Wolf Eyes Angel A (1xAA Q5) - first impressions

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
In my relentless search for the perfect AA torch I decided to take a punt on one I'd heard very little about: the Wolf Eyes Angel-A. I got mine in from www.wolfeyes.com.au for AUD $99 + $10 postage, thanks to Glen for really excellent service.

So, essentially a nearly $100 AA torch, is it worth the cash? Here's my impressions and a few pix. It's not dark here yet so no beamshots. Glen is promising a few more up at www.wolfeyes.com.au in the near future.

The torch arrived in a nice gift box, containing the light, a 14500 protected 750MAh Wolf Eyes battery (more on this later), a wrist lanyard, and a simple instruction manual. Pulling the torch out I was immediately impressed with its looks. Simple clean lines, not too aggressive, but with enough grip points. The light is actually a little larger than I expected. The powder textured Type III anodising is a really nice silver grey, I've not seen it this colour before. In general the fit/finish is essentially perfect, no blemishes, no dust or smudges on the lens or reflector, no stray blobs of solder on boards. Wolf Eyes have a reputation for extremely well built torches, and this one fits that bill.

The Angel uses a simple non programmable UI with a reverse click switch. It turns on at 100% brightness, 1/2 press to 20%, 1/2 press to 2%, 1/2 press to strobe. The clicky feels pretty nice and firm. It protrudes enough to make tail standing possible but not terribly secure. There's a non-removable tail clip built in, and hole for a lanyard just above the clip. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting to the switch if it or the rubber tailcap needed replacing.

There's no bezel component to the UI, so the head actually screws into the body, with an O ring to ensure waterproofing. The threading is very smooth. The Cree Q5 LED is perfectly centered at the bottom of a quite shallow OP reflector. The lens is glass, o-ring protected, but I'm not sure if it is actually antireflective coated.

OK, put the 14500 in and fire the beast up. Wow! It's advertised at 180lm (1hr runtime) and I actually believe it, it's significantly brighter than any other CR123 or AA torch I have. 1/2 click brings about 40lm (5 hr), 1/2 click to 5lm (50 hr), 1/2 click to 180lm strobe. The brightness control is via PWM, but the frequency is high enough to not be too annoying (compared to say the Proton Pro). There's a very slight inductor whine in med/low.

The beam itself has a very tight hotspot, with the usual cree ring and artifacts. The tint is perfect white.

So far so good: rock solid build; nice simple UI; thermonuclear brightness on high. Let's pop a NiMH in...

Light comes on at 40lm, 1/2 press to 10lm, 1/2 press to 2lm, 1/2 press to 40lm strobe. Yes folks, this is essentially a 14500 only torch, the electronics just can't drive the LED very well from NiMH, alkaline or E2 lithium. On NiMH it'd be perfectly useful around the house, reading at night on low, but for blasting possums out of trees at 50 paces, the NiMH is just not going to cut it. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with this, since much cheaper lights like the NDI are perfectly willing to pump 100+ lm out of an NiMH.

So here we are at the end of the review. Summary time

Pros:
Beautifully built
Astonishingly bright on 14500
Uncomplicated UI

Cons:
The usual cree artifacts
PWM (but not bad)
Not a performer on normal AA
Expensive

I really like the torch a lot, despite its high price. It's not the perfect AA light, but then again I don't think such a beast exists yet.

angel-hand.jpg

angel-comparison.jpg

angel-reflector.jpg

angel-threads.jpg

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Wolf Eyes Angel A - first impressions

Interesting looking torch, but there is no tailcap right? So you can't see any way to open up the switch? No retaining ring deep inside?

Sheesh, I'm not a big fan of sealed switches. Looks like a nicely built light tho!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

I think the tailcap might come off just above the clip - I don't see how they could have got the clip on or the swtich in otherwise. However, I can't budge it, and I'm not about to get the tools out with a torch that's 2 hours old :)

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

The threads & the area around the spring don't look to be the best from what I can see.

Is that how it came or is it use & abuse from EDC?

The threads on the head are solid brass and actually pretty smooth. The pic doesn't do it justice, I think the bit of lube I put on made it look rough. No EDC, I've only had the thing a couple of hours!

EDIT: The threading is actually better than several torches I own where the bezel is part of the UI.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like your review on this light. I agree that on a normal AA cell the max output is about the same as the medium setting with the 14500 cell, good enough for emergency use when unable to use the 14500 for what ever reason. The fit and finish is excellent and fits nicely in the hand.....and it has that clip......and it does not roll on the table......

PS.....The thread is tighter and smoother than most lights I have in this category.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the impressions and pics. Nice group of AA lights you have there. What one is your favorite of the bunch?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Thanks for the impressions and pics. Nice group of AA lights you have there. What one is your favorite of the bunch?

Thanks regulator. Tough question, I like them all (I tend to give away the lights that I no longer like). Maybe the NDI by a whisker. If it had nicer threads and a better switch it would be much further in front.

Glen C

Enlightened

Gadgetnerd, great review. I will be asking the factory if the tailcap is removable, I found it tight too. They are on a break from 1-5th May, so it will be after then.

Cheers