Flashlight for construction (Ironworkers)?

aussiebob

Enlightened
Id maybee go a surefire G2led, damn they are tough, you would have a hard time killing it, plus it will have no trouble fitting into the bag in the link.:grin2:

DaveG

Enlightened
The Streamlight Propolymer lights are tough and not too costly.Can be had in quite a few models and battery choices.Brightguy.com as well as others have them.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How much do you want to pay?
What runtime?

I'd say a 6P + LED Drop-in, Dereelight CL1H, Fenix T10, and a few others might work.

How about a headlamp?

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Id maybee go a surefire G2led, damn they are tough, you would have a hard time killing it, plus it will have no trouble fitting into the bag in the link.:grin2:
+2...The g2l is all of the above and lightweight with great runtimes...Made in the US of A(local 27...used 2b),gl.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire E2DL is another excellent choice. It's small, light weight and very tough. It's supposed to be dual output, however the first batch had only single mode, which i quite like.

roymail

Enlightened
I'm thinking that a Surefire G2L or G3L would be very sturdy with good runtime and the ability to upgrade and/or use rechargeables.

If the G3L will fit in your bag, I'd recommend it for two reasons... it gives you a little more to grab on to and it will accomodate 2 x 17500's.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have to dissent here and recommend the Rayovac Highbeam/Sportsman Extreme 2xAA lights available at Kmart/WalMart for $20-30. Bullet proof, cheap, grippy, easy to use with gloves, comes with a great clip attached, and are available locally.

3watt is best used with NiMH cells, 1watt appears nearly as bright to the human eye and has a lot better runtime.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
For about $30 you can get a Task Force 2C light, that beats any stock Mag light.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The G2L is a good idea. I do not want to argue about fenix vs surefire, but I do want to mention that since this is for metal working the multi moded fenix may not be the best idea (the UI takes some getting used to) and I assume the most modes someone would need is 2. Maybe the L2T v2.0 Q2 or something else with the 2AA format.

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
i would reccomend a surefire 6pl or 9pl. Polymer lights and grease and grime dont work too well together. aluminum lights are tough and can take some heat from torches, welders etc.. polymer might not. go for the Surefire 9pl.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
I also recommend a 6PL but plan on purchasing your replacement 123 cells on the internet. They go reasonably on many online stores, but way overpriced at department stores.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Fenix will last about 5 minutes under those types of conditions. :shakehead

Definitely get an Inova or a Surefire or some sort, probably a 6PL.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a Gerber LX 3.0 would be up to the challenge. It may only have a 3 watt luxeon l.e.d., but mine has survived more abuse than any other flashlight I own. It's been dropped on concrete floors and accidently been smacked against a steel escape ladder hundreds of times. It handled desert heat pretty well while on too. I used it during summer at temperatures to about 120 degrees. It only has a type II anodize but keep in mind that not even HA III anodize can survive against drops, only abrasion. It costs about $50.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
If ultimate toughness including dropping is expected, maybe the Ra is called for.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Don't spend TOO much on the flashlight.

Cuz' when ( not IF ) you drop it, and Lose It,

you don't wanna' suffer "flashlight financial grief".

:mecry:

_

Minimag 2AA or 3AA LED are quite durable and should withstand ordinary abuse.

Furthermore, I believe there's a significant presence of union in the ironwork industry and perhaps using American made goods will be something your co-workers will show appreciate for.

Latest posts