Fenix Power Pack 4in1 first impressions

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
About half an hour ago, the mail came with my Fenix Power Pack 4in1 http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=22. It's a Fenix P2D with an L1D body, a waterproof cap that fits on the body you're not using, a holster, and a diffuser. The package also includes two lanyards, four spare O-rings and two spare tailcap boots.

The P2D is small, very bright, and easier to use than I would have thought. Low mode is very low, ideal for preserving night-vision. Medium is quite bright. High is blinding, and clearly brighter than an 80-lumen tactical light. Turbo mode feels like it could give you a sun burn. The turbo mode strobe is more disorienting than I expected it to be; I'm glad to have it. I can easily see wanting to use it in a tactical situation.

Putting the head on the L1D body is a snap. It's a bit bigger and a lot less bright in Turbo mode, but otherwise just as awesome as the P2D.

The holster looked dorky with the D-ring on it in the pictures, but the D-ring folds over and doesn't really bug me. Otherwise the holster's great. No loose threads, holds the light tight, altogether it looks and feels well-made. I'll use it.

The diffuser looks like nothing so much as a light-up sex toy for the under-endowed. It slips over the head and works as advertised. I'll put it with the L1D body in the bug-out bag I keep in my car, but it's not likely to see a lot of use. It feels super sturdy, though, and I won't worry about it getting banged up or broken in my bag.

The lanyards also seem well-made, and I've attached one to the P2D body for EDC.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like the light!

What's next, A fire starting hotwire mod? A 150+ meter LED thrower? A multi LED 500+ lumen light? ;)

bryaninperson

Newly Enlightened
I also received mine in the mail today. Are rechargeable batteries brighter than alkaline. If I go the rechargeable route, what should I look for in a rechargeable battery.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I also received mine in the mail today. Are rechargeable batteries brighter than alkaline. If I go the rechargeable route, what should I look for in a rechargeable battery.
Rechargeables have a better runtime, as you can see in this "AA Shootout". I prefer Eneloops, because they have low self discharging (5-10%/year).

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
What's next, A fire starting hotwire mod? A 150+ meter LED thrower? A multi LED 500+ lumen light? ;)

Would that be a mod that starts a fire on purpose, or by accident? If you mean on purpose, I know a high-energy laser scientist. Maybe he could help me out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't worry, that's normal. Next thing you know, you'll be wondering when it'll arrive.

Maybe this thread would interest you(Yes, I know this is the LED section, the Torch, the light in the video, is 6th)?

Enjoy your P2D. If you have a Luxeon I or III light, your first mod could be to swap the Luxeon for a Seoul P4 U-bin for double the output(twice as efficient).

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide what to do.

Get the Fenix power pack or go for the Olight T10 + 15body set.

:(

The Olight option is a little less expensive. But the T10 is bigger than the P2D, and not as bright (according to the manufacturers). I don't own an Olight to compare with.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Olight would throw further due to their reflector. It would also feel better then the Fenix. Everything else should be similar.

cal..45

Enlightened
@ chaosmagnet,

I just can only confirm what you wrote about the 4in1 pack. I got mine last x-mas and so far I am very happy with it. its great to have the choice to decide which kind of flashlight you want to carry, usually I carry a L1D R100 and a P2D Q5 all the time along with the P2D spare body.

funny, when I saw the diffuser the first time I also was reminded instantly about a vibrator :laughing: :D:crackup:. but this thing is really useful, I use it alot for pc gaming.

regards, holger

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I just can only confirm what you wrote about the 4in1 pack. I got mine last x-mas and so far I am very happy with it. its great to have the choice to decide which kind of flashlight you want to carry, usually I carry a L1D R100 and a P2D Q5 all the time along with the P2D spare body.

My plan is to EDC the P2D, and leave the L1D body with my stash of AA's. If my 123 runs out and I don't have/can't get a spare, then I'll change over to the L1D. I can't easily assemble a huge stash of 123's like I can the AA's (although I do have a dozen Titanium 123's on the way).

funny, when I saw the diffuser the first time I also was reminded instantly about a vibrator :laughing: :D:crackup:. but this thing is really useful, I use it alot for pc gaming.

Do I want to know how you use this for PC gaming :thinking:?

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
Guess I got ripped :scowl: I received 1 lanyard, one tail cap boot and one "O" ring.

cal..45

Enlightened
Do I want to know how you use this for PC gaming :thinking:?

yeah well, one of my favorite games is "F.E.A.R.", a great 3D first person shooter with paranormal elements. there are lots of cold, empty (besides the enemies) and sterile rooms you have to fight through and when I play at night the cold, white LED tint produced from the diffuser (low setting), put next to my desktop to enlight my keybord, somewhat enhances the games already creepy atmosphere in a great way, better than any desktop incan light could ever do.

regards, holger

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good god, computer games... Why are the lights in them always crappy incans with a god awful beam?:shakehead:whistle:

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
yeah well, one of my favorite games is "F.E.A.R.", a great 3D first person shooter with paranormal elements. there are lots of cold, empty (besides the enemies) and sterile rooms you have to fight through and when I play at night the cold, white LED tint produced from the diffuser (low setting), put next to my desktop to enlight my keybord, somewhat enhances the games already creepy atmosphere in a great way, better than any desktop incan light could ever do.

regards, holger

I think you need the red diffuser....:devil: