SF A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my LF HO-A2 unfrosted lamp today, and I received the frosted version a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to see how each performed in real-world usage outdoors, so I took a few beamshots. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome, because I skeptical that the difference would even be noticeable in real world use.

After doing this comparison though, I have to say that the difference in performance is noticeable and reasonably significant, with the LF HO-A2 performing better than stock, and the unfrosted version performing better than the LF frosted bulb. To my eye, it seemed like the gain in output was about 25% from the Stock to the LF lamp, and about another 25% in throwing ability from the LF frosted to the LF unfrosted. To me, the output gain and boost in throw made it well worth purchasing both the LF HO-A2, as well as the purchasing the limited run unfrosted version.

I really hope Lumens Factory decides to make the limited run unfrosted HO-A2 lamps a permanent addition to their product line. Are you listening Mark?? :grin2:

SF A2 Stock Lamp, LF HO-A2 Frosted, LF HO-A2 Unfrosted
2513754082_67b4054f17.jpg

Control Shot - 85'
2513056190_3f58fbc6ee_o.jpg

Stock SF A2 Lamp - 85'
2513056418_5dbb408e7b_o.jpg

LF HO-A2 - Frosted - 85'
2512227933_a313a17ebd_o.jpg

LF HO-A2 - Unfrosted - 85'
2512228193_ac6a194a29_o.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkeye62

Newly Enlightened
Re: A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted Vers

Based on the shots, I'm glad I've got one of the unfrosties coming. How long was the shipping time from Hong Kong to you? Great shots.

Optik49

Enlightened
Re: A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted

Good Job :thumbsup:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted

Excellent shots!!!

Thank you.

Plenty of the INDOOR distances I illuminate at work are longer than that. I am also very glad I have some unfrosted lamps on the way. I cannot wait to try them out.

Great pictures, you can see the obvious improvement of the Lumens Factory HO-A2 over the stock MA02.

And then you can see improvement in the throw department with the unfrosted HO-A2. :cool: Overall output looks a little higher as well.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

bxstylez, great gif image I love it.

Richs, thanks for the great comparison pics. Very helpful useful since I don't yet have my two unfrosted bulbs.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a noticeable difference.
Now, why didn't I order one unfrosted? :ohgeez:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job! seems a bit more flood from the stock and definitely more spot from the unfrosted.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Great job! seems a bit more flood from the stock and definitely more spot from the unfrosted.

Seems to be the opposite to me. I notice more light on the plants in the lower right corner with the LF bulbs. Also, spot is brighter withLF's.

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: SF A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted

Thank you for letting me see the difference. It makes a big difference for me!
Now we need a pic of Fivemega's Strion bulb VS the unfrosted LF bulb.

Can anyone help with those pics please?

I hope the LF bulbs will be sold unfrosted as well, I don't need a smoother beam! I want an A2 with more throw!

Taboot

Enlightened
Re: SF A2 Outdoor Comparison Beamshots - Stock A2 vs. LF HO-A2: Frosted & Unfrosted

Thanks for the shots! I've got an Unfrosty on the way. Can't wait

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened

Wow!!

Excellent shots.

I have been into LEDs the last year but these shots make me want to get an incandescent for something different.

It has probably been been discussed on this forum, but what is the advantage of incandescent over LED? (Colour rendition?)

Do you think the Surefire A2 is the best regulated incandescent currently on the market?

What is the best "bulb" I could buy in terms of output? Would it be the LumensFactory ones? (like the unfrosted above)
What is the lumen rating for this?
How long does an incandescent bulb usually last? (average usage)

Also, where can I buy these?

Sorry for all the questions :shrug:

Thanks
From a future Incandescent owner!!!!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Color rendition is better. It also produces a more natural light, though still not the same as the output of the sun, but much closer than a phosphorus coated (blue) "white" led. Incandescents are much better for navigating outdoors in the woods and in some cases indoors as led's tend to throw shadows on everything.

The incandescent also puts out more useful light, as blueish tinted led light tends to reflect back at the user and cause more glare, making it harder to see. Sometimes, it may appear brighter, but a lot is reflecting. Yellow tinted light does not reflect back as much and as a result throws better and is more useful and easier on the eyes. For example fog lights are usually yellowish.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

Incan's render the full color spectrum better than even the best white leds we have right now. This is most noticable with reds and greens where white LEDs have poor output. As far as I know the surefire A2 is the only regulated incandescent portable light on the market, and has the advantage of extended runtime if you chose to use the LEDs. Lamps are usually said to last between 20-30 hours but because the A2 is regulated I'm guessing it will have better lamp life. It may not seem long but if you think of it in terms of battery changes that's at least 20 pairs of cr123's before you need to change the bulb.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I'm not sure CPF is aware of any user needing to change the bulb at 20-30 hours. I don't recall ever reading this. SureFires bulbs have extremely robust lifespans and the MA02 used by the A2 is probably the best there is.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could have sworn I read that in some surefire paperwork like 8 or 9 years ago.

and then there's this thread and I'm sure a few others at some point in time.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/65

Look at the specifications tab for the M4 and every other xenon surefire here you see it listed as 20 hours. Pretty sure that number came from surefire but at least now I know I'm not crazy :)

http://www.brightguy.com/products/SureFire_M4_Devastator_flashlight.php

Edit: and for the record I've never burned one out either, but I don't think I've put more than 10 hours on any incan lamp assembly yet. Now that all my user lights are LEDs I doubt I ever will either.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

I realise that 'rated lifespan' for SureFire bulbs is in the order of 25 hours - as the linked threads show this is a conservative figure - certainly not an average with bulbs failing due to old age in a 'bell curve' distribution about the 25 hour mark (some earlier, some later). It appears to be more like a minimum or at any rate the time at which one may care to rotate the bulb out of service on principle [before its output drops or it begins to show signs of age]

DM51

Flashaholic

RichS, thanks for those shots - and bxstylez for the gif.

The unfrosted lamp looks noticeably brighter.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the kind remarks! Glad this was useful. I was really happy that LumensFactory was able to take an already impressive product like the A2 and make it even better with their lamp.

bxstylez - thanks for the animated gif!! Dang - I really need to get a second tripod to hold my light when I do these shots..what's up with my aim?? :duh2:

I wish I knew how to do these gifs..it's very useful in these comparison shots.

Last edited: