As a gift, SF G2 or PM6?

Brock

Flashaholic
I would think the G2 would hold up better in the long run and it gives you more options for accessories. I personally like the beam better in the SF, but that might just be me.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the PM6 because of it's long throw with adjustable focus and it's aluminum. It has a better throw than the surefire 9P that I compared it with. I also like my G2 when a little bit smaller flash light is needed.

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
If price wasn't a factor, my opinion is the Pelican M6 is a better light. All aluminum, adjustable focus, and cheaper bulb replacement. It also comes with a carrying case. Fit and finish could be better though, as some of the edges were slightly coarse and mine came with a small nick on the side.

I have a G2 also, good light and you can't go wrong. It feels good in the hand although the mometary switch is a bit sensitive. Since the G2 is somewhere around $8 cheaper, it is a great buy.

As a gift to someone not into flashlights (and the SureFire brand name), the PM6 is probably better. Aluminum construction with manufacturer claimed better bulb life and cheaper replacement. Disregarding brand name, the PM6 definitely feels like a far more expensive light.

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
As for PM6, is it packaged in a box like Surefire, ot it is in a plastic blister like SL Scoripon?

eel

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2. I had a M6 and just could not get used to the feel of the tailcap switch.

The M6 that I bought came boxed up like a Surefire.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I would think the Pelican M6 as a gift, only because as BrianC pointed out --

[ QUOTE ]
... As a gift to someone not into flashlights (and the SureFire brand name), the PM6 is probably better. Aluminum construction with manufacturer claimed better bulb life and cheaper replacement. Disregarding brand name, the PM6 definitely feels like a far more expensive light.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was pretty much on my mind as well when I was recently picking out some gifts for some non-flashlight aficionados. A big plus is the nylon holster that comes with the Pelican M6.

When I gave a G2 as a gift, I knew my friend wouldn't carry it unless it had a holster... so I had to order a V21 nylon holster from SureFire.

If anything, the G2 is still an excellent light as a gift. Ahem... *cough* my birthday *cough* coming up... *cough*

-Jim

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Even though the G2 has a non-LOTC you can lock it out with 1.75 - 2 cc revolutions of the bezel. This will not work with some older aluminum versions of the 6P family.

The PM6 is a remarkable light, but at 5.5" long and 5.8oz, with the exception of the M2 it is the biggest and heaviest of the popular 2x123 lights (including the LX Legend).

Brightnorm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM6 would probably be a better gift. For a non-flashaholic, the PM6 would be closer to a "non-cheap" flashlight...

paulr

Flashaholic
Think twice before giving a lithium powered flashlight to a non-flashaholic. I won't say don't do it--the lights are nice, if the recipient is the kind of person willing to deal with the relatively uncommon batteries. If you go with it anyway, include some spare 123's and make sure to tell the recipient where to get more cheap 123's and what to expect to pay for them. Think also of the Streamlight Scorpion, or the AA-powered Princeton Tec PT40.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
eelnoraa said:
As for PM6, is it packaged in a box like Surefire, ot it is in a plastic blister like SL Scoripon?

eel

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a silver Pelican M6 which came in a box, but I understand they are also available in blister packs as well. It's very bright and sturdy so it should prove to be quite durable. In my opinion, the fit and finish is okay, but as far as aluminum bodied lights go, it's nowhere near a Surefire, Arc or Inova. My sample has visible tooling marks, but they're only small cosmetic flaws that have no effect on the light's function. Overall, I like the light and feel it's a good buy for the money, but my only real gripe is the tailcap switch. Let me just say that the momentary on/off switch feature doesn't always want to work on my model. Twisting it on and off works fine, but the push botton activation for momentary use seems flawed. I don't know if all M6's have the same problem or if mine is just an isolated case, but last week I emailed Pelican regarding the problem, and have yet to receive a response.

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for all your advices and ideas. They are very helpful.

paulr
I think you brought out a very important point. Giving a lithium powered light to a someone that does not know a lot of flashlight may not be such a good idea.

I think besides these two lights, I will also consider light with "normal" power soure.

Thanks again

eel

paulr

Flashaholic
If you were thinking of a lithium light to impress them with brightness, you could get them a PT Surge, made of plastic and looking like a typical 2D household light, but powered by eight AA's and brighter than most of the 2x123 lights mentioned.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's not time sensitive you could wait for the new Streamlight twin tasks which are both LED and Xenon and will be available with the choice of lithium or common battery configurations. I think they will be a good way to bring non-flashaholics over to the dark...er ...I mean bright side! They will be very affordable too. They are available for preorder at Brightguy.

I just saw that Electrolumens is having a sale on the Blaster II in green for $49.99 that would be a great gift and easy for a newbie to operate and supply with batteries.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Blaster II is a pretty big light if I remember. I don't know if that's an issue. The Twin Tasks are a very good suggestion.

If the idea is to introduce someone to the joys of flashaholism without making them deal with weird batteries, here's a possibly off-the-wall idea: CMG Reactor 3. Powered by three AA's and has a 1 watt Luxeon, and costs around 30 bucks, comparable to the G2 and so forth. A more upscale approach would be an Arc LS with the 2AA pack.

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Even though the G2 has a non-LOTC you can lock it out with 1.75 - 2 cc revolutions of the bezel. This will not work with some older aluminum versions of the 6P family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tried this on my G2 and this does not seem to work. I turned the tail cap almost to the point of falling off and can still activate the push button. Just FYI...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BrianC said:
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tried this on my G2 and this does not seem to work. I turned the tail cap almost to the point of falling off and can still activate the push button. Just FYI...

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian,

A possible misunderstanding: I was referring to the bezel which should be turned approx 2 cc revolutions, not the tailcap. When the bezel is fully locked out the G2 will not light, even if the tailcap is screwed all the way in to "locked-in" position.

Perhaps your bezel requires a bit more turning. I have found that this works on both of my G2's. If it doesn't work on yours then either your G2 is atypical, or mine are.

In the old pre-LOTC days, I couldn't get this to reliably work with the old 6P's, and I was pleasantly surprised that it worked so well with the G2. I hope you can get yours to lock out.

Brightnorm