Ra Twisty - Ramping Up?

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
My Ra Twisty 100t ocassionally ramps UP (steps UP in light levels) when I turn it to high from medium, after a brief hesitation. Does this happen to anyone else? What's it about? I thought its supposed to ramp DOWN when the battery is low...

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
My Ra Twisty 100t ocassionally ramps UP (steps UP in light levels) when I turn it to high from medium, after a brief hesitation. Does this happen to anyone else? What's it about? I thought its supposed to ramp DOWN when the battery is low...

Candle,
This usually occurs if your battery is somewhat depleted (less than 80% drained). I own a 85tr, and it exhibits this behavior as well..
The Twisty will step down when the battery is low (somewhere around 80% drained). When your Twisty steps up, it is the electronics trying to find the highest output possible within the means of the power source...
Nothing to be worried about.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
From the HDS website about the Twisty:
" The electronics precisely and efficiently adjust the voltage to the LED to generate the desired light output. It does not matter if the battery voltage is higher, lower or the same as the voltage needed by the LED. It does not matter if the battery voltage changes over time. It does not matter if the LED needs a higher voltage for the high power setting or a lower voltage for the low power setting. And it does not matter if the LED changes temperature over time."

I believe it's called Constant Power Regulation.

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
I dunno, it just did it from low to medium... Doesn't seem quite right. It's a little disconcerting to go to next level, then have the ramping rather than just be at the next level... any other thoughts on this? Thanks!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
My twisty glitched the other day after I changed the battery: every time I turned it on and went past low, it ramped up, and then started flashing. Similar to the OP.

I just reset it and it went away, but it was disconcerting.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
CandleLight001 and Enzo Morocioli,

What you are describing is what happens after your flashlight: 1) discovers that there is a problem with the available power, 2) has reduced the power to compensate and 3) is now trying to see if there is enough power to use the requested power level. The code is there to allow automatic recovery just in case a power glitch is detected - which is difficult to distinguish from a dying battery. This behavior has been in our flashlight designs for many years and is documented in the EDC Ultimate/Basic User manuals.

You will notice that once your flashlight has stepped down with a dying battery, you can turn your flashlight off and back to the previous setting and it will "ramp up" until it reaches the selected brightness or until the battery cannot provide the power and steps down again. Most batteries that are just beginning to die will recover enough after the light is turned off for 10 to 20 seconds to be able to power the original brightness level for at least a few seconds.

The primary reason for this behavior was to handle intermittent conditions that can develop with normal use. Once a power glitch is detected - which looks just like a dying battery - the flashlight blinks and the output power is reduced. The only way to get back to the previous output power level is to turn your flashlight off. When your flashlight is turned back on, the software assumes any previous restriction in output was a power glitch. When an output power level is selected that is higher than the restriction, your flashlight "ramps up" to test the power capability of the battery. If the problem was a power glitch or if the battery has recovered temporarily, ramping continues until you get the selected power level.

The thing you will notice about this algorithm is that the power issue actually happened the previous time the setting was used. The recovery does not happen until the next time the setting is used and then only after you turn your flashlight off and back on again. So the recovery may not be attempted until minutes, hours or even days after the power issue was originally detected.

The Ra Twisty uses a twisting motion to switch power settings and uses conductive threads for transferring power. During that twisting motion, the threads are active, which can lead to a power glitch. This is especially true if you apply about 4 pounds of compressive pressure between the head and tail, which will in turn relieve pressure on the threads. This can lead to an intermittent connection while changing power levels. This condition is much more likely to happen at higher power settings. Giving a slight tug on the two parts while twisting them will prevent this from happening.

Henry.

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Pow! What a thorough and clear response from Henry. Explains what's happening, then why it happens, then how to keep it from happening. And, it happens cuz of a pretty well thought out feature in the software. Thanks!

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast

What you are describing is what happens after your flashlight: 1) discovers that there is a problem with the available power, 2) has reduced the power to compensate and 3) is now trying to see if there is enough power to use the requested power level. The code is there to allow automatic recovery just in case a power glitch is detected - which is difficult to distinguish from a dying battery. This behavior has been in our flashlight designs for many years and is documented in the EDC Ultimate/Basic User manuals.

You will notice that once your flashlight has stepped down with a dying battery, you can turn your flashlight off and back to the previous setting and it will "ramp up" until it reaches the selected brightness or until the battery cannot provide the power and steps down again. Most batteries that are just beginning to die will recover enough after the light is turned off for 10 to 20 seconds to be able to power the original brightness level for at least a few seconds.

The primary reason for this behavior was to handle intermittent conditions that can develop with normal use. Once a power glitch is detected - which looks just like a dying battery - the flashlight blinks and the output power is reduced. The only way to get back to the previous output power level is to turn your flashlight off. When your flashlight is turned back on, the software assumes any previous restriction in output was a power glitch. When an output power level is selected that is higher than the restriction, your flashlight "ramps up" to test the power capability of the battery. If the problem was a power glitch or if the battery has recovered temporarily, ramping continues until you get the selected power level.

The thing you will notice about this algorithm is that the power issue actually happened the previous time the setting was used. The recovery does not happen until the next time the setting is used and then only after you turn your flashlight off and back on again. So the recovery may not be attempted until minutes, hours or even days after the power issue was originally detected.

The Ra Twisty uses a twisting motion to switch power settings and uses conductive threads for transferring power. During that twisting motion, the threads are active, which can lead to a power glitch. This is especially true if you apply about 4 pounds of compressive pressure between the head and tail, which will in turn relieve pressure on the threads. This can lead to an intermittent connection while changing power levels. This condition is much more likely to happen at higher power settings. Giving a slight tug on the two parts while twisting them will prevent this from happening.

Henry.

Bunch of dummies :shakehead

Didn't you guys know that?

:nana::poke: :)

Good info Henry. Thanks

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Henry.

This post indicates to me, the enormous amount of forethought and design that goes into the making of these lights.

I'm glad that Henry lets us in on some of these details, once in a while.

FredericoFreire

Enlightened
I don't know if it is a issue or it is normal. When I grab the Ra Twisty and turn further on to maximum, it just keeps blinking very slow and dim. Until I decide to turn backwards to off, and than turn on to the 1st level, it steps ramping up to that level, than I further turn to the next level, it ramps and reach that level. When this procedure is done, I'm able to turn it off and on fast and it recognize and work properly to the level required.

If I put the light on the shelve until the next day, I must do all the procedure again to let it re-learn, because the 1st try of the day is always a blinking dim light. :shrug:

Is is normal? Do I have a bad rechargeable?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
FredericoFreire,

Please contact customer service so they can help you. Please include a detailed description. E-mail is probably the most convenient way since you appear to be in Brazil.

Henry.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am ressurecting this thread. My Twisty when in customization mode just blinks like a slow strobe. There is no ramping up or down at all... I tried resetting, but no success. Now i am stuck with High/Medium/High and totally lost my favorite function of the light (85-TR's low red)... any suggestions?