Getting a bezel down setup for my E2D defender

firebert

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new here, been looking around these forums for a few days and decided to join!

but anyways down to the point. After owning a few mag lights, I decided to step into serious torch territory, and I happily got a E2D however, I very much dislike the bezel up pocket clip position.:sick2:

I have been searching around for a bezel down solution and haven't found much, I have seen what looks like seeing some people drill out the top cap and put screws through some metal, but I don't have the tools to tap out my own holes. ( are they possibly using the existing holes?)

Is the any links or info that you guys could refer me too on getting a bezel down setup! any help is appreciated!

Rossymeister

Enlightened
You could put an E1B pocket clip on the E2D. All of the Surefire E-Series parts are interchangeable.

firebert

Newly Enlightened
that would be awesome, should I contact surefire directly or should I try searching for it on some other website?

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Uh, E1B clip won't go on an E2D (per Surefire). And even if it did, realizing that the E2D is quite a bit longer from the head than the E1B, even bezel down using the E1B clip would still have 1.5 or more inches of E2D sticking out of the pocket.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Uh, E1B clip won't go on an E2D (per Surefire). And even if it did, realizing that the E2D is quite a bit longer from the head than the E1B, even bezel down using the E1B clip would still have 1.5 or more inches of E2D sticking out of the pocket.

I have used the E1B clip on an E2D for bezel down belt carry. I find the combination to be quite ergonomic.

Photo38.jpg

firebert

Newly Enlightened
wow that image helps me out alot, now I can see what it would look like! Thanks a million for the image, now its time to get my hands on some clips!

I have used the E1B clip on an E2D for bezel down belt carry. I find the combination to be quite ergonomic.

Photo38.jpg

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could post a WTB in the marketplace.

I doubt that surefire would just sell the pocket clip, but it wouldn`t hurt to call.

Surefire Contact Information

Per Stuart Yager at Surefire Technical Support, his email response to me was:

"Dear Sir,
Unfortunately those are not for sale separately.

Stuart Yager
Technical Support
800-828-8809"

However, I do remember a post here on CPF where someone called SF and they agreed to send them a clip at no charge... I guess they just don't like me :green:

Rossymeister

Enlightened

"Dear Sir,

Stuart Yager
Technical Support
800-828-8809"

However, I do remember a post here on CPF where someone called SF and they agreed to send them a clip at no charge... I guess they just don't like me :green:

I guess the only other option is the marketplace.

Good Luck

firebert

Newly Enlightened

"Dear Sir,

Stuart Yager
Technical Support
800-828-8809"

hm thats a shame, im going to have to look into those custom mods that some people do, i think that would work better anyways, seeing as how it would have the flashlight deeper in my pocket.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
hm thats a shame, im going to have to look into those custom mods that some people do, i think that would work better anyways, seeing as how it would have the flashlight deeper in my pocket.

Perhaps you could affix a custom clip to the lanyard hole in the tailcap.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bezel-down fan, and have modified several lights with clips, but you do need to set yourself up the proper tools. I use a drill press, automatic center punch, small center drill, a drill set and hand taps.

Here are some clips I have installed on light that have been chromed. One is a titanium McGizmo clip on the flare of an Aleph 2 cell tube, and the second is a knife clip installed on an E2D tailcap. The knife clip holes straddle the stock hole.

dsc1415tx1.jpg

dsc1416gi7.jpg

It's not difficult if you have some experience working with metal, but if you don't I'd suggest enlisting some help.

firebert

Newly Enlightened
I'm a bezel-down fan, and have modified several lights with clips, but you do need to set yourself up the proper tools. I use a drill press, automatic center punch, small center drill, a drill set and hand taps.

Here are some clips I have installed on light that have been chromed. One is a titanium McGizmo clip on the flare of an Aleph 2 cell tube, and the second is a knife clip installed on an E2D tailcap. The knife clip holes straddle the stock hole.

dsc1415tx1.jpg

dsc1416gi7.jpg

It's not difficult if you have some experience working with metal, but if you don't I'd suggest enlisting some help.

Nice work! I believe I can get access to those sorts of tools, however Im lost as far as where to get clips, Is there an online place that sells them? or do you just kinda find em as you go.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine here. Model 8 is pictured above, I've also used model 19 on lights as well. You will need to form the attachment end into a curve that fits the light. The clips come with flat ends. I made a fixture with a male and female die that I clamp in a vise to form a radius. The fixture is just a piece of shaft and a cut shaft collar similar in dia. to a light, 3/4" I think.

Model 8 comes with screws that have a 6 pt. head. The screws are 2.5x45mm, but often I replace them with fractional #2-56, #3-48, or #4-40 depending on the application. I ordered my taps and SS button head socket cap screws from McMaster-Carr.

Last edited:

firebert

Newly Enlightened
I got mine here. Model 8 is pictured above, I've also used model 19 on lights as well. You will need to form the attachment end into a curve that fits the light. The clips come with flat ends. I made a fixture with a male and female die that I clamp in a vise to form a radius. The fixture is just a piece of shaft and a cut shaft collar similar in dia. to a light, 3/4" I think.

Model 8 comes with screws that have a 6 pt. head. The screws are 2.5x45mm, but often I replace them with fractional #2-56, #3-48, or #4-40 depending on the application. I ordered my taps and SS button head socket cap screws from McMaster-Carr.

wow, thats the kinda website i needed! gimmie a week and hopefully i can show you guys some pics when i try to do this from my self!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also need to drill out the clearance holes in the clip depending on which size bolt you use. Do this before you form the end. For the model 8 clip I think #3 bolts worked best. Try to keep the clearance tight so the clip doesn't have much play even if the bolts come loose. You don't have much metal to thread into, so be accurate and make the threads count.

After test fitting, I also fill the clearance holes with JB weld during final assembly. The JB weld acts as a thread lock, and fills any voids preventing the clip from moving side to side without having to over-torque the bolts and stress the threads.

Good luck and welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

firebert

Newly Enlightened
You might also need to drill out the clearance holes in the clip depending on which size bolt you use. Do this before you form the end. For the model 8 clip I think #3 bolts worked best. Try to keep the clearance tight so the clip doesn't have much play even if loose. You don't have much metal to thread into, so be accurate and make the threads count.

After test fitting, I also fill the clearance holes with JB weld during final assembly. The JB weld acts as a thread lock, and fills any voids preventing the clip from moving side to side without having to over-torque the bolts and stress the threads.

Good luck and welcome to CPF!

Thanks for all the info! I def have some JB weld sitting around. I'm liking this forum more and more everyday. You guys rock.