Any Mag 2D case ideas

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
I'm a hunter with a new quad cree Mag 2D. I would like to take it hunting with me, but I hate to get it all scratched and dinged up inside my hunting bag. I've looked around for a Mag case but haven't found anything. It needs to be light weight, hard and small enough to fit in a back pack. Can anyone point me to one or have any good ideas on building one. Thanks!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
socks...ingenious especially for a hunter , never know when you step into huge puddles in the woods and need a spare

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
I've thought about the sock idea. Infact, I'm currently using 3 socks. But I still don't think it proves enough protection. Any other ideas?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've thought about the sock idea. Infact, I'm currently using 3 socks. But I still don't think it proves enough protection. Any other ideas?

Roll it up in a quality towel. (I don't mean paper towel).

Then just fold the ends and secure them with duct tape.

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
2D Maglite should easily fit inside a Pelican hard-shell case.

Lighthound.com sells a variety of them. Not sure if one will easily fit inside a backpack. Guess it depends on how big your pack happens to be.

LINK~ (Scroll down a bit).
http://www.lighthound.com/search.asp?keyword=Case&sortby=1&catid=64

Thanks for the link, but the lighthound cases probably won't meet my needs. They are either too big or too small.

As for the towel and socks, I still would prefer a hard case for the light.

Maybe there isn't anything out there to fit my need.
Socks still looking the best right now. :sigh:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ever see that rubber handle dip stuff? Well, here is what you do:

Cover the light completely in a plastic bag or several layers of plastic wrap. Insert into one large heavily padded sock (think thick wool). Dip or cover with liberal amounts of the rubber dip. Don't cover anything past the bezel. While still wet, roll a second sock over the first. Gently squeeze together for a good bond, then let dry. After it's dry, remove the Mag and bag liner. You should now have soft lined container with a sturdy internal shell.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever see that rubber handle dip stuff? Well, here is what you do:

Cover the light completely in a plastic bag or several layers of plastic wrap. Insert into one large heavily padded sock (think thick wool). Dip or cover with liberal amounts of the rubber dip. Don't cover anything past the bezel. While still wet, roll a second sock over the first. Gently squeeze together for a good bond, then let dry. After it's dry, remove the Mag and bag liner. You should now have soft lined container with a sturdy internal shell.

Nice Idea!
Now i have use for the 2 cans of plasti-dip spray! :devil:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'd try looking for plastic drain pipe with end caps. Roll some sheet foam up for the inside.

However, personally I'd use the light and let it get some character marks!

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
I made this today...

09022008010-2.jpg

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
I used 3 inch pvc pipes, 2 treaded caps, cap ends, (not sure if that is the right terminalogy) an unused laptop strap and some foam sheets. ~$14

I cut the pvc pipe to about 10' put all the pieces together and spray painted it black.

I drilled holes into the body and attached a string loop for the strap.

I lined the body with the foam sheets and cut circular sheets for the bottom and top. I added another rectangular strip to the interior to fill more space since the head is larger than the body.

The mag fits very snuggly. It doesn't move and is still easy to get out.

IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg