Fenix L0D Q4 - Brightest 1xAAA Flashlight I've Seen!

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
*after this long thread, on the bottom, I want your recommendation for another flashlight*

Hello Guys,

I'm a new member of this forum. I don't consider myself as someone who knows a lot about flashlights, but I do understand the importance of a high quality flashlight. Every two or three years, I would upgrade my flashlights (and sell the old ones). Anyway, last week I just bought the Fenix L2D and I was amazed by how bright that little 2xAA flashlight is. I immediately went back online and bought the Fenix L0D to replace my Maglite Solitaire (with Tektite LT3 drop in), and I just got it today. Wow, a few years ago, I thought my Solitaire with LT3 was bright, but the L0D is a monster. This little bugger is brighter than most of my friends' emergency 3xD cell flashlights. I haven't tested the runtime yet, but I know that my Solitaire last a little over an hour with a 900Mah NI-MH battery. From the specs, it seems like L0D will out shine my Solitaire by a mile. Even though at $50, it's a bit expensive for this little thing, but I'm very happy with my purchase and think it's every penny well spent.

Below is a comparison with my Fenix L2D, Maglite Solitaire, and Fenix L0D. As you can see, the L0D is only slightly shorter and slightly wider than the Solitaire.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/xcel730/Flashlight_Comparison.jpg

Below is what I EDC.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/xcel730/EDC.jpg

Starting from the upper right-hand-corner, I have:

(1) Paracord Lanyard that I made - Emergency paracord I guess ... I have it just it holds everything nicely

(2) Peter Atwood GasBaby wrapped with artificial sinew to reduce the klinking noise- A solid keychain prybar made out of S30V steel. I use this quite frequently to pry things, use it as screwdriver, ocassionally strip wires, ocassionally tighten some small nuts (I removed the artificial sinew once or twice), and when hanging out with my buddies, it would use it to open beer bottles :thumbsup:

(3) Fenix L0D - My latest and greatest EDC torch

(4) SOG Micron folding knife - despite its shortfall, I use this quite often. I need to find a more solid keychain knife

(5) Doug Ritter Photon Freedom Microlight - my backup light ... back in my Maglite Solitaire days (like yesterday), my Solitaire tend to run out of juice when I need it the most. I may take this off my keychain once L0D proves itself.

(6) Inka Space Pen - To write stuff ... plus my lady friend got this for me so I'm obligated to keep it there

(7) Paper clip with orange electrician tape - the tape is to prevent the paperclip from falling off. So many times I need paper clip to either poke things or hook things. I guess that why this is the MacGyver Survival tool.

(8) Paper clip with Gorilla Duct Tape - the paperclip is to hold the tape.

(9) Aluminum whistle - need to find a replacement for this POS

(10) If you look carefully, you should see I even have some keys to get home.

Anyway, now for your help ... I normally have at least 4 high quality flashlights ... two for home, one for car, and one for EDC. I nailed two out of the four already, and want your recommendation for my next two. I'm debating about the Fenix L1D because it uses common AA battery, it's small, lightweight, and easy to throw in the bag. However, I do want to get other brands to test. If I can't find anything, I'll probably get another L2D for car, and a L1D for home (I could take this for travelling) ... yeah, see how boring it is to get the same flashlights. Below are my criteria, please help ...

(1) I don't skimp on quality flashlights, so nothing below $30
(2) I don't want to go crazy either, so nothing about $120
(3) I'm not a big fan of SureFire flashlights ... they have too low of a runtime to be useful, and if they have higher runtime, they're usually too big for my liking
(4) I prefer to get something that's either 1xAA or 2xAA since the batteries are easier to replace in case I run out of juice. I'm not too crazy about the expensive CR123A batteries, so I prefer not to get 123A flashlights (unless you could convince me).
(5) You probably could tell that I want to keep the flashlight thin ... so no throwers or big heavy flashlights
(6) Preferrably I want to get something like the Fenixes where they have good high output and good runtime.

Thanks Guys

Over sized images removed

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your description pretty much nails Fenix as being right for you. I don't think anything beats Fenix for your high ouput and good runtime criteria; also for your other criteria.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like you already have a pretty good "flashlight-minded head" on your shoulders. By the looks of your keychain, is it a safe bet you found your way here from EDC Forums? If you didn't, I think you would love it there also. They are a wonderful companion site to CPF.

L1D Q5 would be a fine choice. NiteCore Defender Infinity, and Olight T15 are also worth looking more into.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we have anotehr fenix convert...welcome to the club..:)

another worthy candidate for a 1 x AAA seems to be the Lightflux 2X..available over at the marketplace, you have to be a member there.
that one is 60$ though, but interesting little bugger that i have to get one of.

take a look at Nitecore Defender Infinity from Edgetac too :D

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you already have a pretty good "flashlight-minded head" on your shoulders. By the looks of your keychain, is it a safe bet you found your way here from EDC Forums? If you didn't, I think you would love it there also. They are a wonderful companion site to CPF.

L1D Q5 would be a fine choice. NiteCore Defender Infinity, and Olight T15 are also worth looking more into.

Marduke,

I actually didn't know about EDC Forums, thanks for letting me know about it!!! I actually knew about EDCs from books and ramdom websites, and I slowly added what I need on my keychain. Nitecore seems like a pretty solid flashlight. :thumbsup:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Interesting collection you have there on that there keychain! I have an LOD as well and it's great! Technicians at work often walk around with gov't 2 D cell yellow craplights and are floored when I hand them the LOD on medium. I don't show them high because most of them are old and I don't want to scare them! :laughing:

What are you using for batteries? I'm using Sanyo Eneloops.

Do you have a link where one can pick up your item number 2?

Thanks and :welcome:

whitecloud

Newly Enlightened
Interesting collection you have there on that there keychain! I have an LOD as well and it's great! Technicians at work often walk around with gov't 2 D cell yellow craplights and are floored when I hand them the LOD on medium. I don't show them high because most of them are old and I don't want to scare them! :laughing:

Got my interest too....

http://atwoodknives.com/

wc

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whitecloud beat me to it. I got it straight from Peter Atwood, who's a reputable custom knifemaker.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I'm using Sanyo Eneloops. I'm testing the runtime right now as we speak. At the moment, I left my light on at the primary 25 lumens for close to 2 hours and it's still going without any noticeable decrease in output (some of you may laugh my primitive testing method).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should see the LOD-CE Q4 on a 10440 cell. :) It will hold its own against the L2D on Turbo. :)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the L1d for you travel needs throw in the bag type light...and to get something other than fenix although fenix tough to beat for what it can do , wait for the O-light T25 runs on 2aa should be out soon

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi xcel730 what kind of whistle you have? is really cool can you tell me where to get one THX

I actually got the whistle from eBay, it's nothing fancy. It's pretty loud, but if I had a choice, I'll get something a little thinner and more sturdy. Go to ebay and type "emergency whistle" or "safety whistle" and you should see some for a couple of bucks.

You should see the LOD-CE Q4 on a 10440 cell. :) It will hold its own against the L2D on Turbo. :)

Now that I didn't know. I'm googling for 10440 cells right now, and it only have 300mah, isn't that kind of low? How long can the L0D run on 10440? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks for all the responses.

razor7

Newly Enlightened
(9) Aluminum whistle - need to find a replacement for this POS

I have an Atwood tactical whistle that I mostly use to call my kids in from outside- we live on over 200 acres and it works well- solid stainless and very, very loud. I'm sure you have seen those, eh? Don't know of anything that compares to them.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Atwood tactical whistle that I mostly use to call my kids in from outside- we live on over 200 acres and it works well- solid stainless and very, very loud. I'm sure you have seen those, eh? Don't know of anything that compares to them.

I've seen Atwood's tactical whistles ... however, with the whistle, I don't think I'm willing to spend that much on it. Even the GasBaby was really pushing it. How is the whistle by the way?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I didn't know. I'm googling for 10440 cells right now, and it only have 300mah, isn't that kind of low? How long can the L0D run on 10440? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks for all the responses.

If you're going to try 10440's, get these:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176237

Also keep in mind Fenix does not recommend using them in the LOD-CE, and it will void their warranty. Fenix-store also does not recommend it. However, many CPF'ers have been running 10440's in their LOD-CE's without issue, but they are doing so at their own risk.

Keep in mind it can be dangerous as well and if you aren't familiar with unprotected lithium ion cells, you should read up on how to safely work with them. :)

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
this is my recommendation... You need two more lights. Keep with the same brand... I own too many fenixes to count, so although I'm biased, I also can say with some certainty that they are very reliable because I have yet to have a problem with any of them (let's just say that I have WAY more than 10, and leave it at that).

I agree with your first assessment of getting the L1D for reason that it uses a common cell; I have 2 and use it a lot around the house... however, hear me out.

Check out fenix-store if you haven't already. Here's what I do... I don't have everything on my keychain as you do but carry a leatherman surge and a lighter in my other pocket... this gives my keychain room for a P1D Q5 twisty. This takes a CR123A cell which IS slightly harder to come by, however fenix-store has great deals on these as well... (16 cells for $32 is a pretty good price for the 1550 mah panasonics, don't think you could do much better then that price finding lithium AA's). This has the same brightness as your L2D and lasts almost as long, but in a very compact form. If you are happy with the L0D on your keychain but want a good EDC light, OR if you don't like a twisty, then consider the P2D Q5 instead with the tail switch that operates like your L2D. This is a SWEET little edc!

Then, in my jacket pocket I carry the real weapon, which is the other light you need in your set of 4. Check out the deal fenix-store has on the P3D Q5 plus 3-cell tactical body. I have ... I am not going to tell you how many... but this light is awesome. Same specs as the P3D Q5 (215 lumens turbo) but with an amazing 50% more runtime... about 100 hours on low! Very nice feel, much nicer than the L2D (it is the same length and only slightly thicker), especially with gloves or mitts in the winter... very easy to hold and not drop... feels much like a little baton.

The best thing I like about it, though, is the way it can use up half-used cells. Because the voltage of the light is increased by using 3 cells instead of two, you can use 3 half-used cells without getting the warning flicker on the highest setting for quite a long time. So what I do is change my P1D's cells quite often, well before risking that the light won't work on the highest setting, and when I have 3, I throw them into the 3-cell body P3D.

The other really nice thing about this light is how it carries. You can walk around with the light on low, but with the bezel just a sixteenth of a turn away from turbo, and then side-press the bezel for a momentary turbo light. Low is usually more then adequate for casual hiking/walking, but you can stab into that creepy forest along the side of the road now and again and as you please without cycling through the different settings, or twisting the head with your other hand. None of the other lights except l2d are quite long enough to do this comfortably as they don't allow the hand quite enough torque for side-pressing. You should try this technique out on your L2D... the 3-cell p3d is easier to do this on though because of the anti-roll ring.

Now, there are other lights out there... I have an olight t20 that I like a lot; has a bit more throw and a well defined spot... but as you can probably tell I have a fairly well-established bias for fenix. (If you really want something with more throw get a fenix t1 or even one of the bigger surefires, but you will sacrifice spill)

Hope this info helps you out; hope I don't sound too bossy. I used to think like you concerning CR123A cells vs. AA but I do like the 123's now for the better runtime and the other reasons above.

Good luck in your quest for searching for 2 more lights.

Last edited:

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
oh yes, I do agree with marduke and others btw. Don't have one but know a couple happy owners of the nightcore defender. sounds like a good light.

(go with the Fenix)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitly dont like the smiley in the title and dont understand why it has been chosen
:(

ranting about what? :thinking:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I also agree that you are unfairly criticizing your whistle. I have a couple like them that I bought at a discount dollar store. I've had one on my keychain for about 4 years now.

For something that cost 99 cents, it is very well made, durable, lightweight, will probably never break, and is very loud.

I say keep it on your keychain until Surefire makes a tactical one with a strike mouthpiece LOL