Florida Teacher Allegedly Lets Kindergarteners Kick Autistic Boy Out of Class

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
i saw on cnn she got reassigned and not in a teaching role anymore.

hope that means lifelong secretary

roguesw

Enlightened
I teach disabled and mentally challenged kids English here in Japan. I cant believe someone would let that happen.
If she did that to my kids, i hope she got a position as the latrine cleaner for the rest of her life.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a parent of a child with an autistic spectrum disorder, I am pained to write that I am not surprised.

I have a legion of horror stories regarding public education in Montgomery County, MD.

:ironic:

Nonetheless, this is appalling.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
While this does sound bad, remember that you are not hearing all sides of this story, nor if the teacher even knew the child had a disability, nor if she understood what it meant, or how it manifests. We also don't know what her full reaction/response was once she was confronted. Most people (including many teachers) know nothing about a disability like this, and may make a mistake of thinking this was a behavioral (intentional) issue. In any case, all the quotes are from the child's mother, so let's be at least a trifle suspicious of the veracity of the story.

Depending on the teacher's side of the story and whether she had an appropriate & responsible reaction, I think the "burning her at the stake" banishment from teaching comments are ill informed.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, my comments are not ill-informed. A little research yesterday turned up this:

"The teacher had worked at the school for nine years and had been part of the Special Education meetings process of Alex. She was also part of Alex's Individual Education Plan (IEP), which is used for children who have special needs."

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
No, my comments are not ill-informed. A little research yesterday turned up this:

"The teacher had worked at the school for nine years and had been part of the Special Education meetings process of Alex. She was also part of Alex's Individual Education Plan (IEP), which is used for children who have special needs."

That is more specific and erases most of my waiting to hear some objective background. I see too many instances where an initial flashy headline is not informed by all the facts, and people react prematurely. I was only responding to the OP link which didn't have any factual information like your link provided. I was specifically reacting to the extreme "fire and never teach again" comment before other information/sides came out...which is why I said "depending" in my final sentence.

In no way am I implying that anyone should be excused for mistreating a child (with or without a disability). It remains puzzling why a teacher fully aware of the child's situation, and with 9 years experience would be so insensitive...and would still be interesting to hear her side of the story.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the teacher should be fired, especially if she was took part in the student's I.E.P. The purpose of an I.E.P. is for the teachers and parents of the student to sit down together and set realistic goals for the student to attain over time. How is a teacher who is responsible for the mental growth of a disabled student able to kick that student out of class? If that was one of my brother's teachers, she would never teach again, and I would see to it that she didn't. My brother is autistic and as his home care provider and conservator, I have been to his I.E.P. meetings. This story made me mad, but I'm glad my brother has better teachers and we shouldn't take good teachers for granted.