatsink:
MAG-P7-1-05.jpg

Haven't finished the whole mod yet. Tested with 4x eneloop and the current is about 2.5A. :)

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good. I also tried that. Might still use it in a coming mod. Right now I get ~2.6-2.7A with direct driving on three NiMH cells. Works really well, but 2.5A might be better since it will run cooler.
Stefan

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
@NetKidz Can you post a pics showing P7 on top of DHS heatsink?

Isnt that Dean connector is abit overkill? :) JST-XH is enough IMO.

Really nice on the driver, cheap alternative...

Last edited:

NetKidz

Enlightened
@StefanFS

I like regulation, so I decided to use 4x NiMH with AMC7135 instead of DD. ;) But 2.5A is still hot.

@rizky_p

Yup, it's overkill. But I only have it laying around. :green:

Here's P7 on DHS heatsink:
MAG-P7-1-04.jpg

I sand of the centering ridges. I only have a small model drill and couldn't drill through the pedestal like Mac's Seoul P7 Mag. Due to the distance of the wires, I must enlarge the reflector hole a lot. :sick2:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest a Uni-Bit for drilling very nice holes and for opening up holes on reflectors. It works great and leaves a nice finish.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
After I connected two ordinary 4x AMC7135 boards, I just thought this cheap board may also be able to connect to a multi-level driver to provide the current P7 needs.

The multi-driver used is DX SKU.6190 5-mode or DX SKU.7612 16-mode Driver connect with DX SKU.1886 4x AMC7135 board

P7-Multi-Drv01.gif

I didn't know how the MCU works, but I think it use PWM to drive AMC7135's VDD pin. Thus just connect many AMC7135s VDD together and they'll provide enough current to drive P7. :)

From SilverFox's NiMH test, eneloop should be able to keep above 1.1v under 3A load. 4x eneloop should keep AMC7135 stay regulation. I'm waiting my other P7 and DHS heatsink. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it should be fine. Any suggestion?

:twothumbs Nice Job!

p.s. If you are familiar with programming, you could make controller switch one, 2 ,3 and all AMC at a time, to raise effeciency at low levels ;)

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thanks.

@StefanFS

I like regulation, so I decided to use 4x NiMH with AMC7135 instead of DD. ;) But 2.5A is still hot.

@rizky_p

Yup, it's overkill. But I only have it laying around. :green:

Here's P7 on DHS heatsink:
MAG-P7-1-04.jpg

I sand of the centering ridges. I only have a small model drill and couldn't drill through the pedestal like Mac's Seoul P7 Mag. Due to the distance of the wires, I must enlarge the reflector hole a lot. :sick2:

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened

P7-Multi-Drv01.gif

What I can imagine is a 3 mode in a 4 C cell Maglite. 3 18650's fit in perfectly. So that is roughly 12 v @2.5 amp. I can imagine mode one- 2.5 amp, mode 2 -1.25 amp, and mode 3- .625 amp.

Tidra

Enlightened
Call me stupid, but I can't get any regulation when wire together two of those drivers.

If I wire them together like showed in this post I got only 1.4A like from 4xAMC7135...

If I just take a part (-) wire for the LED, then both drivers work like it supposed to, one with regulation modes up to 1A and another almost 1.4A, but together only 1.4A and no regulation,…

What am I doing wrong???

I removed diodes and wire jumper,...

Thank you
Iztok

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me stupid, but I can't get any regulation when wire together two of those drivers.

If I wire them together like showed in this post I got only 1.4A like from 4xAMC7135...

If I just take a part (-) wire for the LED, then both drivers work like it supposed to, one with regulation modes up to 1A and another almost 1.4A, but together only 1.4A and no regulation,…

What am I doing wrong???

I removed diodes and wire jumper,...

Thank you
Iztok

I think a picture of it might help to identify what might have gone wrong.
Stefan