Very Best Sheath for belt carry- SureFire 6P?

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I have a great SF 6p (my first and is it a tough light or what?) with a q5 emitter running 17670's. I want to make it my edc-work-belt carry.

I found a Maxpedition universal flashlight sheath at LightHound that looks pretty good. Anyone found a better/longer-life sheath for belt carry?

Off-Topic- Shot my first black bear a couple of weeks ago. measures about 6.5 feet! Just happened to have a pair of lights on me (ok, I had four)- a 3d-CL1H, the SureFire 6P with q5 emitter, a $19.99 Cabella's 6P knockoff special with q5, and my trusty UltraFire Q5 5-mode Stainless. Oh yea and the little C3 too. Then my partner, Bill Stock of Beaumont, got a record bear the same night. Both our bears came in at about 390-400 lbs. It was pitch dark when we finally got the bears into camp. We used my flashlights for over an hour, illuminating the area for the camp guides to get the bears out.

I am thinking of looking for a flashlight mount for my 1952 Marlin model 336 35 Remington. My bear was shot late in the evening, and 20 minutes later I was thinking about how dark it was becoming with all those Alberta Black bears around here as we do our work.
For late night tracking a gun mounted light would be wise I think.
imgp0769_2.jpg

Last edited:

Meltdown

Enlightened
Maxpedition makes good stuff and your not likely to wear it out in 3 lifetimes. personally I like a belt holder that puts the light on my non gun side and at an angle. i'm still looking for the perfect holder. for style, my Wilson Combat 6P holder in sharkskin is ****!

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I had a maxpedition for my duty belt when i had a T3, but since moving onto the WE lights unfortunately they are to wide to fit. The Maxpedition sheaths are nice and solid, unlikely to break in a hurry. Wish i could still use it.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
+1 on the Maxpedition gear! Top quality and durability. Their products are definitely in the "trust you life to 'em" category.

bagman

Enlightened
The Maxpedition sheath you are looking at is probably going to be too big for your 6P, I used to carry a 3 cell Pila and a SF M3 in one (not at the same time though, its not that big :D)

I use the MP single magazine pouches for large multitools on my duty belt so can have a go tomorrow to see if a 6P fits in these.

SF's pouches are very good both the nylon and the polymer V70.

Blackhawk's torch pouches are also excellent as are Spec Ops.

Khemist

Newly Enlightened
I'm a recent Maxpedition convert myself (Black Jumbo and small clip phone holster, both are excellent I might add)...it doesn't look like any of their sheaths would be good for my new novatac though, right? They look too deep. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

bagman

Enlightened
I'm a recent Maxpedition convert myself (Black Jumbo and small clip phone holster, both are excellent I might add)...it doesn't look like any of their sheaths would be good for my new novatac though, right? They look too deep. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I haven't seen a MP pouch small enough for a Novatac, I suppose might be able to use one of the tube sheaths and put a container in the bottom with spare batteries to get the light at the correct hight to withdraw?

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Maxpedition makes good stuff and your not likely to wear it out in 3 lifetimes. personally I like a belt holder that puts the light on my non gun side and at an angle. i'm still looking for the perfect holder. for style, my Wilson Combat 6P holder in sharkskin is ****!

Thanks for the tip on Wilson. sharkskin- that's interesting.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
The Maxpedition sheath you are looking at is probably going to be too big for your 6P, I used to carry a 3 cell Pila and a SF M3 in one (not at the same time though, its not that big :D)

I use the MP single magazine pouches for large multitools on my duty belt so can have a go tomorrow to see if a 6P fits in these.

SF's pouches are very good both the nylon and the polymer V70.

Blackhawk's torch pouches are also excellent as are Spec Ops.

I will check out the nylon SF's. Blackhawk too and Spec Ops. Thanks.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I haven't seen a MP pouch small enough for a Novatac, I suppose might be able to use one of the tube sheaths and put a container in the bottom with spare batteries to get the light at the correct hight to withdraw?

I have one of the MP 5" tube sheaths for my UV Inova. It fits perfectly, could not fit better. Could not get the 6P into the tube sheath.

bagman

Enlightened
I have one of the MP 5" tube sheaths for my UV Inova. It fits perfectly, could not fit better. Could not get the 6P into the tube sheath.

If I remember I will take my Novatac into work and try it in a MP mag pouch, they are a bit bigger than the tube sheaths and have elastic sides with quite a bit of give.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Concealco (AKJ Concealco) makes some of the nicest leather holsters available. Each fits a specific model, and is wet-molded for a perfect, snug fit. Low priced when you consider the quality, which is beautiful.

It sometimes takes Andrew 3-4 weeks to fill an order, but the holsters are well worth the wait.

SF100A_knife_shark_480.jpg

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Concealco (AKJ Concealco) makes some of the nicest leather holsters available. Each fits a specific model, and is wet-molded for a perfect, snug fit. Low priced when you consider the quality, which is beautiful.

It sometimes takes Andrew 3-4 weeks to fill an order, but the holsters are well worth the wait.

SF100A_knife_shark_480.jpg

That is a sweet looking holster up there. Great for semi- formal attires.

For me I'd get the one above and a Maxpedition for more rugged use.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what your criteria are for the "very best sheath", but you might check this thread on some bezel-down carriers.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193801

The thing I don't like about most flashlight scabbards is that they protrude too far below the beltline, which is bad for low-profile carry.

One thing you might need to consider with leather tailcap down rigs is if the bottom of the pouch is contoured so that the SureFire tailcap button doesn't get pressed in accidentally (for example, if there is downward pressure on the bezel from a seat belt or whatever).

"V" shaped pouch bottoms (with the correct angle for the V) lets the leather angle past the button, with the outer circular edge of the tailcap sitting on the V.

I've used my Kydex carriers for EDC for over 10 years, as well as in many multi-day shooting classes at some of the major schools. The lights are held securely and the carriers robust and comfortable.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Not sure what your criteria are for the "very best sheath", but you might check this thread on some bezel-down carriers.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193801

The thing I don't like about most flashlight scabbards is that they protrude too far below the beltline, which is bad for low-profile carry.

One thing you might need to consider with leather tailcap down rigs is if the bottom of the pouch is contoured so that the SureFire tailcap button doesn't get pressed in accidentally (for example, if there is downward pressure on the bezel from a seat belt or whatever).

"V" shaped pouch bottoms (with the correct angle for the V) lets the leather angle past the button, with the outer circular edge of the tailcap sitting on the V.

I've used my Kydex carriers for EDC for over 10 years, as well as in many multi-day shooting classes at some of the major schools. The lights are held securely and the carriers robust and comfortable.

You bring up good points here. Never thought about the pouch turning on the light. After reading all these good comments I have some thinking to do. You guys are great. Fortunately I do not have to wear a seatbelt in my engine cabs. The bottom of the light needs to be above the seat level when seated though.

Lots of twisting and pulling through tight spots requires some flexebility in the sheath. (Just finished wrecking my new phone sheath while dragging my bags through a tight engine door.)