- 50%

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_p3d_ce_q5/

When im looking at the figures in this review for battery life, and they say something like 5 hours to 50%, what exactly are they refering too? 5 hours until the batteries are half used? 5 hours till the brightness is half of that mode? 5 hours till the battery indicator comes on, and then you can choose a lower level? I mean if i see 5 hours, does that mean after the 5 hours of that mode, that i can put it on a lower mode, and have hours more light using the other half of the battery power?

I find this a little confusing. I am trying to figure this all out and remember it, so i know if i put new batteries in, it will last THIS long, or it will last THIS long, and then i have to turn the power down, onto THAT mode, and it will last quite a while more.

Anyone help me with this lieelt dilemma?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 50% measurement isn't the best way to measure runtime, a graph is much better.
Some lights are 2 hours to 50% then another 5 mins until nearly 0%. Others hit 50% quicker and steadily continue to dim like direct driven lights.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
The 50% measurement isn't the best way to measure runtime, a graph is much better.
Some lights are 2 hours to 50% then another 5 mins until nearly 0%. Others hit 50% quicker and steadily continue to dim like direct driven lights.

This is all because the power is regulated, right?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all because the power is regulated, right?

Righto...years ago on CPF there was a debate about the best way to measure run time...the vote was that would be 1/2 100%.

That standard stuck and remains I believe the best way to measure...but it`s true...does not always tell the rest of the story. Just the brighter half...many folks don`t care that much about the tail. At 1/2 they are changing/charging the batt...me too.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont like non regulated lights. If i buy a mag, and the lumens drop off and drop off and drop off, then whats the point in quoting lumens at all? its worthless. I love regulation, becuase you get what you pay for.

I looked at the graphs (which i forgot to do) and it all makes much more sense now. Also with me using AW RCR the drop off is very quick, compared to primaries.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
I dont like non regulated lights. If i buy a mag, and the lumens drop off and drop off and drop off, then whats the point in quoting lumens at all? its worthless. I love regulation, becuase you get what you pay for.

Before CPF, I thought those (non-regulated) LED lights I bought from catalogs were cool because I didn't know any better. Now I give them away or leave them somewhere in public so someone else can use them.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, to me its a big con. Just because a light has 60 lumens for the first 5 mins before going down in steady steps, should not give you the right to market a light as 60 lumens. At least tell people "60 lumens for about the first 10 mins, then it spirals down and down from then for the next 1 hour and then is dead."

I bet they would not sell as many, but then they have to sell them. If i want 60 lumens, god damn it i need 60 lumens, not 45. If i want low power i will CHOOSE to set my light to low power or use a low power light. I can guarentee that my LED lights are pretty much constent, and fluctuate only minimally, and stay in the same area. I just hate non regulated lights, hate them with a cap F. Maybe you can tell :D

NoixPecan

Newly Enlightened
Problem is that without seeing a graph, you cannot know how good the regulator is. These are many cheap lights advertised as regulated, but with a lame slope in their graph.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, 50% is used because that is where the decrease is brightness first becomes visually noticeable. Because of the logrhythmic way our eyes perceive light we do not readily notice a gradual 20% or 30% decrease vs a 20 or 30% jump. I could be wrong but remember reading that somewhere.