Help to buy P1D Q5

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everybody, I'm a new user and I live in Europe where the flashlite market is not so enhanced than in USA/Canada. I' found this forum by googleing and found it very interesting. I think that I made now the good choice for me as I'm looking for a small and not so expensive flashlite. My choice goes to the P1D Q5 for quality/price reasons and because of some interesting accessories. But I still have some questions before buying it :

- Where to buy it ? Fenix-store.com (offers free worldwide shipping, and maybe 8% discount for CPF users as I read somewhere in the forum)

- Which batteries ? rechargeable, non-rechargeable (which quantity as they are very expensive in europe in comparison of USA)

- What accessories ? I like the "Fenix 360 Bike Mount" and "diffuser"

- I'm thinking of a E01 as it's only 15$ but I'm still not sure about the utility is more a buying impulsion :)

Well, now I hope you could help making my choice the best one or give my some better alternatives.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix-store is the way to go..:) you can get batteries from there too. I buy my batteries from fenix-store, they offer reasonable prices, but the kicker is the free shipping, so you dont kill your budget with batteries. I buy the 16 pack, which lasts pretty darn long, especially if you are using a single cell light.

As for accesories, i have found the white diffuser to be THE most useful out of all the competible accesories.

I read somewhere that the fenix bike mount is not pretty good (they used less kind words when talking about it), buy the Twofish lock blocks if you are serious about attaching it to your bike. Those things grip like the worlds gonna end.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- +1 for Fenix-store.com

- Your P1D prefers primary/non-rechargeable batteries, be sure to stick to quality brands only; Panasonic/Surefire, Duracell, Energizer.

- +1 for the diffuser, this effectively turns the P1D into the world's smallest lantern. You might also consider the red filter adapter if you plan on using the P1D as a nightstand light, this plus the low mode makes for a comfortable getting-up-in-the-night light that will save your night vision.

- The E01 is pretty much made to be an impulse buy, if you can find a use for a keychain light with standard brightness for that class, only far more durable, it's a fine choice. (If you have much greater needs and demands from a keychain light, there's the more expensive L0D)

Niconical

Enlightened
:thumbsup: To all the above replies, P1D CE Q5, white diffuser, red filter. Great.

Also, if you want to buy batteries separately....

www.batterystation.com

Just email and you will get a fair quote on shipping to Europe. For example I have ordered 20 x CR123A, a small Pelican case and some AA lithium, and that all fits into a flat rate international pack for which the cost is $15/10 EUR

Also, don't forget that at the moment the exchange rate is really good, around $1.5 to 1.00 EUR, so take advantage of this and order what you can from the USA.

fluke

Enlightened
+1 on the above about shipping, always contact them and get a quote as the online shipping calculators don't always take everything into account, I have found most US suppliers are always willing to help.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Fenix store are the best. I have ordered several times from them. The free shipping is an advantage but last month I was hammered by customs. I ordered an L1D for $60 but had to pay £4 VAT and £8 Royal Mail handling fee ! :mecry:

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks a lot for your contributions.
I ordered an L1D for $60 but had to pay £4 VAT and £8 Royal Mail handling fee !
That's the point. I will send to France and there is a french website selling fenix flashlites too (neolumen.fr) but they don't have maybe all items I want. I have to check what option is the best with the currency.

I read somewhere that the fenix bike mount is not pretty good (they used less kind words when talking about it), buy the Twofish lock blocks if you are serious about attaching it to your bike. Those things grip like the worlds gonna end.

I good think to know. I didn't pay attention to this item on fenix store because I thought it was only for battery tubes.

The E01 is pretty much made to be an impulse buy, if you can find a use for a keychain light with standard brightness for that class, only far more durable, it's a fine choice. (If you have much greater needs and demands from a keychain light, there's the more expensive L0D)

That's the point E01 is only 15 bucks so it's really attractive due to his low price and it's color choice :naughty:. As L0D is a real flashlite but is 3 times the price of E01 and cannot afford it...for the moment because it's seems that flashlites are like the drug, you can rapidly become addict :rolleyes:

jenskh

Enlightened
I live in Norway, and I have bought from Fenix store several times. Good prices fast and free shipping, so that is fine. The only thing is that they mark the packages with correct value, which means in Norway that the customs will charge about 20 $ + 25 % of the ordered value.

I have also ordered several times form different sources in China, and they have always marked the packages so that they go straight through customs without any expenses :sssh:

Of cource you can not criticize anyone for doing it the proper way, but for someone it could be an issue :whistle:

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
Hazzgard: The two fish lockblocks are great for bikes. They are probably alot more durable since they are rubber and not plastic. I use two on my handlebars and one on my helmet.

What I don't like about the 1x123 fenix lights is that they don't work well with regular rechargeables. This is very annoying for me since I like using lights while cycling which means alot continuous use. It's sucks that they are much larger but for rechargeables the AA-lights are probably better. I use my P2D with recharbeables but it means I don't have low levels.

I just checked the fenix store, they sell regular p1d + E01 for $56.50!

Just keep in mind the issue with recharbeables, If I had known it would be a problem for me I would have looked for something else instead of getting my P2D.

I've ordered from fenix store to sweden twice with no custom problems!

Cheers!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Flashlight, batteries, and accessories you can all buy at Fenix Store, 8% off coupon for orders totaling over $20 USD is "CPF8".

For a bike light, I would think something with a clickie switch would be easier to use then a twistie.

If you buy the P1D-CE Q5, I think you'll like it.

:welcome:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If CR123 batteries are incredibly expensive in Europe, I would choose a light that uses a rechargeable AA or AAA battery. I have both the Fenix L0D (AAA) and L1D (AA) and like them both. The L0D is great for a keychain light and the L1D is a good bit bigger but has a switch instead of a twisty mechanism.

You can't go wrong ordering from the Fenix Store with the CPF discount. I've been treated very well by them.

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
oh, and dont forget..

CPF8

OK Thanks :)

Hazzgard: The two fish lockblocks are great for bikes. They are probably alot more durable since they are rubber and not plastic. I use two on my handlebars and one on my helmet.

Just keep in mind the issue with recharbeables, If I had known it would be a problem for me I would have looked for something else instead of getting my P2D.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm already aware for the issue with rechargeable batteries.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I too am in Europe (Portugal), and can only say good things about:

1. fenix-store.com
2. lighthound.com
3. Fenix P1D Q5

My orders from these two suppliers were never caught by customs, and were always fast and reliable. Highly recommended, both. As for the P1D, FANTASTIC light as it is, and totally OUTSTANDING if you get a Leef body for it. As for the E01, mine should be arriving early next week...

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
My choice is done, I need just one more information. If I order E01 or L0D from fenix-store.com, which batteries AAA shall I order because I don't see any batteries of this class on store. I read on the forum that eneloop are the best, it's true ?

Hazzgard

Newly Enlightened
Well, I placed my order some minutes ago.
- 1P1D Q5 Olive + white diffuser + 3 twofish lock + 4 Panasonic CR123A + E01 blue.

Thanks for your help , I will put some feedback when I receive the items.

In order to compare I found yesterday in a weapon's shop in my town a P3D (surely Q4 and not Q5) at approx. 124$ :ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I hope you like it!

The E01 should run fine on Alkaline batteries.

$124 is almost double the price it is shipped from Fenix Store. Pretty big difference.