I believe I just enlightened a LOT of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxa beam

Banned
I posted a megathread on flashlights on the 110th most popular forum on the web, and it has only been active for a minute and has thousands of views. One person is buying an HID. o.o
http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=523530
Feel free to help. You know, post some lightsaber-like light pictures. o.o
Today, we enlighten the net!

NEW LINK: some mod merged it with my other light threads, but only left the content of the megathread. I guess they were too big to fit into one thread. http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=523779

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
You forgot to take a beamshot of a stock 3D Mag for comparison purposes. Ya know, for the unenlightened.:grin2:

Cydonia

Enlightened
It's good. I'm reading through the thread now. A bit over the top... some errors but who cares... it's getting people who never thought about lights before all excited. A few have already said those beamshots beat out lasers.

I see you used the great logic argument of:

"Ok. So, if there's a 51% chance of rain, you take an umbrella, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight."

Now, find more forums, higher ranked ones, and replicate this info thread! :thumbsup:

Oh No... wait.... does this mean we will have a massive influx of newbies here asking dumb questions? :ironic:

maxa beam

Banned
It's good. I'm reading through the thread now. A bit over the top... some errors but who cares... it's getting people who never thought about lights before all excited. A few have already said those beamshots beat out lasers.

I see you used the great logic argument of:

"Ok. So, if there's a 51% chance of rain, you take an umbrella, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight."

Now, find more forums, higher ranked ones, and replicate this info thread! :thumbsup:

Oh No... wait.... does this mean we will have a massive influx of newbies here asking dumb questions? :ironic:

But eventually they'll turn into seasoned flashaholics.

Mag beamshot posted. Boy, it DOES look puny.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight."

Not quite actually true, though. The only time I've known it to be too dark to see outside is under the tree canopy in the woods on an overcast, moonless night.

I have hung out with astronomers, and these are people who love darkness. The quickest way to make yourself unpopular amongst astronomers is to switch on a flashlight. These are people who seek out the remotest, darkest places far away from towns or any artificial light that might pollute the sky or upset their night vision.

And it's remarkable, with a clear sky and no moon -- the moon is evil, a blindingly bright floodlight that destroys any chance of astronomy -- the sky is awash with billions of stars, lighting it up from horizon to horizon. And starlight is surprisingly bright, when all other lights are banished. You can see where you are going, and see all the landmarks around you.

What do you need a flashlight for?

Probedude

Enlightened
Where can I read up on the details of the light you described as "Military tank-mounted searchlight" ?

That was very impressive.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it's remarkable, with a clear sky and no moon -- the moon is evil, a blindingly bright floodlight that destroys any chance of astronomy -- the sky is awash with billions of stars, lighting it up from horizon to horizon. And starlight is surprisingly bright, when all other lights are banished. You can see where you are going, and see all the landmarks around you.

I can hear your membership being canceled as we speak. :crackup:

Katdaddy

Enlightened
"Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight."

Not quite actually true, though. The only time I've known it to be too dark to see outside is under the tree canopy in the woods on an overcast, moonless night.

I have hung out with astronomers, and these are people who love darkness. The quickest way to make yourself unpopular amongst astronomers is to switch on a flashlight. These are people who seek out the remotest, darkest places far away from towns or any artificial light that might pollute the sky or upset their night vision.

Most of us aren't astronomers thousands of miles from civilization. 90% of my usage is actually around the house. I am going from the house into the yard and I don't have night adapted vision. I find a flashlight quite usefull in that instance. I will be happy to take possession of any lights that you have so you won't risk offending your astronomer friends.:D

Daekar

Enlightened

I can actually vouch for this on a slightly lesser scale. I don't own a light with a low setting low enough to preserve night-vision in the kind of zero light-pollution setting I encounter while camping, which is one reason why I might end up buying a Novatac with the really low setting. Of course, since most of my flashlight usage takes place in light-pollution-he... uh, family site... since there's always a lot of wasteful ambient light where I live I need a higher low too. The moon IS ridiculously bright, especially on a clear night. When I'm out in the country, I can often take walks by moonlight which is bright enough to cast clear shadows. We humans truly do create many of our own problems...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mind went down the gutter when I read your opening paragraph: "I LOVE flashlights. Not in the sick, demented way" :whoopin: :whistle: Very nice photos. Those are sick HIDs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Also include this video.

If you have a Cree or any current gen LED light, I'd recommend doing a comparison beamshot with the maglite. A HID would be better but that would be out of most people's price range.

Maybe a link to CPF will be good too.

:goodjob:

umc

Enlightened
Maxa Beam,

Did I just read on that thread that you posted a link to that you own 13 lights that cost over two thousand dollars each?

Status
Not open for further replies.