INDIANA JONES CEREAL BOX FLASHLIGHT REVIEW

StarHalo

Flashaholic
ibu1p5qduXtUbq.jpg

So I got a tiny white box in my mailbox from "Kellog Company" today, turns out the folks at Kellog's might actually beat out some of our overseas flashlight parts providers when it comes to shipping time.. Inside was this:

iZiMmThtNm29B.jpg

The packaging advises "CAUTION! Do not aim at eyes or face!" (I guess that's more verbose than "STRONG LIGHT" printed on a bezel..) and notes that the light is powered by three LR44 batteries.

ifOjl2fB2QFvW.jpg

The unit overall is quite large by the enthusiast's EDC standards, while the shoestring-soft lanyard is rather small. Interesting graphics are imprinted into the gold plastic at the fore and rear, with the middle being coated with a thin brown rubber texture. The gold button in the center is a momentary-only.

ibj2bgiopSAQqw.jpg

The opposite side features the single-screw battery cover. Bad news for modders - those are triangle screws on the body.

i8fhjMIPyOJvT.jpg

Did I mention that this thing is LARGE? The body plastic is modest-gauge with a hollow feeling overall, it feels lighter than any of the pictured EDCs.

i9hc0dB417eN5.jpg

Reflector comparison; While the head of the IJ light is gold, the reflector is ...brown. The plastic lens feels rather solid but has some wavy/mottled effects to it.

iW48WvMVySnvA.jpg

Detail of reflector. The white object at the upper left is trapped inside the reflector, it looks like a molding remnant that got loose.

The beam:

iBeZIGutYMJew.jpg

It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN! No, it's a 5mm blue-ish LED shining through some mildly mottled plastic with a non-reflecting reflector.

iUB2S98pRf2dI.jpg

Left: Fenix P1D P4 (lowest setting), Center: Lighthound keychain light, Right: Indiana Jones light

To be fair, the IJ light does have a more concentrated hotspot than the Lighthound light, however there's less light overall due to the "optics".

Overall:

This is the largest and most ornate 99 cent keychain light I've ever owned. I'd like to think the extra three dollars I spent went towards the flashy engraving and rubber-coat center grip, but in the end I'm pretty sure this is now the one flashlight in my collection that my five year old niece can play with without going blind or blinding others. Highly recommended for your kindergarten flashaholic :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I think it needs a P7.... :cool:

Thanks for brightening up my day.. I especially like the first picture, with those Fruity-loops... :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh and I just noticed that I have the same kind of cereal bowl that you do! Hah...

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's surprising to see that they're using actual screws in a product that's intended to be an inexpensive toy. I would've expected molded plastic latches.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
No doubt its destined to be a collectors item. ;)

You should leave it sealed in the plastic baggie, then in 2035 that little puppy will be worth $200.

e2x2e

Enlightened
No doubt its destined to be a collectors item. ;)

You should leave it sealed in the plastic baggie, then in 2035 that little puppy will be worth $200.

LOL but by that time $200 will be a negative value because of inflation!!!

NICE light!!! :crackup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for brightening my day with this great review - with beamshots even! wow

Looks like you could hollow it out and fit a whole P1D or L1D inside. Then you'd have a really cool looking light that works great also.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may get beaten up for this but I kinda like the brown part of the flashy light. I think it looks neat...sorry :(

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it hard-anodized type V plastic? Can you swap the emitter with a P60?

How's the throw? Let's see some beam shots outdoors against the L2D Q5 or Jet II IBS.

Can it be modded to accept RCR123s or 10440s or 14500?

Finally, what type of GTID O-rings can you put on the reflector and body to make it more stylish and easier to find in the dark?

The deal breaker for me here so far is the lanyard location. I'm not sure it can tail-stand. I have to figure out a way to make it tail-standable so I can use it as my EDC. :naughty: