New Dorcy lights?

40calPUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
anyone know when the Dorcy 220 is coming out? i cant find anything on the net about it...

40calPUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
Re: DORCY 220 Lumen LED?

yea, they must have just made it avail. cuz i just checked it a couple days ago. thanks!

kramer5150

Flashaholic

looks pretty beefy. I have been impressed with the Dorcy stuff I have owned. They should have designed it around an easily replaceable 18650 cell though...

:sick2::sick2:proprietary battery packs:green::sick2::sick2:

IMHO your $$ is better spent on a Q5 light at DX or shiningbeam. You can get 18650 cells, ~200 Lumen light and charger for around the $55-65 mark.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Thread.

I agree with kramer, though shipping will take some time, I'd rather get a DX thrower like the WF-600.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

This light is available at Sears. I just got one and am thinking about getting another! It is bright, a great thrower, and is the best made Dorcy I have ever owned. An 18650 will fit into it and it works with a spacer, but it is not quite as bright. I have been thinking about trying it with 2 CR123's. The battery that comes with it is 4.8 volts, and 2 CR123's are of course, 6v. I am just not sure if I will do the light any damage. The battery that comes with it is a Nicad and if it gives 2 hours of light per charge, I will be happy!

Mike

russwm

Newly Enlightened

mikekoz, I did that with my MaxFire Xenon Rechargeable Flashlight after its Ni-cd battery stick died. It also had a 4.8v. battery stick, and I replaced it with two CR123's and a dummy battery spacer. It did not do any damage to the light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I have been thinking about trying it with 2 CR123's. The battery that comes with it is 4.8 volts, and 2 CR123's are of course, 6v. I am just not sure if I will do the light any damage...

Be careful Mike... Li-Ion cells can become explosively hazardous when used improperly. If say you overloaded the Dorcy circuit with the 6V, something fried and it were to internally short + to -... the CR123 cells could :poof::poof:

(cringe, hoping you have good medical insurence)

IMHO you should just look for an OEM supplier of those raw Ni-CAD cells and wire up your own pack. That would be a LOT safer. They should be easy to find. If you buy them in bulk it could work out cheaper per milliamp than a bunch of quality primaries. You might even find some higher capacity than the Dorcy OEM 700mAh.

**edit**
found these 2/3A cells in 30 seconds of www searching. Just get a bunch of these and hot wire them into packs of 4 for a few bucks. Ni-CAD may be old out-dated technology by todays standards, but they are reliable, durable provided you don't over-charge them, and are a great way for the noob-hobyist to get into it. I have lost track of the number of times I have over-charged Ni-CD cells for my RC hobbies, many of them still work. They get HOT, vent and hiss... but they will not instantly explode... you'll see/hear signs of distress before they really go out.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/q1ed-g23a700p.html

Good Luck!!

The above comments are directed towards THIS light NOT the 3xCR123 light merged below...
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-158-41-4299-rechargeable-cree-xre-led-flashlight-w-adaptors.aspx

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened

hMM so this flashlight wont be safe to use Cr123A primaries at all? or am i gettign this wrong?

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
alright, i guess this would be the spot, thanks for the move!

anyone know if the K2 would be a good thrower in that kidna set up?

kramer5150

Flashaholic

hMM so this flashlight wont be safe to use Cr123A primaries at all? or am i gettign this wrong?

I edited my comments above. Mods merged two different light discussion threads into one.

There are now TWO different lights being discussed in this thread...

1- Cree XR-E, Ni-CAD rechargeable
2- Luxeon K2, 3xCR123

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Dang the cree light looks good, but i hate rechargeables....

i'd perfer the 123 primary light, but seems to be weaker

Kramer, how do u over charge a Ni-cad? ( or more specficlly, would the cree dorcy over charge? and how do i prevent this? )

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Dang the cree light looks good, but i hate rechargeables....

i'd perfer the 123 primary light, but seems to be weaker

Kramer, how do u over charge a Ni-cad? ( or more specficlly, would the cree dorcy over charge? and how do i prevent this? )

3 primary methods to charge Nicad cells...

1- PEAK DETECTION
NiCAD battery voltages will slowly rise as the cells are charged, stabilize for some time and then DROP rapidly once the cell is fully charged. Charging the cells past that voltage drop point does nothing to increase their capacity, as the voltage plates internally are already "loaded", the cell at that point begins to heat rapidly. It is this heat and the internal expansion of the chemicals inside that causes the cell to "vent". (thats what the little holes are for on some types of NiCAD cells).

Most well designed chargers have a built in circuit to monitor battery voltages, and stop the flow of current once that voltage levels off and begins to drop. This is called a peak detection charger.

2- WALL WART
I have seen some wall-wart type chargers that charge at a very low rate (~30 milliamps). You just plug the cells in overnight and let them soak it all up. There is no peak detection circuit, as the charge current is too low to heat up the cell and cause thermal damage. These are not the best chargers, but they get the job done... cheaply.

3- MANUAL PEAK DETECT
The third way is to manually monitor battery voltage with a digital multi-meter. You connect your meter terminals across the cell as it charges and manually watch the voltage climb & drop. The user cuts off the charge manually when the voltage begins to drop. This is how RC enthusiasts used to charge their batteries in the mid-80s, before peak detection circuits became the norm.

So.. that dorcy charger most likely has scenario 1 or 2.... most likely scenario 2 (speculating). An email to Dorcy should clear that up.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be careful Mike... Li-Ion cells can become explosively hazardous when used improperly. If say you overloaded the Dorcy circuit with the 6V, something fried and it were to internally short + to -... the CR123 cells could :poof::poof:

(cringe, hoping you have good medical insurence)

IMHO you should just look for an OEM supplier of those raw Ni-CAD cells and wire up your own pack. That would be a LOT safer. They should be easy to find. If you buy them in bulk it could work out cheaper per milliamp than a bunch of quality primaries. You might even find some higher capacity than the Dorcy OEM 700mAh.

**edit**
found these 2/3A cells in 30 seconds of www searching. Just get a bunch of these and hot wire them into packs of 4 for a few bucks. Ni-CAD may be old out-dated technology by todays standards, but they are reliable, durable provided you don't over-charge them, and are a great way for the noob-hobyist to get into it. I have lost track of the number of times I have over-charged Ni-CD cells for my RC hobbies, many of them still work. They get HOT, vent and hiss... but they will not instantly explode... you'll see/hear signs of distress before they really go out.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/q1ed-g23a700p.html

Good Luck!!

The above comments are directed towards THIS light NOT the 3xCR123 light merged below...
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-158-41-4299-rechargeable-cree-xre-led-flashlight-w-adaptors.aspx

Good advice that I will follow! :thumbsup: This light is great the way it is and I think I will put my efforts into finding a supply of batteries like this. I may even go to Batteries Plus here this weekend and see if they can make me one. If I can find the cells, I may be able to make it myself!

Mike

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
3 primary methods to charge Nicad cells...

1- PEAK DETECTION
NiCAD battery voltages will slowly rise as the cells are charged, stabilize for some time and then DROP rapidly once the cell is fully charged. Charging the cells past that voltage drop point does nothing to increase their capacity, as the voltage plates internally are already "loaded", the cell at that point begins to heat rapidly. It is this heat and the internal expansion of the chemicals inside that causes the cell to "vent". (thats what the little holes are for on some types of NiCAD cells).

Most well designed chargers have a built in circuit to monitor battery voltages, and stop the flow of current once that voltage levels off and begins to drop. This is called a peak detection charger.

2- WALL WART
I have seen some wall-wart type chargers that charge at a very low rate (~30 milliamps). You just plug the cells in overnight and let them soak it all up. There is no peak detection circuit, as the charge current is too low to heat up the cell and cause thermal damage. These are not the best chargers, but they get the job done... cheaply.

3- MANUAL PEAK DETECT
The third way is to manually monitor battery voltage with a digital multi-meter. You connect your meter terminals across the cell as it charges and manually watch the voltage climb & drop. The user cuts off the charge manually when the voltage begins to drop. This is how RC enthusiasts used to charge their batteries in the mid-80s, before peak detection circuits became the norm.

So.. that dorcy charger most likely has scenario 1 or 2.... most likely scenario 2 (speculating). An email to Dorcy should clear that up.

thanks for the insight! i might pick this up after i get my TK10