Still waiting for high quality, 2D alk flashlight...!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My go-to loaner is a 2D Magled. It requires no explanations, thoughts, instructions, etc. I don't have to worry about runtime, heat, etc. It works reliably and is sturdy.

But, as we know, the led module is ok only. The question is, why hasn't someone made a good build quality, modern emitter, solid design 2D flashlight without caveats? If Maglite rebuilt their 2D to have heatsinking, a quality circuit (driving the emitter at 300-400ma with regulation, and then many hours moon mode) and a redesigned reflector, it would be that light. No levels needed; runtime would be in the 10+ hr range or more. Utterly useful and dependable, with lots of parts available.

Does anyone else want this light? I think I posted elsewhere that this is the no-nonsense light you'd want emergency workers equipped with when wading into a large scale disaster situation. Malkoff has a great drop-in, but it's not the spec I'm talking about (I have one, use it all the time and love it). And, it's not inexpensive.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is the ideal 2d output/runtime your looking for ," zetex driven " i swapped the emitter for seoul p4 last year , its great for around the house general lighting needs, i tried the 6exb but that has issues when i got "post #10" one when they first came out so that turned me off to it..the diamond module is no barn burner but it does what you ask 350-450ma regulated over 12 hours runtime ...iirc mine does 450 on fresh cells then after some use goes to 400 , wont overheat unless you pop it in a 3 cell mag where it goes DD at 900ma

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Doesn't streamlight make some D sized lights.. geared for LEOs? That are the same form / function as Mag Ds ?

I've always thought a great budget 2D would be similar to a Lowes Task force, using the same Fraen refracting optic, or perhaps a different one from that series with more flood. BUT using a better driver (higher current, better regulation), and a Cree R2 or Q5 bin.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My go-to loaner is a 2D Magled. It requires no explanations, thoughts, instructions, etc. I don't have to worry about runtime, heat, etc. It works reliably and is sturdy.

But, as we know, the led module is ok only. The question is, why hasn't someone made a good build quality, modern emitter, solid design 2D flashlight without caveats? If Maglite rebuilt their 2D to have heatsinking, a quality circuit (driving the emitter at 300-400ma with regulation, and then many hours moon mode) and a redesigned reflector, it would be that light. No levels needed; runtime would be in the 10+ hr range or more. Utterly useful and dependable, with lots of parts available.

Does anyone else want this light? I think I posted elsewhere that this is the no-nonsense light you'd want emergency workers equipped with when wading into a large scale disaster situation. Malkoff has a great drop-in, but it's not the spec I'm talking about (I have one, use it all the time and love it). And, it's not inexpensive.

That would be better than what Maglite is offering now considerably. The heasinking would not have to be much better running at that current level and with an R2 it would put out just as much light compared to what Mag is using now. Great thoughts on this.

Oh, and a few more things they could do, is make the light a little shorter, half smooth/half stipple reflector, and make the switch more waterproof. I still love my aspherical mag though. :)

JamisonM

Enlightened
I used the bulb adapter for my MT-III, a short strip of aluminum foil and the head of my L2D-CE to make a sort of drop-in for my 2D maglite. All the modes work great except Turbo and Strobe, but you can get them to work; just it's them or the other modes because you can lossen or tighten the head.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Stinger LED? That's the flashlight I'd give to my grandfather, either that or any Inova T4.

Those two lights are great replacements for common 2D lights. Not to mention the Propolymer 3C...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've heard rumors of Mag designing a purpose built LED light, instead of just cramming LED technology into it's incan lights. A guy can dream....

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for: 2 ALK D cells, 400ma or so (to the emitter, not from the battery), decent heatsinking (Terralux not so much), good build quality all around, and a modern emitter....

Cydonia

Enlightened
It's one of those situations where the only current solution is a custom light or home made. The closest off the shelf thing is the 2D Mag with MagLED of course. I just don't see anything out there closer than that:shrug: Well, you can all but double the magLED output by swapping the old Luxeon III with an SSC P4 for about $5. Sadly this appears to be the only option. One day Mag will change LED's on their MagLED's to a new TFFC I suppose. That's what I expect to see "next" from Mag... ( around 2010 I guesstimate ;) )

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to remember about maglites is that in candle mode bugs are attracted to the light and can land on the emitter. All of the newer emitters are gummy and could be ruined by this. 3 watt Luxeons are hard and don't suffer from this problem. Just thought I'd point out another excuse/reason why Mag hasn't upgraded. Until maglites come with metal reflectors and good heatsinking, upgrading a Mag is limited and sort of a waste. I'd rather get a knock-off Surefire 6P and upgrade it with a Cree R2 emitter for about the cost of an l.e.d. Mag. However, I still hope some mainstream companies come up with upgraded designs running on normal batteries.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a nice high-quality 2D flashlight is not on the radar of any mainstream manufacturer. The average customer isn't willing to pay what we are used to pay for quality/features.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just seems to me that flashlight manufacturers are all over the target with no bullseye on this one. It's strange, because prior to leds hitting the scene, 2D was it for form factor. Then, almost nothing. Another bizarre trend that flies in the face of this is power consumption. Leds are more efficient than incans, so it would seem logical to use the same form factor and benefit from the longer runtime/constant output of a circuit. But no! Instead, most makers seem to be opting for smaller lights; that fine. What isn't so fine, is that they are pushing the drive current up so that the led benefits are mitigated, while using AAA cells. I love bright lights, but remember the goal here is a good all around performer that's thoughtless. The most efficent to size form factor to me would be 4AA. A good buck circuit works great at drawing all possible from alk AA cells. This is why I'm waiting for Streamlight to replace the emitter in their propoly lux.

Flashlights are in two very broad classifications to me. Proactive and Reactive. Proactive lights are the ones you know you're going to use, and have the light prepped like the specialty tool it is. Reactive lights are the I-didn't-know-I-needed-a-light ones, for unexpected situations, emergencies, sudden conveniences and unplanned tasks. Grab it off the shelf or out of the drawer and go. That's what the 2D light I'm looking for is all about. Of course, your collection, like mine, is 95% proactive...

If I have to build my own light or mod it etc, than that defeats the purpose. I wouldn't think of the light as an inexpensive beater anymore, and would I trust my own handiwork in an emergency that means life/death? Probably not. That may not be you, but I'm not a great technician.

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I am another one wishing for updated Pro-Poly Streamlights.

In general 3 cell lights (or more) can be the cheapest since they can be either direct drive or resistored down to the LED vf. 2 cells will require a boost circuit. That said here is another 3C alternative (I know it's not 2D). Seems like a good cheap beater light.

Rayovac 3C Cree
http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/se4w3c.shtml

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I've heard rumors of Mag designing a purpose built LED light, instead of just cramming LED technology into it's incan lights. A guy can dream....

I read that too in the Shot Show thread. I asked once or twice for a follow-up, but it seems nobody visited the Mag booth or wanted to share what they found.

I really like the MagLED's output and runtime, but could definitely go for what Phaserburn is describing.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that too in the Shot Show thread. I asked once or twice for a follow-up, but it seems nobody visited the Mag booth or wanted to share what they found.

I really like the MagLED's output and runtime, but could definitely go for what Phaserburn is describing.

Just about anyone can build what Phaserburn wants. Here.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current MagLED flashlight is fine just as it is for what it does. A basic flashlight. A 4D will run for 44 hours in ruler flat regulation brighter than a krypton incan bulb. It's simple and anyone can use it.

On top of all that you can take out the light or LED module and mod a $10 body (black thursday) to any light level you desire. Why would you want that to go away ?