ostar

beetleguise

Enlightened
If I were to mod a d cell with a single ostar, what heatsink would work best? I have only seen a few ostar mods and they were all on custom heatsinks because of the high heat/unique shape.
Thanks!

mash.m

Enlightened
i did a mod on a 1 d size mag at the past. i also make the heatsink for myself with massive aluminum. i don´t know if there is a heatsink out you can buy that is good enaought for a ostar! remember: your heatsink must be capable to handle over 15 watt of heat from the ostar! a one 1d mag is too small so you must dimm the light after 20 minutes. i used a shark with the remora board to realize this.
what battery configuration would you use?

markus

beetleguise

Enlightened
i did a mod on a 1 d size mag at the past. i also make the heatsink for myself with massive aluminum. i don´t know if there is a heatsink out you can buy that is good enaought for a ostar! remember: your heatsink must be capable to handle over 15 watt of heat from the ostar! a one 1d mag is too small so you must dimm the light after 20 minutes. i used a shark with the remora board to realize this.
what battery configuration would you use?

markus
I was going to use a 1.5d with 4 lithiums in series and a shark/remora. So, a host this small wouldn't work with any heatsink? What if it was heavily finned?

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't find anything to do a mod-at-home, I'll bet I know a shop locally that can whip up a heatsink like shown HERE

A piece of round stock turned down to the right diameter could work fine, just not as pretty as the one shown.

If you could find a chunk of Copper (Maybe too heavy) or a chunk of Aluminum, I can make this happen, we'll talk to my friend....

Yea, 1.25 or 1.5 D M@g WOULD be an Excellent Choice! I know 3(1500mAH)x17670 works, and 4(1100mAH)x14670 may, I'm just not sure on the Amps you can draw from them, but the higher voltage should help keep your driver cool.

Last edited:

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
Now that the P7 is available, there's not much reason in using an Ostar anyway.

Osram Ostar can be easily fed from nFlex, bFlex, MaxFlex, Shark+Remora, or Shark+pot -- you have multiple levels, full regulation and many other options.
AFAIK there are no comaptible drivers for P7 yet (okay, TriFluPic but I'm not sure).

-- M.

worldedit

Enlightened
I got a quad SSC Mag which should produce similar heat. Indoor its gets too hot after about 15min. Outdoor in cold weather i can run down the whole battery.
Just make sure the heat sink transports the heat to the lights body good enough. Then you will know when its time to turn it off.
You might also wanna check if the batteries get hot. I just saw a laptop explosion on youtube. :eek:

mash.m

Enlightened
I was going to use a 1.5d with 4 lithiums in series and a shark/remora. So, a host this small wouldn't work with any heatsink? What if it was heavily finned?

mine is also heavy, and glued into the mag with loctite thermal adhesiv so the body is used as heatsink too! but after 20 minutes the lamp get hot, not very hot but hot. i don´t think that you can run it on 100% continuously! so the remora board will be fine to use.
your configuration looks the same like mine. this is my most versatile light i modded untill now. small and very bright, long runtime at 50%.
the p7 emitter is also a good choice, but untill now there is now driver that can handle this led in multimode. there is one driver at kaidomain, but this also have on mode so i can drive the 7 direct from the lion cell. so the ostar is the better choice at this moment!

markus